Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
bluemac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Cathy Howse Book
    Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 3:12pm
Anyone planning on purchasing Cathy Howse's new book "Thinning Edges"?  I think its a pretty good reference book for people who are considering transitioning and want information in addition to what can found on BHM.  Her information about relaxers is really making me want to transition...but this newgrowth is making me change my mind!

Sponsored Links

Jums View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 3:25pm

Remember Cathy Howse is a business first. She was saying that relaxers are safe for years. Then all of a sudden (when she looking for a new book idea) she believes they're the cause of thinning edges????????? Why is it that when she decides to transition, everyone else should because...I like Cathy's willingness to share, but she seems very close minded to people doing things any other way then hers.

ETA - But I still would like to read this newest book of hersLOL

Edited by Jums - Jan 08 2007 at 3:27pm
Freshlikemoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 3:26pm
Book sounds interesting...but shoot BHM is free and very encouraging....and I will get all my thinning edges from all the wealth of info that is floating on this board.
wonderstar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 3:31pm
I know alot of naturals who has thinning edges. So she is saying the only way to cure the edges is to transition Stern%20Smile?
bluemac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 3:35pm
Yeah...I felt a bit cheated after buying her last book and then discovering BHM...LOL

I think this one is overpriced for the size but I wanted to read it and there was no chance of finding it at the library.
mcelweewife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 5:00pm
dangit! I wanted to buy this book, but I was afraid she would say something damning about relaxers that would make me HAVE to stop once I know the truth....ignorance is bliss in my case, just being honest. I'm not even gonna read it, cuz I know i will stop relaxing if I do!

Edited by mcelweewife - Jan 08 2007 at 5:00pm
mcelweewife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 5:01pm
Bluemac, did you find any reviews or excerpts? Cuz I couldn't find any when I searched back in September!
bluemac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by mcelweewife mcelweewife wrote:

Bluemac, did you find any reviews or excerpts? Cuz I couldn't find any when I searched back in September!

It wasn't released until November.  I only saw one (negative) review on Amazon but I knew I wanted to read it from the moment she announced it on her website.  I can't honestly say its worth the money but I really enjoyed it.
Girls1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 5:20pm
I bought this book back in November. She doesn't say that all women should transition but she does emphasize the damage that relaxers can do to the hair.
She does go into a lot of detail regarding how to properly apply relaxers and how often to get them in order to minimize damage.
She says to stretch relaxers for as long as you can and tells you how to do this (keeping the newgrowth soft) and to apply relaxers to new growth only, not all of the hair during a retouch. She also goes into great detail about applying relaxers correctly to keep them from getting onto the scalp, the main problem that causes thinning edges (in her opinion).
The book was alright but it was over-priced. IN the back she has this question and answer section but a lot of the questions are the same.
I think that she is neglecting to realize that thinning edges are not caused by relaxerrs alone but by the hairstyle choices of many women. Tight ponytails, and braids and some wigs and weave styles can all pull out the sensitive hair around the edges, especially if the hair is relaxed(i.e. already damaged).
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Freshlikemoi Freshlikemoi wrote:

Book sounds interesting...but shoot BHM is free and very encouraging....and I will get all my thinning edges from all the wealth of info that is floating on this board.

Agreed!! LOL Smile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic