BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

New straightening products.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New straightening products.
    Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 7:27am
So I'm getting a little tired of wearing my natural hair out and I'm looking into an alternative (mostly braiding it up and wigging it or bi-weekly roller sets). I was trolling through YT recently and saw something from Shea Moisture and Beautiful Textures. Has anyone used

<--- this or

this yet?

I think these have been out for a while now and I've seen mostly positive reviews so far but they were mostly first impressions. I am very curious to see how well this works on our hair and whether or not this could be a tool in avoiding heat dmg.

Edited by Kocoa - Apr 15 2014 at 7:31am
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 7:48am
I haven't used this product, but let me link you to thread from awhile ago where one user on here revealed that basically this product is a texturizer. The company is purposely using deceiving marketing to make you think it doesn't alter your texture. Notice how it says you must grow out the effects of the treatment.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/oh-shea-moisture_topic368770.html

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 15 2014 at 7:49am
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

I haven't used this product, but let me link you to thread from awhile ago where one user on here revealed that basically this product is a texturizer. The company is purposely using deceiving marketing to make you think it doesn't alter your texture. Notice how it says you must grow out the effects of the treatment.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/oh-shea-moisture_topic368770.html

omg, I had forgotten about that post! I even commented on it towards the beginning. Definitely gotta rem to stay away from the shea moisture stuff.
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:38am
You can straighten your hair without a "system", use the shampoo, conditioner, heat protectant & deep conditioner you already have. This stuff is either one thing or the other 1. A texturizer 2. Regular old conditioner etc with a special name & packaging.

Sort of off topic rant but

I wore my hair straight for years no relaxer and never used anything like this and it was bone straight every time and lasted long. People are just uneducated & lazy & these companies take advantage of that by trying to sell you a dream in a box and getting your money. It's not hard to straighten natural hair & it isn't unmanageable. Some stylists are lazy & have terrible techniques & aren't skilled/knowledgeable in caring for anything but straight relaxed hair.

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:07am
I think i saw a thread of someone getting good results with using braggs liquid aminos to flat iron their hair. I'll try and post here

Amino Acids for pressing hair

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 15 2014 at 10:16am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:08am
it looks to me now like its just a bunch of silicone or similar laden products to coat the hair. 

7 Days of Straight Hair

nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:20am

If your worried about heat damage.  There are a few ways to straighten our hair without heat.  The methods mostly involve some type of roller set done over night instead of sitting under a dryer.

If you want a look that is straighter than a roller set you could always wrap the hair afterwards to get a smoother look. 
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 6:06pm
The reason why I'm looking at these systems is that I don't want to keep having to flat iron my hair. I'm in Australia and there is a huge dearth of good black ppl/afro hair products here. I can flat iron but getting that bish to stay down for at least a week is getting harder and harder to do now that it's this long and my routine takes dang near a whole wknd (actual straightening takes 4-5 hrs). None of the antihumectants work in my hair. I was even in the Aveda shop recently to price check the antihumectant pomade and they wanted $45 (hahaha-no!). I already know about roller setting but magnetic rollers aren't really available here either (everyone loves the stupid caruso and velco rollers though *sigh*). I didn't mind too much before because I used to go home regularly but airfare is pretty obscenely expensive & shipping is not much better so I'm pretty much left scrambling to work with what little I've got.

Edited by Kocoa - Apr 15 2014 at 6:07pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

The reason why I'm looking at these systems is that I don't want to keep having to flat iron my hair. I'm in Australia and there is a huge dearth of good black ppl/afro hair products here. I can flat iron but getting that bish to stay down for at least a week is getting harder and harder to do now that it's this long and my routine takes dang near a whole wknd (actual straightening takes 4-5 hrs). None of the antihumectants work in my hair. I was even in the Aveda shop recently to price check the antihumectant pomade and they wanted $45 (hahaha-no!). I already know about roller setting but magnetic rollers aren't really available here either (everyone loves the stupid caruso and velco rollers though *sigh*). I didn't mind too much before because I used to go home regularly but airfare is pretty obscenely expensive & shipping is not much better so I'm pretty much left scrambling to work with what little I've got.

After reading the post

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/amino-acids-for-pressing-hairomgamazing_topic354323.html

It seems like a really good technique. She clarifies with a bakingsoda mixture(but i would say put an oz or 2 of conditioner mixed in as well instead of only distilled water), and then puts amino acids to straighten it. You might want to read into it and try it out.

rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:00pm
I like got2b keraflat

It works best using the tension method to blow dry then when it's time to flat irom use small section. I also use any keratin shampoo and conditioner to make the hair smooth and straighter. About three days later i like to apply a anti frizz serum to ends only.

Edited by rell85 - Apr 15 2014 at 10:01pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style