FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Dropping Racial Gems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>

Author
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 1:57am
Neil's interview with Nichelle Nichols Heart  This interview makes me misty. 

Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 4:58am

not sure if he made the coon list

everyone wasn't happy with the info in cosmos

can we not be 100% happy with the program and not think he is a coon

I rhink calling him a coon is reaching
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 5:42am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

not sure if he made the coon list

everyone wasn't happy with the info in cosmos

can we not be 100% happy with the program and not think he is a coon

I rhink calling him a coon is reaching

His wife is to the left of him.

By BHM's standards being in an IR marriage equates being a coon. I think that is over-simplistic and asinine. 

Edited by f8dagrate - Apr 18 2014 at 5:48am
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 7:23am
Got into a fight with my brother about not being impressed by this video clip.

I expected something new and insightful and got "women are discouraged from entering the sciences". That's the same thing women scientist have been saying forever.

Just rubs me the wrong way that this video clip is all over my social media but he isn't actually saying anything new.

I liken it to when a white person says something seemingly insightful about race and everyone goes crazy for them. But black folks been saying that same exact thing since the beginning of time and no one was tryna hear it.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 8:12am
You kidding?

They STILL don't hear him. The audience was clapping at his words after listening.. but did they HEAR him? I don't think so, honestly.

This clip wasn't even big and popular and was obscure for awhile. We praise Neil for his knowledge but for sure, his quotes on race are highly ignored because that's the general reaction to societal inequalities based on involuntary attributes for the sake of maintaining comfort.
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 8:18am
Does he have other quotes about inequalities that aren't so cliche?

I don't follow him, so I honestly don't know. I was just commenting on the clip in the OP that is literally everywhere now and receiving all the praise. Which is weird to me considering how basic it is.

ETA:

Although, I do understand people being excited about finding out that he actually has made statements about race/gender and isn't some watered down "I don't go there" black celebrity. 

I keep getting this "don't ever question him" vibe from his black fans. Like because he is a *black* astrophysicist that excuses him from any thing that might even resemble criticism.

(Not that I am criticizing him for anything really. Just disappoint by this clip)

Edited by Samoneisthebest - Apr 18 2014 at 8:49am
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 9:11am

didn't know he married a white woman

so that is why he is a coon to some?
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 9:38am

black man+ non black woman= coon, tbh...

mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 9:57am
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

black man+ non black woman= coon, tbh...

Yep and contradicts anything you say that's positive about the black community.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic