Forum Home Forum Home > Children's Hair > Children's Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

newborn hair care

Post Reply Post Reply
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
Mahogany_Bliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahogany_Bliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newborn hair care
    Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 9:42pm
I have a 2 week old. Any hair care tips to begin her natural hair journey? I don't want her hair and scalp to be dried out by the Johnson and Johnson shampoo. She has a combination of type 1 in the front and top and 3a in the back. Her texture is not coarse at all and is very soft.
Sponsored Links

petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 7:40am
'Most newborns have very soft fine hair. Its not the real texture yet. She just got here. Let the baby be.
Mahogany_Bliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahogany_Bliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2014 at 9:27pm
Thank you very much. I had very dry skin as an infant through my teenage years. My objective with posting a question about her hair was to solicit advice on how to keep her scalp moisturized. I don't want her having the dry scalp and skin I had. I understand she just got here, however I dont want her skin or scalp to be dry regardless. I'd like her to keep her hair but if she doesn't I don't want it to because I didn't care for it appropriately by allowing her scalp to be dry. I feel as though the J&J products are definitely drying it out causing her scalp to flake. That's the last thing I want.
2Juicy4U View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Juicy4U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2015 at 1:20pm

Most of the commercial products like J&J, Aveeno, etc are still harsh esp for newborns. You can google products to find out their chemical ratings. I google mostly everything. I went totally natural with my baby. We used olive oil for her scalp and skin. Castor oil is a little heavier so a good option for thick hair or more moisture but too thick for the skin IMO. Use baby wash/soap and shampoos that are natural or that are mostly natural. Try castile soap and Yardley Oatmeal or Shea Butter soap. Raw shea butter and mango butter works for skin and hair. When I needed a little more, I turned to Shea Moisture baby line. They have several lines now. I try to be mostly natural with my skin and hair products as well. My daughter is now 2 going on 3. I allowed some of the products like J&J (bubble bath) & Aveeno (eczema bath & eczema lotion) as she got older but in moderation. You will have to try many things to see what works for your child’s skin and hair. BTW, my daughter doesn’t have eczema but I find Aveeno and the other eczema lines to provide good moisture and to be very soothing esp for dry skin. HTH!

blackangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2015 at 6:25am

When my daughter was born a friend advised me to use vaseline and i did all the way till she turned 3 and believe me it works wonders my daughters hair is so soft.

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic