Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic Closednaturals who weave it up (sew in)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
CurlyDreams View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2011 at 8:30pm

1. how long do you leave the sew in in for

4-6 weeks

2. how much of a break do you give your hair in between sew ins...like do you do them back to back or you take 2-4 weeks off

I usually take about a week off

3. do you feel sew ins have thinned your hair (major concern of mine)

No, I make sure not to braid or sew too tight.

4. do you feel sew ins have contributed to growth or are just a mere style and have not helped nor hindered your hair

I feel that sew-ins have definitely contributed to my growth because I don't have to use heat to style my natural hair (I wear closures), and I'm able to moisturize on a daily basis without worrying about my hair becoming oily or frizzy.
Sponsored Links

AmandaKay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2011 at 9:41pm
LOL! I was coming to read the suggestion, and then I got called out! LOL

I wear my weave for 3 to 4 months. The calculation in weeks makes it seem like such an awful long time, but it's 12 to 16 weeks. I experimented last year by leaving my hair up for 4 1/2 weeks, and I didn't have any ill effects, but that's me. I wouldn't suggest going over 6-8 weeks if you don't know how your hair will react.

2. how much of a break do you give your hair in between sew ins...like do you do them back to back or you take 2-4 weeks off

I usually do two or three weeks. I would go back to back, but I do my own installs, and I started dreading braiding my hair for a flat foundation once I started inching closer to APL. During the break time period, I  do a hardcore protein treatment because in my installs I'm usually giving my hair beaucoup moisture. Also, I keep my hair twisted.  I only trim my hair once a year when I straighten. Since I have been weaving up, the amount I trim is much smaller than normal.

I will not lie. The first time I took out install, I swore I was bald. That amount of hair that came out was absolutely CRAZY. So be prepared for that. However, it has not thinned out my hair at all. The key is to make sure you braids aren't tight. I have recently started using a net for my installs. I did not see breakage with a net, but I took the extra precaution just in case because I wear my installs for a long period of time. I have read opinions that as your hair grows then tension from the thread and cause your hair to break. So avoid this, I've started to use a net. FYI: Always have some hair pins handy to scratch because LAAWWWWWDDDDDD.......

I have made my installs too tight before, and I immediately took them down. There will be a little "snugness" when you first get a weave, but it should never be painful or uncomfortable.

So, in a nutshell, I have avoided thinning through no tight braids or tight sewing. 

4. do you feel sew ins have contributed to growth or are just a mere style and have not helped nor hindered your hair

I've been toying with what protective style works for me. I've done kinky twists, crochet braids, box braids, no-extension twists and braids, buns, you name it. They weren't successful ENOUGH for me because I never was consistent nor did I leave them in for the recommended time to see results. I get antsy and anxious real quick with my hair. And when I protective style, I MISS seeing my hair that I prematurely take down the styles.

With weaves, I have the freedom of having my wild and free hair, but being able to keep my hair protected. I make sure I wear hair that resembles my own. I get the weave in a goal length so that way I can see what I'm working towards, and I have the practice and patience in deal with my hair. I never want to be one of of the girls that takes down her weave, and is at a complete loss on how to care for her hair. I can take being style challenged, but not being able to care for my hair is a no-no. So I only get hair that requires the same attention as mine (which isn't that much). I go days without combing my KC without it matting up. The only thing I can get away with the weave that I couldn't with my real hair is that I don't moisturize the weave everyday.

I will say the mistake I made, which I think has hindered me from being BSL or full BSL by now, is not properly detangling. The take down process is on of the most important parts. For one install and take down process, I was not patient about detangling. I was so excited to see my growth that I rushed through detangling so that I could wash my hair and everything. At the time, I didn't think I did anything wrong; however, I started doing other methods and realized that I probably hindered my progress. Lesson learned. When I take down my weaves, it's an all day process that includes meals, breaks, and stretches. It might seem excessive, but it's worth it.

Also, I recognized the "weak" parts of my hair, and I keep them out when I'm weaved up. These are my edges and nape. So I leave my entire perimeter out to baby them and give them TLC. These are GREATLY paid off. My nape was always the "slow bloomer" when it came to my other hair. I didn't need it to feel left out.

