Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Neil DeGrasse Tyson, historical inaccuracy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:59am
The show is just full of propaganda.
I don't really care if he is pushing atheism, it's not going to stop me from believing in intelligent design.

Maybe he should get familiar with Max Planck
Sponsored Links

trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:05am
On a side note. The Kansas state legislature is proposing a bill to ban the show from its airwaves if Fox does not create an alternative show promoting creationism. Dead serious!
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:06am
Well that's just stupid.
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

I really enjoyed the series but was surprised at a few things:
He stated some weakly supported theories as fact.  
As stated in the article, his focus on western 'discoveries' only
He was shoving Atheism down the viewers throats in the 2nd or 3rd episode....(keep religion out of it dude)

Given who he is, I just expected more I guess...Still a fan though...

And this is the man that said he is agnostic, you might want to put some critical thinking but not out right atheism that's preaching. This is obiviously has a strong agenda besides teaching astrophysics to the viewers.

Um...atheism IS keeping religion out of the discussion.  That's the very definition of atheism...

You know what I mean Sleepy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:15am
Wasn't creationism deaded a few weeks ago by the proving that the big bang did actually happen? And now we can detect gravity particles.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:23am
It's not completely dead.  The model that was presented last month is actually the natural, scientific way a theory is supposed to work.  It is simply new evidence added to support the theory.  Now it is the best evidence we have for how it was created.  It indirectly shows, though, how crappy the theory of intelligent design really is.  Just looking at the model, it is not actual science.  At best it is a philosophy, which is why it should not be taught alongside evolution in schools.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

It's not completely dead.  The model that was presented last month is actually the natural, scientific way a theory is supposed to work.  It is simply new evidence added to support the theory.  Now it is the best evidence we have for how it was created.  It indirectly shows, though, how crappy the theory of intelligent design really is.  Just looking at the model, it is not actual science.  At best it is a philosophy, which is why it should not be taught alongside evolution in schools.

I agree....
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 12:20pm
I Hated it. The script they gave him was poorly thought out and all over the place.

Through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman is infinitely better.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 12:35pm
ID proponents will continue to be ID proponents but this show isn't to convert them. It's to inspire the common person to start thinking about science, and how culture ties into it. That's why modern cultural explanations for phenomena are contrasted with previous cultural explanations.

As a science presentation, it's very basic from an explanation standpoint - there are a ton of other documentaries out that are better for explanation - but the production value really illustrates the beauty of the universe and that will hopefully lead many of the viewers to googling about the people, theories, and subject matter presented.

But as usual on BHM, time to add to the coon list.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Apr 10 2014 at 12:38pm
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 12:41pm
I tried to view the show the first night with my hubby and son…
I did last about 15min… it was late and when I have time I will view the series online or on vacation for spring break. I’m happy that he has a show and I like him.   
In his youth he was introduced to Carl Edward Sagan and was a big fan. I’m happy that my son can see a man that looks like a family member talking about American astrophysics. I guess it’s hard to have nice things within our community. Because it seems BHM is never happy … I guess Carl should have been replaced by a clear person…?????

ETA... astrophysics

Edited by mommykat - Apr 10 2014 at 12:49pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic