Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Children's Hair > Children's Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNE1 Raising Vegetarian Children?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
i12havlongrhair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NE1 Raising Vegetarian Children?
    Posted: Aug 15 2004 at 11:24am
I've been reading this book called The Vegetarian Female by Anika Avery-Grant, RD and it's really put some steam behind my transition to a more vegetarian lifestyle.   The problem is that my daughter is slow to jump on board.   On Saturday, we went grocery shopping and I picked up lots of fruit, whole grain bread and cereal, frozen veggies, but I did not buy any meat (or junk food).   She did not look very happy, but she was willing to listen to my reasons for shopping that way.   I picked up some vegetarian corn dogs, hot dogs, and 'nuggets' to help her get into the idea, but I might need some more assistance.   Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

lils_mama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2004 at 12:37am
im not raising my 3 yr old vegetarian but i didnt start her on meat until she was nearly 15 months old....to this day she is still not fond of red meat,  i offer it to her only to have it left on her plate.  shes getting to wear she wont even eat chicken.  with this in mind i make sure to provide her with alternative  sources of protein.  this includes, beans, peanut butter, eggs, cottage cheese etc. 
penu View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2004 at 7:44am
I'm a vegetarian and you can get yourself a good book about vegeterian recipies, i was amazed the type of yummy stuff you can make out of tofu, bean powder (tofu meat ball, bean powder patties, black beaned patties, the more crispy the better taste) . I would say give your daughter enough time, it might be difficult on her to transition....but i would get different recipie books and see what she likes, i wish i could get my son to eat what i eat, he is only 2, and the boy doesn't like food at all, but he likes peperoni like no body's business and that is not healthy at all.

Edited by penu
lils_mama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2004 at 2:50am
welcome penu
kishadee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2004 at 7:47am

Originally posted by lils_mama lils_mama wrote:

welcome penu

I like your name, Lils_mama.

And Welcome Penu.

Edited by kishadee
kishadee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2004 at 8:05am

I also have a 2 and a half old son, I'm a vegeterian, my husband is a meat lover. My son is not in to foods at all, i was hoping to get him started early to get used to vegeterian stuff, but that seems impossible now. I wish he starts eating FOOD that i can slowly get him in to the vegeterian food.

I don't want to mix up this, but it's better to post in another post what i'm about to ask, which is how to deal with not only picky for a child who does not eat at all.

penu View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2004 at 8:20am

Thanks guys,

Kishadee, i reply on your post about picky eater. Don't worry too much, especially when you can't do nothing about it. There will be a time when they start eating as they go older. i used to be like you, it didn't help the situation. They said they will out grow it and i'm waiting for that time.

Edited by penu
lils_mama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2004 at 3:59am
Originally posted by kishadee kishadee wrote:

Originally posted by lils_mama lils_mama wrote:

welcome penu

I like your name, Lils_mama.

And Welcome Penu.

hi kishadee~ thankyou for liking my name,  thats sweet  in reply to your post.....  i would totally not worry about youyr sons eating habits..............................he WILL eat when he is hungry   if i were you,  i would give him a multi vitamin daily.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 3:23pm
for the picky eaters try natural blended fruit smoothies/ shakes to encourage apptites try diffrent natural frozzen homemade fruit bars, a variety of fresh fruit and dry nuts and seeds ground up if ness, ie nut butters etc. with the nuts do not intoduce into diet too early cause can lead to allgerys.  oh yeah , kids like things that look fun. Simple but fun try even serving on his own style plate bit size food, primary colors and make meal time into a fun time play with him to help him get intrested but don't force plus regular meal times are important and also snacks avalible in case he/she likes to eat more or less. 

Edited by naturesgift - May 10 2007 at 3:26pm
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic