Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help With Breaking Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
gpt1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpt1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help With Breaking Hair
    Posted: Feb 14 2014 at 7:34pm
Her hair was superthick and shoulder length. Now her hair has broken off completely down from 8 inches to 1/4th inches all the .edges, and slowly moving it's way up. My daughter is on Adderall. This often takes her appetite away, to the point of her only eating once a day. We've tried multivutamins, hair vitamins, Biotin along with hair or multivutamins. Increased her vitamin C, added B12, oils creams, you name it. No luck at all. Took her to the doctor and she recommended a vitamin. The problem with this is that you had to take 4 vitamins A day, and recommendedwith meals. She's a freshman in highs school this year. Her self esteem has decreased due to the fact that she's had to wear tracks, and the more the hair breakage moves, the less areas to put tracks and be able to cover them. She refuses to wear a wig. I'm begging anybody to please tell me what we can do. She can only go off the meds during the summer. She absolutely has to be on it during the school year, so this is not an option. I walked in on her crying one day, which mademe cry. She said she thinks people, the other black girls) are laughing at her hair. She said one girl touched her hair and asked ifit 2a2 as real or weave? The length is almost shoulder length. I had the sengalees twists put in her hair at the start of December. There were days she was approached because classmates would find her braids that had fallen out, in the hall way, bathroom or class room. Right now her twists look really bad because they are long overdue. Up to 2 inches around the sides and back is all too short to braid or twist. She's been keeping them in because it makes her look cute sometimes. I'm hoping to get them redone in another 3 -4 weeks. But this doesn't matter if her hair is too short to grasp. So I beg anyone again to help me help my daugte. Advise me on what to do to start seeing not only growth, but fast growth.
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2014 at 8:42pm
Hello and welcome and my heart goes out to your daughter.  May I ask if she is open to taking liquid vitamins since it appears that she is having some issue with swallowing pills (gag reflex, upset stomach after taking supplements, forgetfulness, etc)?  I think there are are some multivitamins she can take in liquid form that are available over the counter or you can get an Rx for it or it might be available behind the pharmacy counter without a Rx.

As for supplements that can help with hair growth, immediately I thought about l-cysteine because I remember years ago this was a popular option for achieving fast hair growth that included strong hair and nails.  The reason why I didn't jump on board was I was scared about GI issues that could arise with l-cysteine supplements.  But definitely research more in regards to that.  Another option would to have her incorpprate more cooked eggs into her diet since it is rich in proteins and it contains some form of amino acid that supports stronger hair and nails. 

Another option would be biotin pills, but please start off with a low dose and gradually increase it and she needs to drink plenty of water when taking biotin since without water, biotin can increase acne breakout.  Silica is another option to promote stronger hair and nails.  Again drink plenty of water to prevent "buildup" in the body. Another option would to make green smoothies and incorporate chlorella and spirulina either in the green smoothie or taking it separately.   Please google/bing for more information because I am not sure if any of these supplements will interfere with Adderall.  During my cursurory search, I noticed that folks who take Adderall must avoid taking it with anything containing Vitamin C but other supplements, just take it an hour2hr before or an hour/2hr after taking Adderall. 

Now to deal with the breakage, in my experience I found that using products that contain silk amino acid slows down breakage.  I am sharing my experience with silk amino acids.  Months ago, I have been experiencing annoying breakage.  Mind you I do not have a relaxer and even though I usually air dry my hair and fairly recently started blow drying my hair, my hair broke off like it was a full time job. About two weeks ago I bought some new hair products, the Chi Nourish line (with a gray container with an orange lid/top and orange writing), it was on clearance at TJ Maxx so I bought a 12 oz bottle of the shampoo and the 16 oz of the masque for normal to coarse hair.  I used both items as normal (BTW the conditioner does not have much of detangling properties for me).  I was prepping my hair to blowdry out so I sprayed on some Creme of Nature Perfect 7 7-in-1 leave in treatment and proceeded to blow out my hair.  It has been four days and my hair breakage has curbed in a noticeable way.  Even when I was blowing out my hair, I noticed less breakage because usally I would have a ball of hair and hurt feelings when detangling my hair after shampooing.  But with these products I see promising results.  I must forewarn you that the Creme of Nature Perfect 7 contains isopropyl alcohol so proceed with caution. 

I hope this helps and more members chime in.
gpt1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpt1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2014 at 9:22pm
Thank you I will try this. She would never do liquid vitamins. She's fine with swallowing pills, it's just the excessive amount, or her giving up to easy. She isn't patient because she is so desperate. I think she gives up at a month max if she sees no results. I wish I could show you some before and after. I will attempt to attach a picture. I just tried and it wouldn't upload.     .
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 1:27pm
To share pictures, just upload them on a free image hosting site like tinypic and copy the direct link and use this board tool for pictures.

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 8:53am
Unfortunately, no product will probably give more than 1 inch of hair growth per month. The usual rates are 1/4 " to 1/2" per month. My staple products to increase my hair growth from 1/4" to about 2/3rd" per month are: Maxi Hair vitamin pills

along with a 32 ounce bottle of Shapley's MTG hair oil used on the scalp and massaged in every night

Please add a peppermint essential oil or rosemary essential oil and or some other fragrance oil to mask the oils smell. If the smell of this product bothers you too much, try Liquid gold sulphur oil or make your own  by adding 2 tablespoons of sulfur powder to about 10 ounces of your favorite hair oil and shaking it up.
A lot of  girls wear braids with extensions. Your cheapest option might be to keep her in some sort of braid extension like you are doing now while she oils her hair nightly and takes the Maxi hair vitamins every day... She WILL have to do this for several months to a year. Hair usually grows SIX INCHES per year or less. With all these products some people can get a little more than 6 inches in the year. So this IS A JOURNEY. Nothing will make it happen in a few days. Teach her to take care of her hair with the above products daily and in a year or two she will have a nice head of hair.
In the mean time, the braids might be the best bet! To avoid them falling out, try cornrows that go to one pony tail or to a  bun. These are contained well and look cute.

Just use narrower cornrows with the jumbo pack hair if her hair is too short now. 

IF her hair has become too short to grab into even corn rows, get some ECO STYLER gel and a Jumbo braid pack of hair. Gel her hair slicked back in to a pony tail and attach the jumbo pack with a rubber band to her pony tail. Twist it up into a pretty top knot bun. Oil or a wax pomade with a bristle brush might help with this.

If you use the eco styler gel, apply a LOT of oil on the hair after it dries to avoid breakage from it being too stiff.
For breakage use Aphogee Two Step conditioner once every month. Adding garlic cloves to your hair oil also helps. Silk amino acids or simply Bragg Liquid Aminos added to conditioner also help with breakage
Happy hair growing and welcome to the long journey

PS It is very common for girls to ask if your hair is real or a weave, especially for Black women due to the stereotypes of us not having much hair.  So tell her not to take that comment to heart. The main thing I would work on is avoiding braids falling out all around school. So work on the cornrows or either simply a bun to simplify that. Please also start on a sulfur oil on the scalp each night.Have her to massage the scalp each night with her head turned upside down. Then have her to sleep with a conditioner cap on the head to create a steamy environment on the scalp overnight for the sulfur oil to soak into the follicles and nourish the scalp. (see greenhouse effect or GHE for more on the plastic cap thing for hair growth)

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 16 2014 at 11:30am
gpt1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpt1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 12:59pm
Thanks so much.
gpt1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpt1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 1:03pm
[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2d6si2d.jpg[/IMG
gpt1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpt1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 1:04pm
It looks like this around the sides also. The tracks cover the side and back a little, But the front if breaking so bad that you can see th tracks in front. Try clicking the link also to see another photo.

Edited by gpt1970 - Feb 17 2014 at 1:07pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by gpt1970 gpt1970 wrote:

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 9:54pm
No expert but I think she would be a good candidate for lace wigs.  But she must be diligent in taking her vitamins.  I know there are free or priced apps on iOS or Android that will help remind her. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic