Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
glamrock View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 3:49am
OP, have you considered substitute teaching?   Possibly checking for a job at your Town Hall?
Sponsored Links

WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 9:32am
Originally posted by luvhair luvhair wrote:

what's your field?

My field is sport and entertainment management, I'm looking to do something at a sports& ent. arena because I've done two internships in that type of environment...
WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 9:43am
Originally posted by glamrock glamrock wrote:

OP, have you considered substitute teaching?   Possibly checking for a job at your Town Hall?

I've never considered it just because I didnt want to do it Confused ... but EVERYBODY  was telling me to do that all through the spring...

i know its not about me doing what i want to do, but there are just a few things i feel like i cant do and not just bc i dont want to, but bc i think id be miserable, etc. ( but those are just person flaws,i know probably could do it if i tried and overcame my insecurities and downfalls)

but ive been applying for all kinds of other jobs and i cant get anything i dunno if its because i dont really have the work experience or what..
ilovhairweave View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovhairweave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 11:03am
Cry I feel so depressed the thing is im still in school most of you ladies have a degree and ect (experience in these decent paying fields). Im with a temp agency but he never contacted me back. Im suppose to take another data entry test its been 2 weeks no call and he said he would. I think tomarrow im call. Today (lol if you see my post) on the talk talk talk board unemployment called me not even 15 min ago and said im not eligible. SMH I have bills, nothing but 18 dollas to my name from my last check which i got Sat night, and mentally/ emotionally worn out to the core.  I dont want to go out, relationship wise i feel like im not getting any support, and my pops is unemployed as well! My mom is the only provider and thats killing me.
WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 11:44am
*sigh*...keep your head up, something will come about for us.....eventually. im very frustrated over this, but i refuse to let it get me all the way down.
luvhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 7:27pm
I've worked with temp agencies for about 2/3 years on and off. the key is to be registered with AS MANY AS POSSIBLE. Even though I was looking for a perm job, I would temp a couple times a week just to put some money in my pockets. Adecco is a good agency they pay more than most.

The only thing is that they like to call u early in the morning last minute asking if u wanna work. But you have the option of telling them no or yes, so you're not obligated to go.

Good luck to everyone. Don't give up! Keep the faith!
AlabamaKinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlabamaKinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by WayneHead WayneHead wrote:

My field is sport and entertainment management

DAMN! Ouch

Sooooooooooooooo, do you or do you know anyone with connections?
Have you tried online networking?
What state/city are you in?
How do you feel about taking another intership?

Edited by AlabamaKinks - Jun 23 2008 at 9:30pm
WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 10:36pm
nope, not really...
no..
im in south carolina (enough said...lol)
im cool with it, i saw one in NC that i can commute to, that im possibly interested in (it's paid too!) im going to apply for it. wish me luck.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2008 at 12:15pm
^^^ Wayne, i'm from Charlotte and I know you can probably get an internship with the Bobcats however its UNPAID. Bob Johnson doesn't pay any of his interns but the experience is valuable.

Sports entertainment industry is VERY hard to get into. Most ppl have to start out doing unpaid internships (ever after they graduate) because the field is so competitive.

You also need to expand your area. You may have to relocate to another state to open up more opportunities. I can tell you now, SC ain't gone get it. Unless you're trying to stay on the college level sports.

I would also suggest you look into going to graduate school. Going into a program that has reputation for placing their students is key. Not to mention, it helps if they have a good overall sports program, mostly the flagship schools in each state.

Have you tried reaching back to any of your old professors or alumni?

My brothers best friend went to USC(Gamecocks) and majored in sports entertainment. He went on to work for the PGA tour for a few years and traveled all around the country. He did lots of interns and networking with alumni.
WayneHead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2008 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

^^^ Wayne, i'm from Charlotte and I know you can probably get an internship with the Bobcats however its UNPAID. Bob Johnson doesn't pay any of his interns but the experience is valuable.

Sports entertainment industry is VERY hard to get into. Most ppl have to start out doing unpaid internships (ever after they graduate) because the field is so competitive.

You also need to expand your area. You may have to relocate to another state to open up more opportunities. I can tell you now, SC ain't gone get it. Unless you're trying to stay on the college level sports.

I would also suggest you look into going to graduate school. Going into a program that has reputation for placing their students is key. Not to mention, it helps if they have a good overall sports program, mostly the flagship schools in each state.

Have you tried reaching back to any of your old professors or alumni?

My brothers best friend went to USC(Gamecocks) and majored in sports entertainment. He went on to work for the PGA tour for a few years and traveled all around the country. He did lots of interns and networking with alumni.

I live about 45 minutes away from Charlotte and I went to USC!

I've done 2 unpaid internships one at the Bilo Center in greenville and one at the Wachovia Center (76ers arena) in Philly.

The internships at the Bobcats /Time Warner Arena are for current students only...(at this point in my life, im struggling and need some income..)

I know I need to move, but I cant move without a place to live, money, or a job waiting on me..

I'm not feeling going back to school now...lol

Our department at school send us out listings and stuff, but usually things im not qualified for experience wise..

Today, I applied for this paid internship for the Big South Conference in Charlotte..

I think I would like working at an arena like the Cricket Arena, but they dont have any openings...

The Bobcats only have openings for like things I dont have experience with nor desire to do, such as sales... 

I definately need to do more networking, thats's the key for this industry...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic