BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Nelly wants to kick somebody's ass at Spelman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 9:18am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

since Nelly had the immediate need and was doing the asking, he could have compromised ... was listening/acknowledging/corrective action that difficult?   guess so, since he says he should've kicked someone's ass

the whole situation could've, should've been handled differently

All of this.   They should have asked for a meeting as well.   Everybody's ego got in the way here but I think Nelly may have been overwhelmed with what he was trying to do (emotionally) and remained completely dismissive of the issue the ladies had.  His comments didn't help, just expressed his anger and pain. 

Either way I do support shaking your ass in a video if thats what you want to do.  Video girls be looking super sexy but lets not pretend negative images of black women at this level aren't damaging.   How much ass and titties do you need in one music video?  At some point its simply exploitative and women look like nothing but flesh.   

Ironic that Nelly only saw one opportunity missed.   
Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 10:45am
i'm sure "kicking someone's ass" is the answer most grown men use to solve their problems. should really help his cause 
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Protest a video but not a worthy cause.....they hurt those sick people more than help those heauxs
this. that was just ignorant and small of them. they could've been in a position to raise awareness of a more than worthy cause to our race and help people.

they and their institution should be ashamed. smh

ITA
This was not the right time…
Save your protest for a different time this was about health…
As a gerontologist when I was in the field it hurt me so much to see people suffer. Sometimes people would just drop their loved ones off at a nursing home or assistant care and never look back. This is one reason why I love the state of Oregon (Death with Dignity Act). When it’s time for me to experience completion of life… I don’t need the state of California telling me it’s not time. Suffering near death is barbaric…
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:45pm
I was watching a documentary last year (Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes), and I could be getting this wrong since I was only half paying attention, but I think they said that the students or maybe the student government of Spellman wanted to have a forum with Nelly before the drive, and when he declined they cancelled his event. 

Now I personally have nothing against the Tip Drill video as an individual video, however, when images like that are pretty much dominant when it comes to media representation of black women, I understand their frustrations completely. They could've, and I do believe should've, continued with the bone marrow drive, but I dont hold it against them for not doing it. Nelly himself could've, and very well should've, let them express their anger and frustrations. Yeah, his pride and his feelings might've been hurt by it, but he could've gotten several more donors.

In the end, if I'm remembering the situation correctly, Nelly doesnt need to kick anyone's ass. 
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:51pm
ah, so if they tried to reach out to him before hand and he refused, that just makes him a selfish jerk. wow nelly. smh
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:57pm
Some very good points made in this thread.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 12:59pm

ATLANTA -- The bone marrow drive was just weeks away. Asha Jennings was excited at the prospect of Spelman College teaming with 4Sho4Kids -- a foundation started by rapper Nelly -- to bring attention to an important cause.

For months, the 21-year-old had been organizing the marrow drive. She and her friends were talking about it one day in March.

The conversation eventually turned to music videos -- one in particular.

"What's Tip Drill?" Jennings asked.

"A bunch of strippers shaking their butts," she was told.

"Who's the artist?"

"Your boy, Nelly," came the answer.

It was Jennings' first step into an issue that has sparked several protests at her school and has renewed discussion of the denigration of black women in music videos.

The women leading the fight are barely 20. Many had not been born when hip-hop emerged but came of age listening to its music.

Later that morning in March, Jennings saw Nelly's Tip Drill for the first time. "I couldn't believe it," she recalled. "I just think of little girls watching it."

The music video features dozens of women in thong bikinis dancing around a swimming pool, in hot tubs and a pool hall. One of the scenes includes a credit card swipe through a woman's buttocks.

Before that moment, Jennings had thought of Nelly more as the celebrity who had launched efforts to increase the number of African-American bone marrow donors -- in part because his sister suffers from leukemia.

"Nelly wants us to help his sister," Jennings said, "but he's degrading hundreds of us."

Her friends tried to convince her to take the video for what it was -- a way to make money. But just thinking about it made her cry.

The Tip Drill video, shot in Atlanta, was released more than six months ago and has become popular on BET's late night Uncut show.

Harold Hardee, co-producer of Tip Drill, said he was "a little" shocked when he saw the final product. "I don't have a cut-and-dry answer to how I feel," said Hardee, 28, but people need to realize the video "is not really reality."

The phrase "tip drill" is "a ghetto colloquialism for the proverbial ugly girl with a nice body," said Mark Anthony Neal, associate professor of American studies at the University of Texas at Austin.

In the context of the Nelly video, Neal said, such women are only good for one thing -- sex -- and crude sex at that.

Unknown to Jennings, Tip Drill already had driven another Spelman student to action. Moya Bailey, president of the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, said she stumbled across the music video during Christmas break. She was home in Fayetteville, Ark., talking with a friend on the telephone.

"Oh my God," Bailey said, noticing the women's buttocks swirling about. "Wow."

Bailey returned to Spelman determined to deal with Tip Drill. By February, the 20-year-old junior had gotten together a public forum: Are these women exploiting themselves? Is it Nelly's fault? Can women be sexual and have it not be negative?

There was no consensus among the 40 or so students from Spelman and Morehouse colleges that night -- but it was a good discussion, Bailey said.

On the morning of March 17, Bailey ran into Jennings, who had seen the music video for the first time two days earlier. "Moya, come look at this," Jennings said. "I've got a dilemma."

Jennings showed Bailey fliers that advertised the upcoming bone marrow drive promoted by Nelly. Because of the Tip Drill video, Jennings told her fellow student, she wasn't sure she should move forward.

"We were in agreement that he shouldn't be invited," Bailey said. "That we should draft a letter saying you're not welcome, but the foundation is."

From that moment, Jennings, a political science major, and Bailey, a pre-med student, became a team.

There was one sticking point: Jennings had developed a good relationship with Nelly's 4Sho4Kids Foundation over the past months and was less willing to shun the star for pragmatic reasons.

Still, she couldn't excuse the artist's role in perpetuating misogynistic images.

With only days remaining before the charity drive, she called her parents, Rick and Cassandra Jennings, in Sacramento, Calif.

"Asha, it can't be that bad," her mother told her. "The cause is greater."

Then, with her parents still on the other end of the phone, they watched the music video together.

Cassandra Jennings had two words for her daughter: "Cancel it."

Before Jennings could follow through on her mother's advice, the foundation -- which had been alerted that students planned to confront Nelly at the April 2 event -- withdrew.

Jennings and Bailey decided to go forward with their protest, staging a rally to discuss hip-hop and what had been loosely labeled the "Nelly controversy."

Every half-hour they showed Tip Drill on a video screen in the student center so people could see what was at issue.

Jennings and Bailey hope their stand has made a difference.

"Everyone calls it the `Nelly controversy,' but this is bigger than Nelly,"Jennings said. "It's about empowering our sisters who think this is the only way to make it.

"We have to stop arguing that's the way it is and ask ourselves ... how do we change it?"

femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 1:04pm
Nelly could've held that drive anywhere in America and had droves of people coming in. 

The point is, don't disrespect your women and treat us like objects then expect all to be forgiven when you need not just our money, but our damn bone marrow. Nope. Nope. Bye.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 1:08pm
Samone coming in with the facts.  Looks like there wasn't much time for discussion before it all boiled over.  Seems a little childish for Nelly to address this now and not immediately attempt to open dialog with the ladies.  Missed opportunity indeed.

Now if someone were coming to our school for a similar well worthy cause and we found out the day before that they were running around in a video of blacks being hanged and white girls in black face twerking, the intent of the drive would be diminished either way.   He failed to mention his own organization canceled the event rather than face the controversy head on.  I'm glad to see the two girls came together instead of turning it into two factions within the campus. 
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 1:18pm
Ahh...so why is he mad if his foundation was the one that withdrew? He felt a way because they felt disrespected? Just by reading the article, I highly doubt that they would've cancelled the event, they probably just would've disinvited him. Nelly, bb, do better. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic