Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nature vs Nurture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
missunfoolish View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nature vs Nurture?
    Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:29am
anyone know about nature vs nurture? the debate on who you are is from
nature = genetics
or
nurture = environment 

i've been racking my brain and i cant find an example for this and write about it. 
trying to find an example that i can relate to.. 

Sponsored Links

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:33am

For example, when a person achieves tremendous academic success, did they do so because they are genetically predisposed to be successful or is it a result of an enriched environment? If a man abuses his wife and kids, is it because he was born with violent tendencies or is it something he learned by observing his own parents behavior?

A few examples of biologically determined characteristics (nature) include certain genetic diseases, eye color, hair color, and skin color. Other things like life expectancy and height have a strong biological component, but they are also influenced by environmental factors and lifestyle.

An example of a nativist theory within psychology is Chomsky's concept of a language acquisition device (or LAD). According to this theory, all children are born with an instinctive mental capacity that allows them to both learn and produce language.

A number of characteristics are tied to environmental influences. How a person behaves can be tied to influence such as parenting styles and learned experiences. For example, a child might learn through observation and reinforcement to say 'please' and 'thank you.' Another child might learn to behave aggressively by observing older children engage in violent behavior on the playground.

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:48am
As far as writing about it i think it would be easiest to pick a side (nature or nurture) and write from that position. Then find things to support your position.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:56am
thats a good way to start, since i couldnt find something to relate to

i was looking at some articles about twins separated at birth and reuniting having crazy similarities
kind of crazy. i was sure that nurture would be a big part in who you are, but these twins were raised in a different environment, different people to come across
and yet they still were so similar. makes me wonder if you are just predisposed to who you are genetically. 

then again i dont know what type of environment they were raised in, maybe they both had good caring families and that allowed them to do what they wanted?
idk. but still, what are the odds of getting a divorced and remarrying to a girl w the same name lol
then they both named their sons james allan & james alan. Shocked
idk is this a good point that nature played a BIG part?

like have yall ever tried not to be like your parents, and end up being just like them in the end?
genetics crazy 

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:05am
Genetics are markers that are passed down from each parents. gives you your distinct physical features. Isn't that far of a stretch that they also would pass along distinct emotional/behavioral characteristic as well.

Just like you can have a genetic disorder that is passed down to the child, some mental illness can be traced within families, such as depression and the like.

You also have examples of nature vs. nurture within households that have multiple children, and the parent favors one over the other. They're both raised in the same environment, but because of the positive reinforcement & attention, one child strives or excels past the other children.

My personal opinion is that nature & nurture are married. They're not separate, they're contiguous concepts.

Hope what I've said helps! Good luck!
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:08am
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

thats a good way to start, since i couldnt find something to relate to

i was looking at some articles about twins separated at birth and reuniting having crazy similarities
kind of crazy. i was sure that nurture would be a big part in who you are, but these twins were raised in a different environment, different people to come across
and yet they still were so similar. makes me wonder if you are just predisposed to who you are genetically. 

then again i dont know what type of environment they were raised in, maybe they both had good caring families and that allowed them to do what they wanted?
idk. but still, what are the odds of getting a divorced and remarrying to a girl w the same name lol
then they both named their sons james allan & james alan. Shocked
idk is this a good point that nature played a BIG part?

like have yall ever tried not to be like your parents, and end up being just like them in the end?
genetics crazy 

Looks like you're leaning towards nurture being a stronger influence, so write from that position. It will make it easier to write from a place of stronger opinion. LOL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:30am
how so nurture? cause the lack of environment evidence?

lol but tbh its still eh to me, im not sure how much i can bs off this, thats why i tried finding something interesting that i could relate to but no luck
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:52am
I'm sorry I meant nature...lmao. I'm still half sleep. Because the twins were separated but still had such striking similarities, it looks like your argument is more so leaning towards nature. They were not around each other, nor around their birth parents, but they still managed to have the same likes, dislikes.

iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 6:45am
Nature is inclination towards certain behaviors, thoughts, emotions, and skills and etc. Nurturing is forming a certain behavior and all of the other stuff. So really they are both nature since we are teachable and have the ability to process information. The thing about is raising your self awareness to be aware of all your actions so in one they are the same.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 6:59am
One would need a longitudinal study over the course of multiple generations controlling subjects from grandparents to your actual study subjects two generations later. Controlling their society, environment, diet education eliminating inequity etc etc

I think humans are an amalgam of both and more often than not, our reactions to society and how we perceive it and participate in it is by large part a result of nurture which affects out natural scholastic abilities

But it's a broad question and maybe better answered by asking a specific question. However when you look at civilisations in the past, there has always been a strong presence of group think and acceptable group behaviour.

Don't know if that makes any sense
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System