Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nigerian Family Face Racism, Threats in Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Nigerian Family Face Racism, Threats in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nigerian Family Face Racism, Threats in Ireland
    Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 1:51am
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/06/nigerian-family-forced-leave-new-home-ireland-due-racism-threats/

Nigerian Family Forced to Leave New Home in Ireland Due to Racism and Threats

by Britni Danielle — Jun 20, 2014

A Nigerian family was forced to vacate their new home in Belfast, Ireland after a series of protests and taunts.

Michael Abiona says he had to leave his government-owned home after a week of anti-immigrant protests that felt eerily similar to a racially motivated attack he experienced in the past. According to the Guardian, a group of people held up signs with Houses 4 Local People” and “We need Homes 2,” painted on them.

While the group claimed their protest wasn’t about race, Abiona, who was granted the house because he’s disabled, wonders why he was singled out.

“I am just worried about the atmosphere after this latest incident,” he told the Guardian. “The people protesting told me it was nothing to do with racism but I asked them why, if they have a grievance about housing in the area, are they picking on me?

“It might be indirect racism at best but it was very much direct intimidation. I tried to tell them that I am not the one who judges who gets a house and who does not. Actually they knew nothing about or the fact that I have lived in Belfast for four years and the UK for eight. ”

Belfast has experienced an uptick in racially motivated crimes as of late. Last year, anti-Black graffiti was sprayed on a house occupied by two Nigerian men, and this year racist attacks have increased.

Racist graffiti in Belfast, 2013. Photograph: Stephen Barnes/Demotix/Corbis

Abiona has also been a victim of a racist assault. In 2011, he was chased by a group of teenage boys.

“This also took place in East Belfast and it involved teenage boys throwing stones and bottles at me as I passed by in the street,” he explained. “They then chased me down the street carrying iron rods and threatened me.

“Only for a good neighbor who saw what was going on and came out to take me inside his house, and stand up to these youths I would have been badly beaten up or worse.”

Protestors say their beef with Abiona has nothing to do with race, but rather housing. A local resident told the BBC, “We’re actually horrified we’re being called racist, because if you come up into our community at 3pm, and see the children getting out of school and the people, this is a mixed community.”

Liam Kinney of the Housing Executive said race was definitely a factor, and the situation was “becoming slightly worrying in Belfast over the past few months.”

Kinney explained, “We have probably over 10 cases now, particularly in south and east Belfast, where people have been prohibited moving into properties that were entitled to those properties.”

Abiona said he doesn’t want to leave Northern Ireland, but he’s afraid for his young son.

“The safety of my son comes first. His mother told me she would not allow him to come and visit me there,” he told the BBC. “My son comes first, so I’m not going to go back to the premises.”

Sponsored Links

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 2:34am
poor guy....those folks are sickening....racist,  drunk irish whites....
Missvw View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Missvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 2:59am
That's terrible
KittenWhip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote KittenWhip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 9:10am
I work with a lot of people whose ancestors are from Ireland.  Some of the most racists folks I've ever met. 
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 9:29am
^^^^^And isn't it ironic that Irish people were discriminated when they arrived here in the US and also in the UK? People who were prejudiced always pick on blacks to feel better about themselves. I see it a lot of that on Hispanics here in LA; they are brown but they feel superior over blacks.
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

^^^^^And isn't it ironic that Irish people were discriminated when they arrived here in the US and also in the UK? People who were prejudiced always pick on blacks to feel better about themselves. I see it a lot of that on Hispanics here in LA; they are brown but they feel superior over blacks.

Very true
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 12:15pm
blefast

home of the ira

the irish (read ira) hate blacks ..
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 12:42pm
How did a disabled Nigerian immigrant end up in belfast to begin with?  Not the place I would have chosen to settle down in if I was disabled...

Edited by Tbaby - Jun 21 2014 at 12:46pm
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 6:23pm
So if black people did this to whites in Africa............................and Aborigines did this to whites in Australia.................................And Native Americans did this to whites in America.........................................Stern Smile

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

How did a disabled Nigerian immigrant end up in belfast to begin with?  Not the place I would have chosen to settle down in if I was disabled...

Let me to you this, where there is land, and a way to get money. You will find a NIGERIAN
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>