Post Reply Post Reply
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
crys1685 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie here/vent
    Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 2:04pm
hello all,

i am new to the board. and i am by far highly annoyed with the whole "if you have locs, you can't get anywhere career wise" bs.Angry

i know "corporate america" isn't exactly keen to locs in the workplace. it's reality. sad..but fine. w/ev. but do people have to keep telling me that over and over again?? i've had a doctor and family friend drill me about starting locs this early in my career(i'm a recent grad and seeking employment in the editoial and publication design industry). relatives calling my parents behind my back and questioning why they"let me" lock my hair(i'm 22!!). my own mom told me that once they are past my shoulders that she wouldn't like them anymore(they are currently just under my ears).

i know they are just trying to help but it gets annoying when people are kinda putting you down saying it over and over again. i aspire to prove people wrong, by being sucessful in whatever i do in my career. WITH LOCS!

and i don't mean to be rude. but DAMN. it's just hair and it's my decision. if a company does not accept me b/c of my hair, then it's probably someplace i will not enjoy working anayway. i know sacrifices will have to be made. but it just makes me so upset. my hair is much healthier, stronger, and eaiser and CHEAPER for me to maintain than when it permed . WTF?!?! it's not that deep to me.

ok...vent over. looking forward to discussing and chatting with you all!Hug
Sponsored Links

DySsign View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 6:58pm
sorry u have to go thru that, but i really dont see where they are coming from.  cultivated locs are neat and quite acceptable.  maybe the rasta look isnt, but if you plan to take care of yours then this isnt your issue.  Personally, i dont think i want my locs really long--but that's a personal decision.  i've seen locs that look really good past the shoulder.
Becky View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 7:02pm
I would leave the country. :)

I'm not kidding. Some things about the States , particularly race issues are just backward.

I live in Holland now and they don't care how you wear your hair.
Gazzi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:58am
My fren, corporate America is evolving, confidence is the name of the game if you are comfortable and confident, if they choose to pass u off for some air head, its their loss. I support u 100%. yes I have locs and work in corporate America, though I am a what they call a high maintenance young man, I always wear it down apart from when i went on the job interview.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic