Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Netflix Gems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 11:39am
bump… 

can someone recommend a good thriller or maybe drama or comedy. 

i was just reading about Garden of the night i think ill watch that another day Disapprove

oh and i think there was a more recent thread about movies and/or tv/netflix.. but i couldnt remember the title. 

Edited by coconess - Aug 10 2014 at 11:41am
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 11:49am
For those of you who like to watch Shark Week but don't have cable

Netflix has like 10 of the seasons on streaming. Just search for "Shark Week" of course Thumbs Up
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 12:07pm
i think im about to watch House at the end of the street.. hope its not a waste of my time. 

the reviews say it has a lot of twists and i like mystery types.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 1:07pm
OMG! I would like something recommendation on Drama's or Love stories I can't take movies about Killing/Molestation blood and gore No thanks... I like stuff like period dramas (BBC's masterpiece classics)
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 5:24pm
I LOOOOOOVE period piece movies! I'm obsessed with them. Movies set during the Jewish Holocaust, the 50s as well as foreign films are THE best. Here is a list of ones on Netflix that I recommend along with the time frame they are set in. 

1900s - 1920s (I believe) 
The Last Emperor (Foreign) - The story of the last emperor and his downfall. Good movie.
Farewell My Concubine (Foreign) - Story about a boy who's mom is a prostitute. She gives him a way to an acting school for boys and he's forced to play a female role as a girl. He grows up with identity issues and you really feel for this character. Very good movie. 

Set in the 1930s but made in 1950s - 1970s
Imitation Of Life - Classic. Every black person should watch that. 
Paper Moon - A daughter finds her crooked daddy and they run scams together. Cute, funny movie.  In real life the two actors were really father and daughter. 

Holocaust Films and/or set in 1940s
Pianist - True story of a pianist who survives the holocaust. Very graphic. Very good movie. Raw
Edges Of The Lord - a Jewish boy who is taken care of by a farmer and his family to escape the Holocaust. He's mistreated by the other kids. Coming of age a little bit. Good movie. 
A Secret - A child finds the truth about his family and their past prior to him being born. 
Lore - The children of Nazis go into hiding and are on the run for survival
Boy In The Stripped Pajamas - Nazi officer's child lives right next to Aushwitz and his younger son becomes friends with the Jewish boy who is in the "striped pajamas". Sad and shocking. Very good.
Generation War - (Foreign) This is shown as "episodes" but it's a great movie about four friends two who are Nazis and one who is Jewish and how their lives change drastically during and after the war. Very good. 
The Sword With No Name - (Foreign) Good love story. Sad. 
Back To 1942 - (Foreign) VERY good movie. Extremely depressing. About the people of Henan (specifically a rich mans family) and their survival during the  famine. 
Twin Sisters - (Foreign)Twin girls are split from one another at a young age. One lives under Nazi idolatry and the other married a Jew. 
My Way - (Foreign) VERY Good movie. 
DownFall  (Foreign) - The last days of Hitler. Very good. 
Pressure Point - made in the 60s but a black psyhiatrist interviews a racist 
Lust Caution - (Foreign) VERY good. 
Bonnie & Clyde - Good 

1950s - 10960s
The Talented Mr. Ripley - Good but is a bit slow in the beginning
The Home Sung Stories - (Foreign) Very good and unique story about an Asian woman, her kids, her promiscuity and her kids having to deal with her. 
Lawless - One of the best movies I've seen on Netflix. Three brothers are a part of the moonshine business and have to fight against crooked police and thugs
The Paperboy - Shocking movie....everything about it was shocking. 

Set in the 1980s -1990s
Boys Dont Cry - The story of Teena Brandon. Good movie, made me sad but I was surprised by how well it was done. Hilliary Swank acted well as a transgender in this. 
Dog Pound - Boys who are abused in a juvenile facility 
Garden Of The Night - Highly depressing movie about child abuse and the child PICS industry. Evan Ross is in this too. Its a wonderful movie but, you will be depressed. 
Paid In Full - The crack era in the 80s set in New York. Very good movie. 

I have a LOT more but I cant think of any right now. 
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

bump… 

can someone recommend a good thriller or maybe drama or comedy. 

i was just reading about Garden of the night i think ill watch that another day Disapprove

oh and i think there was a more recent thread about movies and/or tv/netflix.. but i couldnt remember the title. 
Garden of the night is really good, but is probably one of the most depressing movies I have ever watched, and I watch a LOT of depressing gory movies and tearjerkers. 

I think it's mostly just creepy. Its from the childs perspective as well. 

Abduction of Eden is similar but not as NEARLY as raw as Garden Of The Night 
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 6:40pm
Jayne Eyre (there are so many versions of this movie)
Wurthering Heights with (tom Hardy) he did such a great job

and I like all the Jane Austin classics but not the most modern versions more like the ones that come from BBC/England they just are better IMO!
Kira Knighlty was such a poor actress!

Who knew Clueless was the story of Emma! Lol Tyler Perry should redo some of these with his spin on them
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 6:59pm
so yea…. house at the end of the street was a waste.. 

thanks for that list OMC.. i was just looking at a list about the best foreign films..

when i get back from the store later im either gonna watch Sympathy for Mr. Vengence (the first movie of a korean thriller trilogy.. the 2nd movie Oldboy is supposedly one of the top netflix foreign films….)  

or ill pick something from your list 

Edited by coconess - Aug 10 2014 at 7:00pm
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 8:33pm
dowtown abbey is a period drama as is Mr Selridge

Not my thing but I watched a few episodes of both

Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 8:39pm
Why did Dont trust the B in Apt 23 get cancelled?? That show is funny in a warped way.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
  Share Topic