Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

New Queen of Rap Iggy Azalea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 1.57  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Queen of Rap Iggy Azalea
    Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:26am

Forbes Proves It Should Never Write About Hip-Hop After Declaring Iggy Azalea ‘Runs’ Rap

I have a confession to make. I’ve heard an Iggy Azalea song, and I don’t plan to*.

Not just because she’s the latest White girl du jour the media is trying its hardest to make happen, but because I’ve pretty much deserted mainstream rap in favor of my own blend of golden era classics (circa 1990-2003), NPR, jazz, and (real) R&B. Despite this, I’m fairly confident that Forbes’ latest predication proves they should refrain from writing about hip-hop until they hire writers who know a little something about the culture.

Recently, the financial mag came under fire for declaring rapper Iggy Azalea “runs” hip-hop.

Move over Jay, Yeezy, Drake, Nicki, Kendrick, et al., Iggy got this. Or something.

In the provocatively titled article, “Hip Hop Is Run By A White, Blonde, Australian Woman” (which they’ve since changed to: “Hip-Hop’s Unlikely New Star: A White, Blonde, Australian Woman”), Hugh McIntyre writes:

Iggy Azalea is one of hip hop’s most exciting new artists, as well as one of the genre’s most unexpected success stories. Her rise to prominence is notable not only for what seems like its immediacy, but for how infrequently someone like her makes it to the top. If you’re not keeping up to date on your rap culture or much into top 40 radio, you should know that she is not your typical hip hop star.

Just a few weeks ago, her album “The New Classic”became the highest charting debut album by a female rapper since Nicki Minaj back in 2010, starting at number three. The position is impressive considering she is a brand new name in this country, and she had only achieved her first top 40 hit a few weeks prior.

In addition to her album’s success, just this past charting week she also became the first woman in hip hop to have two simultaneous hits in the top five of the Billboard Hot 100. Her single “Fancy (ft. Charli XCX)” has quickly risen the ranks to number three, and she is featured on the new Ariana Grande cut “Problem”, which debuted at the same ranking last week and is presently sitting at number four. It is rare for any artist to achieve such a feat, let alone a female rapper.

McIntyre is correct, being a mainstream femcee is hard. While Eve, Lil’ Kim, Foxy Brown, Trina, Da Brat, and Missy Elliot used to all share the airwaves, for the last few years Nicki Minaj has reigned supreme, fueled by her pop hits and her ability to get gutter and hang with the big boys (see: how she killed Kanye’s ‘Monster’). But to prematurely assert Azalea is somehow “running” rap because she’s had the highest-selling debut week of any female rapper since Minaj dropped Pink Friday is not only laughable, it’s also extremely naïve.

Firstly, Azalea’s The New Classic sold 52,000 copies in its opening week. Nothing to sneeze at, but compared to Minaj’s Pink Friday, which sold 375,000 in its debut week, it looks like child’s play (And next to Lauryn Hill’s 1998 juggernaut The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, her numbers look even more unimpressive).  Moreover, trying to glean some sort of meaning from Azalea having the highest opening week for a female rapper since Minaj in a time when there have been few (or zero) mainstream rap albums by female rappers released renders McIntyre’s assertion even more problematic.

Next, to hold up Azalea’s current chart position as spectacular is, again, extremely misguided. While Azalea may have two songs in the top five of Billboard’s Hot 100, as Nicole Bitchie pointed out, before Minaj’s album even dropped she had seven songs charting—simultaneously—on Billboard’s Hot 100, and by April 2013 she became the most charted female rapper in history.

But never mind all that; we’ve seen this level of misguided adulation before. When Kreayshawn’s song “Gucci, Gucci” blew up YouTube, clocking nearly three million views in three weeks, folks were falling all over themselves to anoint her as the best new female rapper in the game. Blogs, radio stations, and mainstream publications like USA Today, Complex, the Village Voice, and Rolling Stone all tried to make Kreayshawn happen because she was a cute, quirky looking White girl in a world dominated by Black men. When the hype wore off, however, Kreayshawn sold a whopping 3,900 copies and folks forgot all about her.

While it’s unclear if Iggy Azalea, who’s songs can only be described as vocal blackface (uh, what’s with her “Black” accent?), will also fizzle out like the rest of the upstart White female rappers who were allegedly the next big thing, I wouldn’t be surprised if folks are asking, “Iggy, who?” this time next year.

Sponsored Links

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:29am
ROFL, when she first came out I refused to listen to her. Because she made me feel some type of way. I was just waiting for her to say something racial insensitive. LOL she doesn't disappoint.

But now I still don't care for her too much. But Fancy is my ish, even though she sounds like what she thinks Black people sound like.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:31am
Just posting her music for those who don't know her. I hate all these songs btw. Cept FancyEmbarrassed

Edited by f8dagrate - May 22 2014 at 3:32am
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:35am
yeah i 've seen the video and some of her other videos....the one song Fancy I swore i thought it was Gwen Stefani on that one part and found out it wasn't...

*sits in corner sipping tea and waits*.....
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:39am
um ok u mean they did that coochie video with that little boy right there and____________he is supposed to represent what in that video?...sickening..
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:41am
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

um ok u mean they did that coochie video with that little boy right there and____________he is supposed to represent what in that video?...sickening..

Yeah and he is a black child. That hurt my heart, this is my first time watching the whole thing. My body couldn't stomach it. If he can here those words she ain't ish.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:47am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

Yeah and he is a black child. That hurt my heart, this is my first time watching the whole thing. My body couldn't stomach it. If he can here those words she ain't ish.

so was he actually hearing those words??? who is dayum mother for letting her child do this sort of ish?..ya that hard up for $.00...obviously she never questioned what her child would be doing in the video...just plopped a huge check into her hands and she was allBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

i can see the ads for advertising an audition for a little black child to star in video with Iggy...
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (24) Thanks(24)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 3:54am
White Mediocrity always wins over Black Excellence. Pinch
iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 5:47am
This is like Rock and Jazz again but I guess new blacks won right?
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 6:13am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Iggy Azalea is one of hip hop’s most exciting new artists, as well as one of the genre’s most unexpected success stories. Her rise to prominence is notable not only for what seems like its immediacy, but for how infrequently someone like her makes it to the top.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic