Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie to texlaxing.. any tips? arguments?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 7:38am
Poor Natalee, I feel your pain. I failed big time at my first attempt to go natural. I joined a few years back at the start of my journey. It all started with pictures on Njoys supernatural hair growth. I used to relax my hair, and now I texlax. My hair is much healither & I feel like I can manage it with the texlax. I so wanted to be amongst my natural sisters, with the huge hair flowing down my back, but girl...after 5months, I was like oh no...can I do this? I ended up doing a texlax (about 10min with a bunch of evoo in it) but it satisfied the urge. My hair is no way bone straight, but my "kitchen" is looking better...lmao. I really want to do the natural thing, but I don't want to be miserable doing it. the only PS I used the high bun. I don't do braids or weaves, so I have to deal with the different textures daily, which became increasingly annoying. Anyway, I plan on trying again...if nothing else, it will be a long stretch. LOL
Sponsored Links

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 7:41am
If you want tips on how to actually preform a pretty decent texlax, let me know. I've become pretty decent. Approve
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NataleeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:51am
JEWEL! omg *farts*

Lol

I would love tips on how to do it.
Esp on: maintaining thickness
And getting to that weird, uniform, wavy, almost blowout pwttern ai see on youtube.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

Thanks for the reply, however, I must mention that I already am 3c/4a
Also, I don't really have any interest in going back to natural.. or having any reversion back to my natural pattern.
In addition to that, the formaldehyde not being regulated in any of the keratin formulas (please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong) makes me wary of going that route. I don't want teary eyes or a rash, or risk of lung and skin damage. Nor do I want to risk having an asthma attack in a not so well ventilated room.

I do value your input, but I don't think keratin treatments are the correct route for me.

Have there ever been any studies or even just a YouTube video about the comparative toxicity of hair relaxers versus keratin straightening?  I don't want you to base your opinion about toxicity from just speculation.

If you really want to texturize your hair, I say go for it.  It's an easy way to wear semi-natural looking styles and and relaxed styles.  But I do think you should wait for a little while and spend some QT with your natural hair before you make the final decision.
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NataleeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:41pm
Do you mind explaining the bkt process as you experience it? It seems that I might be basing my opinion on youtube propoganda.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

Do you mind explaining the bkt process as you experience it? It seems that I might be basing my opinion on youtube propoganda.

I've never had a bkt, but I do know that relaxers and BKT both have toxic ingredients.  I'm just not sure which one will be less toxic for your scalp and body in the long term.

My older sister with very thick, dense curly 4a hair got a BKT.  But she realized that she didn't really like having a looser texture.  She was thankful when the process wore off and she was natural again.  Aside from the scary unknown chemicals, I believe that is one advantage over a relaxer.
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NataleeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 1:11am
^^were there any side effects from the bkt that happened with her? Did she report burning eyes, closing throat, any of that jazz? What exactly did it do to her hair?
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 7:58am
I'm texlaxed and I loveeee it.

I tried to go natural too many times. I experienced breakage, matting, etc...it wasn't for me.

Now, I feel like I have the best of both worlds...i explain my texlaxing process here...

Texlaxing Process
SN2BPHD View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2BPHD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 8:53am
I have texlaxed also. I have no problems with breakage at all. I can now put my natural in a pony and only texlax 2-3x per year. I can comb my hair without breakage and it retains moisture more. Sounds strange I know. I personally enjoy natural hair, however mine was a bit too poufy, and would not manage without a fight. The only afro pony I could rock, was one that would not stay in pony itself. It looked like a ponytail that was slept and was coming out and poofing up at the top. I have fine hair naturally, and in my opinion, it is most likely to tangle. With a textlax, I can wear an afro style if I want, or put in plenty of product and rock it curly. I have also had my hair done by stylist and they think that it is my own texture. It isn't much off, if it was compared, However it is easier to manage and maintain. I can also use the same if not more products now.

I would have to say that it is not for everyone. I have seen some who did not follow the directions and or left it on too long. I do not have a problem with the minor reverting, as it does not break off, and I can do it again later if I want, or never textlax again and my hair blends just fine. I was just getting tired of relaxers and the breakage. In the last 2 years, my hair is down my back. When I started, it was 2 inches. I have curls I can wrap around by pinky and love the time it takes to manage the hair. I still look like the me before though.

I can say that if you are going to do it, I would section  your hair in 4-6 sections. Make sure you have combed out all the tangles. Start with the part of your hair that is more 4a than the 3c, as it would help keep it uniform. Use a LARGE comb. Many people use small combs as though they are putting in a relaxer. Don't do that. Make sure you have put oil on your hair before you start. It will give you more time. Don't be stingy with that oil. And wash it all out. I know it seems common sense, however there have been some that have messed this up.

MinnieMe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnieMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 9:28am
My tip is not to texlax Just kidding. Do what works for you. It did nothing for my texture but I have EXTREMELY kinky hair.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style