Perfect Hair Collection

"New Blacks" stay fuccin up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 9:17am
*sigh*  So he apologies but he's part native American??  I just can't.  He needs to sit his coon a$$ down somewhere.
Sponsored Links

Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

natives don't give a damn about you being mixed with indian. every 3rd nicca in America got native blood. that doesn't count to them.they don't like white folks appropriating their culture either. respect it and do better. people think they can try natives because they are so small in numbers but I see they got pharell together today. now all he need to do is apologize to black people for not having any on that single cover

LOLLOLLOLI'm loggin off.  I had my fill of cackles this morning.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 12:00pm
basically...

Oh, Pharrell Is Part Native American? Here's Why It Doesn't Matter

6/4/14

The internet is a wonderful place for people who don't really know what they're talking about to openly speculate and confuse those who'd really like to understand the issues—that's not news. But with the latest cultural-appropriation scandal, involvingPharrell Williams wearing a feather headdress on the cover ofElle UK, Pharrell fans and self-appointed experts are pushing back by citing a detail buried inan article on theO, the Oprah MagazineNew Zealand site:

"The young man whose name is derivative of his father’s (Pharaoh) and who says he has Native American and Egyptian heritages...Ermm"

Bloggers, Facebook pundits and even journalists are speculating that this claim may dull the outrage over the image—but does it work that way? Does some American Indian DNA in Pharrell's double helix make the headdress fashion choice OK? In a word, no. Here are four reasons why:

1. Not All Indians Wear Feather Headdresses

While the feather, specifically an eagle feather, is a sacred symbol in many Native American cultures, the "war bonnet" style headdress Pharrell is wearing is very specific to Plains tribes.An article at native-languages.orgcites the figure of 12 tribes; this is a very small number considering that there are 566 federally recognized tribes and innumerable others that either aren't federally recognized or simply gone due to assimilation or genocide. Some of the feather-headdress-wearing tribes are large and well-known—the Lakota, the Crow, the Cheyenne—but saying that all Indians wear feather headdresses is—to use a very superficial example—like saying all Europeans wear lederhosen.

RELATED: Hipster Headdresses at Coachella: Yep, It Happened

2. Feathers Are Earned Over the Course of One's Lifetime

Adrienne Keene of Native Appropriations explains this nicely in her oft-cited"But Why Can't I Wear a Hipster Headdress"post:

"Eagle feathers are presented as symbols of honor and respect and have to be earned. Some communities give them to children when they become adults through special ceremonies, others present the feathers as a way of commemorating an act or event of deep significance. Warbonnets especially are reserved for respected figures of power."

3. "Part Native American" Doesn't Cut It

A lot of people who don't self-identify as American Indian have some American Indian heritage. Many of them don't even know it. Others have a vague idea of Native heritage—there can be a grain of truth to family lore or even the "my grandmother was a Cherokee princess" cliché. But having an American Indian ancestor or relative isn't a license to use that relative's culture spontaneously and without context. Here's another way of looking at it: Many of the people who are appalled by this image are deeply connected to their Native culture and live it every day. Iftheysay the picture is hurtful, it's hurtful, and a Cherokee grandmother doesn't change that. (By the way, the Cherokee did not have "princesses" and did not wear feather headdresses—these are two topics covered in theFAQ at the Museum of the Cherokee Indian.)  

Having a Native ancestor doesn't get you off the hook if you don't bother to do the homework—and if you bother to do the homework, you will not wear the headdress, and there will be no hook off of which to get... Q.E.D.

4. He's Not Paying Tribute to His Culture

For the sake of argument, say some of the above points didn't hold up. Say, perhaps, Pharrell's Native ancestor was from a Plains tribe that wore feather headdresses, and that he had studied the culture and it informed his daily life, and he had been given the feathers for accomplishments. The headdress remains a sacred ceremonial item, to be worn on special occasions. There's no tribute in wearing the headdress on the cover ofElle UK, flanked by "The Secret Life of Keira Knightley" and "All Natural Hair: 23 Products to Try Now." This is a spiritual item; on the cover of Elle UK it becomes secularized, trivialized, accessorized. Those who hold the headdress sacred might well say this is theoppositeof a tribute.

We said it before: You really should have stuck with the mountie hat, Pharrell.

Read more athttp://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/06/04/oh-pharrell-part-native-american-heres-why-it-doesnt-matter-155149
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:50am
Still waiting for an apology for the sistahs
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 5:39am
I find it funny you so called have to have papers to be Native American. The f*ck? You don't need papers to be a good ole nicca. See how they do us man?
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 5:42am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Still waiting for an apology for the sistahs

you'll be waiting for a while then...

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 6:31am
new blacks don't apologize to old blacks.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 7:57am
Damn tatee

Fr fr?
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

He looks part native to me. I honestly don't see the issue but I'm sure someone will be along to inform me of how ignorant I am.
Please don't excite him. Even if he is, he probably doesn't know/relate to his presumed native american relative.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

If I wear Kente fabric am I wrong because I'm not full African? This is going over my head.

Ok I'm not the only one.

If I wear some ankara fabric or decide to have a traditional Nigerian/Kenyan/Ghanaian/etc wedding...would I be wrong?
I see where ya'll are coming from, but its not the same thing. 

There would be uproar if justin bieber stated he was 0.000000000000000000000000000038448% black in defense of his recent racist antics. 

I believe some are mixing up race and nationality againLOLLOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>