Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Need helo with hair journey, please!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Stephiebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stephiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need helo with hair journey, please!
    Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 3:58pm
Ok i posted this somewhere else but im not sure if it was the right place so im going to try again here.

Ok so i've been lurking around the forums for a while and ive been able to pick up some good habits but i need more help, and i feel like my hair is so specific that i wont be able to get any but any input you guys can give will be great :)
So, when i was younger my hair never really curled, it was straight and wavy for the most part. My mom didnt really know what to do with it so she straightened it all of the time. Now i'm starting a hair journey because i got tried of my short damaged hair.
My hair is relaxed and has low porosity. I'm currently transitioning though, because i dont want to keep weakening my hair with relaxer. I wear my hair down all of the time, but if im at home i wear it up.
People here seem to STRESS the act of moisturizing and sealing every day, but that just leaves me hair feeling really greasy and a bit weighed down.
Here is my normal routine and if you have any input that will help me that will be great. In addition, if you want you can state your hair length, what you did to get there, and how long it took. Thanks :) ok so here it is:
Cowash once a week (my hair loves it. I cant stretch my washes any longer because sebum will start to build up on my scalp)
Moisturize with cantu shea butter and seal with oil (when needed)
GHE (for only a few hours, overnight makes my hair revert and/or turn to mush)
I switch every week between protein and moisturizing treatments
I wrap my hair every night
(NOTE: i am 17 years old. Also when i wash let my hair air dry for as long as possible and i blow dry with low heat. I use heat protectant. I have no split ends and little breakage so my hair is not badly heat damaged)
Sponsored Links

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 9:01pm
Hi Stephiebear. Welcome to BHM.   I am still struggling with my regimen, so I cannot offer much help.
Have you tried YouTube. Visually you may find someone with your texture. You can search 'Beginning a natural hair journey'. You can also check out videos from ModernMrsHuxtable, HeyFrannyHey, Naptural85. These are just a few I follow, of course there are many, many others.

Good Luck
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 9:40pm
Mahoganycurls is another good YouTuber.

I guess it will all depend on whether you want to use store bought products, or DIY, or a combination of both.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2014 at 6:59pm
Thanks so much for your reply!
I'm going to check those youtubers, i've already seen a few of Mahoganycurls's videos. I prefer DIY stuff but i wouldn't mind any store bought products (as long as i have no problem with the ingredients)
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 3:09pm
you say you have no split ends and little breakage, so what exactly is the problem you're having with your hair? are you looking for styling input?

my hair is almost APL, ranging from 8 inches to 12. What i did to get here is hard to narrow down, because it's usually not difficult for me to grow my hair problem-free to at least BSL to be honest (except my crown area. I kept cutting my hair because it took me a good few years to figure out how to manage my crown area, and i'm FINALLY there. my crown has caught up to 9 inches, almost to my collarbone, so now i can quit chopping off the rest of my hair to keep it even lol but left to its own devices the bulk of my hair would be down my back while my evil crown section would be stuck way up at ear length. that's how it was when my hair was BSL the reason i kept chopping my hair off. just didn't look right and i had to keep struggling to blend the short crown with the uber long perimeter.) Noooww, I'm here trying to teach myself temperance and how not to be so darn scissor-happy Angry

but it takes about 2 years to grow hair out to past the shoulders. about 2 years from a clean shave to APL, i believe, for most people. but when my hair was longer (BSL) it took me a year and a half to two to grow my hair from EL to BSL, if that helps you any. And that with a few trims. 

about what you said about moisturizing and sealing. i know most people, if not everyone, seems to advocate that, but it's highly individual. i'm the only person i know who doesn't moisturize and seal. and i darn sure am not about to go out of my way to do that, and certainly not on a daily basis (waay too much manipulation and buildup). I only just started using oil in my hair recently, and that only because i discovered that combination oil makes my WNG's fluffy and fuller. so my use of oil is purely aesthetic. but when i grew my hair out to a healthy, full BSL a couple years back i did not EVER moisturize my hair and seal it, and i had healthier hair than most naturals and relaxed heads combined lol 

so it just depends on your hair. do i think moisture and sealing are necessary? no, but just not for my hair, since i figured out waaaay back that my hair can be dry and its health not be affected by it. dryness is purely an aesthetics thing for my head of hair, but it has no impact on whether my hair splits or breaks unless i'm trying to manipulate or detangle my hair while it's crisp. 
your hair might be the same way.

plus, my hair doesn't generally care for product, as products have a tendency to make my hair break. i had to figure this out the hard way. i kept wondering why is my hair so different?!? because every natural seemed to use ALL these products, and i went crazy trying to keep up, and was always disappointed wondering why products just weighed my hair down and made me have to wash my hair that much faster no matter how little i used. Confused 

so you don't have to go with that moisturize and seal advice if you feel as though it's not doing anything for your hair. not everyone's hair will respond well to even the "tried and true" methods. but again, what exactly is your question, or, what exactly do you need help with? LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:41am
Well, the problem is that my hair seems to not be growing. Even though i'm doing all of this my hair seems to stay the same length. So i figured i must be doing something wrong.
Also, i don't have much breakage, but i do have a lot of shedding.
eternalhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eternalhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 2:20pm
You must know there is no quick fix. However, keep learning your hair. Find out what your hair likes and dislikes. This is key to your hair's health. You will get there, so keep pressing. Good Luck!

Hair Grade A+ (Groomed & Healthy)
I have several textures!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/Moorevolve
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake