Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Netflix rumored to get exclusive new Star Trek...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Netflix rumored to get exclusive new Star Trek...

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Netflix rumored to get exclusive new Star Trek...
    Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 1:33pm

Netflix rumored to get exclusive new Star Trek series

picard

It has been nearly a decade since new stories in the Star Trekuniverse have been produced for the small screen, but we might be getting close to a revival of this storied franchise courtesy of Netflix. At Phoenix Comicon, Star Trek author and producer Larry Nemecek has announced that CBS is in talks with Netflix to produce a new series that would air on the streaming service. Set phasers to excited. Update: Nemecek has posted a rebuttal of the original report, saying he never stated there were ongoing talks about a new Trek series on Netflix. Apparently there have been “overtures” in the past, but nothing is happening right now.

According to Nemecek, Netflix approached CBS about hosting a new Trek series, then followed up with a proposal to create and produce the show completely in-house. If this deal goes through, the series would be a Netflix exclusive in the vein of House of Cards or Orange is the New Black. Interestingly, CBS is supposedly being offered a royalty deal that would pay it for each stream of the new series. No word on whether the series would be set in the new Abrams alternate timeline or the original one.

Enterprise

The last Star Trek series to air on TV was Star Trek: Enterprise, which abruptly ended back in 2005 after just five seasons. This show never really caught on, and the mediocre ratings brought to an end nearly 20 years of Star Trek on TV. During that time, there were often two different series running simultaneously. After all these years, though, interest in the escapades of Starfleet is on the rise, due in part to the revitalized JJ Abrams movies.

Netflix doesn’t release streaming numbers, but market research firms frequently list Star Trek in its various forms as the most streamed content on Netflix. This might be the time for a new series now that everyone has gotten over their Star Trek fatigue. CBS could also make a boatload of money if the royalty deal is accurate. There is no official confirmation of the talks at this time, so take everything from Nemecek with a grain of salt. Even if this is real and Netflix does get a new Trek series, it’s going to be a few years before it sees the light of day.

If I was Netflix I’d be on the phone to Microsoft suggesting they sponsor the show. After all, who else has a real-life Universal Translator launching later this year?

CryClap 

Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 1:35pm
Hold your horses—there's no Netflix-CBS "talks" *

Before I get to a look back at FedCon, or Phoenix Comicon…. or a deadline reminder to you about the coming LA2Vega Trek tour and the one-day special we threw in... before all my backlogged videos patiently waiting… I need to address this today.

There's a story up on "Plus.Google" by an unnamed writer—yes, a story without a byline—that quotes me from a Phoenix Comicon panel Saturday saying Netflix and CBS are "in talks" to do a new Star Trek series. "Lucrative" ones, no less.

And that's not true.

I know Trek fans are hungry for new material and hoping that someone "gets it" and gets on with doing one. That's why everything from the continuing novels to fan fiction, to Star Trek Online and other games, to the fan films, to  cosplayers and prop and shipbuilders are allstill going strong: People are desperate for new Star Trek—including the new fans driven by JJ or the Bluray remasters and, yes, mass Netlfix availability. And, said desperate fans pounce on every crumb that's out there — as good fans would. Or they even do more, like organizing a Facebook "petition" campaign to get Netflix to produce a "fifth season" ofEnterprise.

But this non-bylined writer known only as "Starfleet Intelligence" is too wrapped up in tossing around jazzy phrases of TheBizSpeak in this post, and has the situation blown up way too big —though it makes a nice screaming headline. I wish he or she had talked to me afterward for some real context to the tiny bit I DID mention. (or even got my bio right.) 

So, HERE's some context.

As we know by now, Netflix has changed the TV/media landscape yet again by becoming a platform of clout with original shows like House of Cards and Orange Is the New Black—popular not only with fans, but critics...and now the award shows. It's in Netflix's interest to be casting about for new shows—including those from known franchises. I understand Star Trek is one of them—especially as Trek's 737 hours of "reruns" performs as a top draw ON Netflix. As I understand it, there have been overtures.  But none taken. So far.

That's it, guys. I appreciate the pedestal, of sorts, but this excitable blogger makes it sound as if show budgets and writer's guides for a done-deal Trek series are already floating around in CBS offices. Maybe they are—but not to my knowledge. We all know plenty of people in private and public have pitched show concepts and formats—and on a "channel" that makes financial and distributional sense. And, we do know that one good way to help get Star Trek back is to keep those Netflix viewer "ratings" tickers clicking right along marathon-style, as a barometer, to reveal any and all Trek shows being watched. But inertia and the unanswered questions of who, what, when, where, and how much have, so far, won out. Sadly.

Oh—and someone also needs to tell this "reporter" that Star Trek Communicator is not a current thing. 

Sadly. *sniff*
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 1:36pm
BOOOO!!! I hope they change their mind....Unhappy

Star Trek: Renegades is supposed to be coming out soon....online I think.

Edited by Az~Maverick - Jun 10 2014 at 1:40pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 1:37pm
I don't think I've ever seen this show

However, if Netflix does it I might just have to watch it Thumbs Up
Josephuss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josephuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 1:39pm
well i was excited for 2 seconds
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 1:39pm
Yeah. I hope the attention get the ball rolling.  Star Trek fans are...enthusiastic if nothing else. LOL
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 2:45pm
*whines* I mean...why they gotta play with people emotions like that? that's not right at all.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 2:56pm
We could make ourselves feel better by casting people into it for fun.  LOL  Who should be the new captain? 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic