Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

New years resolutions 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 2:22pm

A Librarian's Tips For Keeping Your New Year's Resolution

For those of us who struggle with resolutions, it may be helpful to step back. Before focusing on the resolution, take some time to learn the best our culture has to offer on how people meet goals, break bad habits and establish good ones.

2012-12-24-NYBooks2697.jpg

From these three books, I gleaned three strategies to help us keep our New Year's resolutions in 2013.

Don't rely on willpower. Willpower is overrated as a means for making sustainable changes in our lives.

The authors of "Change Anything" called this the willpower trap:

"When people believe that their ability to make good choices stems from nothing more than their willpower -- and that willpower is a quality they're either born with or they're not -- they eventually stop trying altogether. The willpower trap keeps them in a depressing cycle that begins with heroic commitment to change, which is followed by eroding motivation and terminated inevitably by relapse into old habits."

Charles Duhigg, in "The Power of Habit," explored the metaphor of willpower as a muscle. Willpower can be fatigued by one task and, therefore, unavailable for a later one. This explains why a resolution to exercise after work will falter at the end of an unexpectedly hard day.

On the other hand, "The Power of Habit" also covered studies showing that willpower can be strengthened over time. A success in one area that requires willpower, say going to the gym, can revitalize other healthy habits like eating better. Willpower can help in the long run, but isn't the only tactic available.

Develop new skills. "Change Anything" advocates skill acquisition as a powerful tool:

"Every time you try your best to do what you know is right and you fail, there's a good chance that your failure can be traced in part to a gap in knowledge or a missing skill."

As a librarian, I use books to increase my knowledge and skills. There is a book, or many, for most resolutions, from eat healthier to improve my photography.

In "Emotional Equations," Chip Conley pointed out that any skill takes practice:

"If you stick with a skill, you start to see some improvement over time until you hit the dreaded plateau when your skill level just seems to coast for a while even though you're pouring energy into improving. Then, all of a sudden, you find that your skill ratchets up to the next level. That's how mastery works. It's not one smooth, upward-facing line of improvement; it happens in fits and starts."

Get support. Have you joined or created a support group for your New Year's resolution? According to "The Power of Habit," this may be a vital step in the success of your venture.

"The evidence is clear: If you want to change a habit, you must find an alternative routine, and your odds of success go up dramatically when you commit to changing as part of a group. Belief is essential, and it grows out of a communal experience, even if that community is only as large as two people."

"Change Anything" used the term "accomplices" for people in our lives who enable our bad habits and "friends" for people who empower behaviors that aid in meeting our goals. Fortunately, accomplices can sometimes be turned into friends.

Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 2:29pm
I spend to much time at work/thinking of work. I'm working on getting to 40 hr work weeks. If they want more they'll need to figure out how to pay me.
In place of work I want to fill my time with the gym, learning to sew, learning Spanish, and expanding my photography skills. I'm also visiting my home town 4 times this year.
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:49pm
Drink more water
Eat less fried foods
Break my addiction to sweet tea
Start back baking and experimenting with recipes and ingredients ( i have alittle business idea brewing)

Stop being so hard on myself to be superwoman.

Enjoy the little things in life instead of focusing on tomorrow soo much.
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:16pm
Good Thread!

To accomplish my immediate 1st quarter goals I plan on increasing my effort / output by 80% ( life would be no fun without that 20% buffer ). That effort Will be applied to updating my resume, applying for field specific jobs that meet my requirement bc I want to remain happy and relatively stress free, eating clean and getting fit.
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:20pm
Continue on the path Im on and to enjoy it more
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415