Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
ALL4U View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALL4U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice
    Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 12:15pm
Going natural is a choice i made almost two years ago. However, my family is always getting on me about my hair. They feel that I do not look presentable which i do not understand. I have read a lot of post that state being natural you have to be confident. I feel like my family ahould backoff but due to the nitpicking and negative comments i began heat training. Bad choice. My hair has broken off become very brittle and I am unable to style my hair when straight. Has anyone had issues with negative views from family members that just drove you to the point you reconsidered being natural? My entire life they found something wrong with me and commented so I am very insecure in my own family. Also, is it too late to save my hair? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

scox89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scox89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 1:52pm
i deal with that alot but hey, if its not one thing its another either im too fat or too thin my hair is wild etc etc look LOVE YOU. the confidence thing that you mentioned naturals have is because MOST naturals have accepted who they are from the curly roots of their heads to the soles of their feet. if you don't love yourself, comments that people make can truly tear you down. as for repairing your hair, i'd recommend trying the aphogee 2 step treatment, and adding a good moisture regimen. i would also skip shampoos and just co wash. you can clarify if you need to. or if you can't skip shampoos use a moisturizing shampoo. also add in baggying to your ends at night. make sure u moisturize and seal your ends frequently and use a protective style so you can leave your hair alone. hope it gets better
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 9:04am
Cut some of them mofos off. You don't need that shiit in your life. Family or not, you don't deserve to be treated that way.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 2:45pm
I did when the first time I went natural.  I caved in and got a relaxer done by folks who think people of African descent have hair like steel wool and can withstand almost anything like gold or titanium.  My hair broke off so bad after going to those butchers (I hope they went out of business).  But ironically after that incident, I went hard in the paint and grew my hair out to almost elbow length but chopped it off to get an asymmetrical bob.   Fast forward now, I am natural a second time and I barely let anyone approach my hair with heat styling tool.  My hair is okay but trying to put an end to SSK.  I think I have approach a solution for it.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 2:46pm
Oh crap, I forgot to give you advice.  Basically develop a tough skin and surround yourself with positive people.  Before you know it, they will approach you for hair advice.
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 7:01pm
it sounds sad, but wait until your hair gets long.  when it does, these same people will flock to you for hair advice and say how beautiful your hair is, how they should have gone natural, and they would if they "could" or had "hair like yours."  sad, but oh so true.

i know b/c it happened to me.

now, look at me....all star studded! :-)
SweetEscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetEscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2012 at 7:24am
Originally posted by bebe88 bebe88 wrote:

Cut some of them mofos off. You don't need that shiit in your life. Family or not, you don't deserve to be treated that way.

I agree with all of this. 

I went through the same thing with some of my family when I went natural.  I even considered getting a relaxer to please them. They have forgotten what their hair looked like before that relaxer.  I don't associate with those family members anymore, don't need the negativity. Me & my fro speak at family functions & keep it moving.  There is only one person we should be pleasing anyway and He loves you & your hair. Heck, He made you that way. 
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 8:59am
IA. Limit your interaction with the ones you don't need to see.  And know that the ones you do see will have something different to say when your hair gets longer.

As far as your hair now, it's not too late!  Find a way to hide your hair.  Times have changed and wigs/weaves/extensions have become VERY natural-looking.  There's a style out there for everyone you just have to be dedicated enough to find it. 

When you do find it, try not to have your hair ou for longer than 1-1.5 weeks cause you may be tempted to do something you'll regret AND you'll subject yourself to the nagging.

Use a basic regi to get going:  cleanse, condition, moisturize and style (in a low manipulation style)

Don't worry about growth aids right now.  Be sure to get a good multivitamin, increase your water intake, decrease your stress and get some good sleep.  I'd also like to add, find a way to get active!  I've been able to contribute my biggest growth spurts to times when I began doing more physical activities (which, for me, is dancing).
Lia2zeros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lia2zeros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:27am
Sorry to hear that you're feeling troubled about your hair. You're getting those comments because people just want to put you into a box that is comfortable for THEM. I agree that you should try to go back to basics.. Surround yourself with those who are positive about the choices you make and don't feel that you have to challenge or even listen to others when they talk about your hair. Water off a duck's back.
(Hugs)

Edited by Lia2zeros - Nov 04 2012 at 7:32am
soarlikecruz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soarlikecruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 8:45am
No offense to my family but if they don't like how I wear my hair then it's too bad. It's not affecting them so they don't need to worry (as for as i know, none of them have really had and opinion, just saying). Don't damage you hair just because you feel pressured to. Work on getting you hair back to healthy and don't worry about what they have to say about it. Simply change the subject if they bring it up or don't interact with them as much.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>