Extensions Plus

No job,,,how do you feel??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Keira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 10:19am
  To all of my brothers and sisters , I feel your pain like no other. I graduated from college over a year ago and it has been a struggle since that day. I was one of the first to graduate from college in my family so I was not fortunate enough to have that "Uncle or Aunt" in high places like some of my classmate who had jobs line up for them. I also never had financial support from ANYBODY during college or currently and my student loans are evidence.LOL

Waynehead, I am just like you when it comes to compromising and I feel like I can be that way because thats what I went to school for but my family sounds just like yours. I always tell my Mom to compromise is equivalent to failure in my eyes. Even as a child I always had higher paying jobs than my peers. In high school I taught myself how to properly swim in order to become a Lifeguard which paid double min. wage at the time. I have been able to find work in Sales but I have hated all of them. These companies understand that our Nation is in an economic struggle and they treat their employees accordingly. I was doing outside sales in Texas HOT heat and driving my own car around town, and they had the nerve to not even pay me enough in gas money. I had to quit that mess.

At one point I was so depressed I wasnt eating or sleeping and lost close to 15 pounds. With prayer and patience I am now alot better.I have learned not to stress as much and just thank God for the simple things in life like having a place to lay my head at night. I have recently decided to join the military by the end of this summer because they will pay off all of my 50k and the sign on bonuses are great right now. I plan to gain experince, discipline and at some point apply for Law School. While I dont believe the military is for everybody it is something to consider. With a degree,military experience and the help of President ObamaWink in six years getting a job should be piece of cake. Ok, well I will stop talking yall heads off. You ALL are in prayers, and we will make it!
Sponsored Links

WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 10:54am
Yea, thanks Keira!! Good luck with the military.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 2:58pm
Hey, Waynehead...

I'm still going through the replies to this thread, but wanted to know what methods you are using to get your resume out there.

I understand what you are saying about both not wanting to be a burden, but also not wanting to just snatch up anything that's thrown at you--and applaud you for the latter, because you've worked too hard for your degree to do that.

Have you tried employment agencies?  It's easier to take your time and look for what you want/interview for what you want when you have a little sum'n sum'n to yield a paycheck, and most of these office temp jobs are low-key...

I started at my current job almost 2 years ago, and I remember that period right before I did--about a 3-4 month stretch, being so despressed that I just distanced myself from everyone--wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping, and was so stressed I'm surprised I didn't do serious harm to my health.  I put my resume up on Craigslist, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc.  That's how my current job found me, and let me tell you, I'm really glad they did.  It's def. not what I want to be doing with my life (this is mostly admin work) but for the pay and benefits, I'm not complaining 'tall.  And, while I'm here, I'm working on a degree.

Exposure is key, and please don't settle for a retail job unless you absolutely have to (which is respectful--something is better than nothing).

Good luck on your search though, and don't give up/give in.

Edited by CLCNY20 - Jun 25 2008 at 3:04pm
Lovely_Lady82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovely_Lady82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 5:19pm

Hey ladies

I must say that yesterday was the breaking point for me.  Last night I called my mama crying telling her how much I need I job.  She just consoled me and told me that things would work out.  She's the only one that's been in my corner since I decided to find something in my career field.  She said she was gonna pray for me and to not worry about what everybody else was saying (ya'll know how folks try to put pressure on you to make MONEY they can care less about a career goal).  Well I went to bed, and woke up really early 6:30am, and I got on craigslist and lo and behold there was a post for "Entry Level Legal Secretary".  Somebody had posted it at 12:30 that same morning.  Ya'll I just knew this was a sign from God.  So I emailed my resume and the man called me back that morning and set up an interview for the same day.  The interview went well, and he was defiently impresses.  He's gonna make a decision by Friday. 
Just decided to share my story to let ya'll know that there is hope and don't give up. 
And to testify!!

Edited by Lovely_Lady82 - Jun 25 2008 at 5:21pm
LaurenC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Lovely_Lady82 Lovely_Lady82 wrote:

Hey ladies

I must say that yesterday was the breaking point for me.  Last night I called my mama crying telling her how much I need I job.  She just consoled me and told me that things would work out.  She's the only one that's been in my corner since I decided to find something in my career field.  She said she was gonna pray for me and to not worry about what everybody else was saying (ya'll know how folks try to put pressure on you to make MONEY they can care less about a career goal).  Well I went to bed, and woke up really early 6:30am, and I got on craigslist and lo and behold there was a post for "Entry Level Legal Secretary".  Somebody had posted it at 12:30 that same morning.  Ya'll I just knew this was a sign from God.  So I emailed my resume and the man called me back that morning and set up an interview for the same day.  The interview went well, and he was defiently impresses.  He's gonna make a decision by Friday. 
Just decided to share my story to let ya'll know that there is hope and don't give up. 
And to testify!!

don't get your hopes up and then get crushed.  that will only put you into a deeper depression.

just think about it like this... you don't know if this job is YOURS. but if it is then it will be, if it's not it never was and you didnt miss out on anything. 

think this way and you won't disappoint yourself so much. i had to learn this myself.
WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 10:17pm
Thanks! Yea, Ive been to employment agencies for "regular" jobs and they have been no help at all.. I suppose its bc of my lack of experience. I be on all those sites and rarely hear back from anyone.....I'm definately not giving up yet, I havent even been out of school a year yet.

Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

Hey, Waynehead...

I'm still going through the replies to this thread, but wanted to know what methods you are using to get your resume out there.

I understand what you are saying about both not wanting to be a burden, but also not wanting to just snatch up anything that's thrown at you--and applaud you for the latter, because you've worked too hard for your degree to do that.

Have you tried employment agencies?  It's easier to take your time and look for what you want/interview for what you want when you have a little sum'n sum'n to yield a paycheck, and most of these office temp jobs are low-key...

I started at my current job almost 2 years ago, and I remember that period right before I did--about a 3-4 month stretch, being so despressed that I just distanced myself from everyone--wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping, and was so stressed I'm surprised I didn't do serious harm to my health.  I put my resume up on Craigslist, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc.  That's how my current job found me, and let me tell you, I'm really glad they did.  It's def. not what I want to be doing with my life (this is mostly admin work) but for the pay and benefits, I'm not complaining 'tall.  And, while I'm here, I'm working on a degree.

Exposure is key, and please don't settle for a retail job unless you absolutely have to (which is respectful--something is better than nothing).

Good luck on your search though, and don't give up/give in.

WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 10:22pm
That's soooo true (the part I bolded) and thats what im going through now.  But that's great!! I hope you get it!!!!!!

Thanks for your testimony! God is good all the time, all the time God is good! He might not answer when you call him, but he is always on time! Amen! lol

Originally posted by Lovely_Lady82 Lovely_Lady82 wrote:

Hey ladies

And to testify!!
Keena76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keena76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 12:00am
I'm still unemployed because I'm picky, I don't want to work in a certain area and I don't want to work in the city.  I still have a few more months to be picky, so why not take an opportunity to go for what I want.  I have a backup in place just in case.

Usually, when it comes to your desired career goal it takes PATIENCE and PERSISTENCE.  My one friend didn't work for like 7 months because she only wanted a Payroll position (she was an Admin for years).  Her persistence paid off.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 8:46am
I found this article this morning, might be of some help?

melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 9:02am
Originally posted by WayneHead WayneHead wrote:

Are we unemployed because it's almost impossible to get a job or maybe because we are being too picky??

I graduated from college in December and since they're not many opportunities in my field locally, I've been settling and looking for just a general office job., but I haven't had any luck. Ok, so that's not working... My people are telling me to just get ANY job...(grocery store,fast food, cashier type jobs, or any minimal paying job) I agree that I probably should do this, but I think it will totally kill my self-esteem...I mean not as if not having a job and money right now isn't bad...but I guess I'm saying it will hurt my pride, but atleast I will have money... Cry

Does anyone else feel like this?
 i had the same problem last year i didnt work all summer because i wanted to get a good paying job  and not settle for a minimum wage job or call centre job and i missed a lot last summer because i didnt have a job i couldnt go anywhere or travel  and i rarely did or buy anything because i had no money  now i regret it so much i wished that i had listened to my parents  and  i had just taken any job that i can get  because at least i would have money  ..  my advice to you is to take what you can get  trust me  its better to work in a job you dont like and have money   than to have no money at all because of pride.  and plus you better your chances of finding a job when you already in a job

Edited by melly - Jun 26 2008 at 9:03am
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
  Share Topic