Edited by AmandaKay - Jun 11 2011 at 9:50pm
cutie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 1:41am
im currently wearing a sew in that ive had for 9 wks. im taking it down this week and getting it re-done. hopefully this will help me retain length b/c im getting frustratedAngry
Alexis303 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 5:12am
Originally posted by ballinactress11 ballinactress11 wrote:

Hey yall...so after much debate im considering getting a sew in to revamp my look as I move up in life and begin gradute school in the fall!!!! i can remember being on bhm back in highschool...my how time flies.

Anywho i wanted to ask a few questions to you naturals who wear sew ins because i know i could relate to you all more so than a relaxed hair individual so let me begin

1. how long do you leave the sew in in for  Anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

2. how much of a break do you give your hair in between sew ins...like do you do them back to back or you take 2-4 weeks off  Usually a few days to wash really good, recolor if needed, give my scalp a break, get some deep conditioning in, etc...  Sometimes I leave the weave out for a few weeks.

3. do you feel sew ins have thinned your hair (major concern of mine) Not at all.

4. do you feel sew ins have contributed to growth or are just a mere style and have not helped nor hindered your hair  Definitely sew-ins have helped.  They have helped tremendously.  Just make sure your stylist knows what you are doing and is careful with your hair.

ballinactress11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2011 at 2:10am
wow thanks for all the responses ladies
Shardd:) View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 3:01pm
Im trying wigs ATM but I wore weaves for a bit too so heres my contribution

8 weeks...I could have and WOULD have gone for longer but I missed my hair tooo much

I would have given my hair a week break

The opposite. Sew ins make my hair THICKER

DEFINITELY. They are a fantastic PS but I miss my hair to much and I'm to impatient to see my growth so I'm wiggign it for a bit. But I will be returning to weaves very soon.
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 3:57pm
I transitioned with weaves as I was too chicken to BC......
I am currently not wearing a weave as I forced myself to appreciate my natural texture and learn how to care for it without a weave.  I've done this for 2 months and I'm going back to weaves soon as a protective measure.

8-10 weeks max (depends on quality of your install and individual growth rate)

Normally back to back but I will probably give myself 2 weeks as a new standard on my next sew in.

No thinning in my natural hair overall.  I have struggled with leaveout when I don't wear a closure because of too much manipulation.  I concur with monitoring the braids and method of application of the wefts. 

I feel as though sew-ins are critical to protective styling for me.  I probably would not be natural if I were unable to transition with a sew in.  I didn't have the "natural" appreciation that I do now and transitioning would have been virtually impossible for me.
ballinactress11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 2:18am
my friend just installed boboraz in her hair..you can see it in the bobraz appreciation thread in the weaves section and it looks soooo good im thinking of letting her go head and put that in my head
Jesusismymercy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 4:33pm

@12 weeks
a day or two
Not, really
Wow! my hair grew a lot in the last year. Last year this time, I was getting treated for a brain tumor and my hair just touched my neck. Now my hair is at my breast bone. I wash my hair every week using HairVeda products and oil it once a week with an oil mixed with olive oil, JBC and MegaTek. Also I do not use shampoo.

I am use Custom Curl from EP and I do a two strand twist for the front of my hair up to blend and I love it

nikietc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 4:55pm
(first, hugs to JIMM^^ Hug)

<-----weave. nobody can tell me that the install doesn't look like my hair! LOL

the shortest time has been 1 week, the longest 3 months. with my growth rate, I really try to stay around 2 months or less.

at least a week. I feel like I need to give my hair and scalp extra TLC after being hidden for so long

nope. I already have thin hair to begin with (runs in both sides of my family, so I couldn't escape, lol) and medical issues that keep it that way, but my hair has remained the same density as it was before the install. I do have to keep my edges out always due to the thinning though. I could never get a full sew in because I know my edges would have me walking around looking like Naomi Campbell!! LOL

yes, weaves helped me get past the hump and get me to MBL last year. I just installed another weave (same as my avi) and I'm hoping it will get me back there again since I cut it last year. 

hints/tips and tricks:
- use a net for your install. keeps the pressure off of your natural hair.
- use nylon thread or if you use regular thread, moisturize it so it's not scraping against your hair as - you pull it through
- get those pointy tipped coloring bottles to wash your hair under your install. dilute your poo/conditioner and put it in the bottle to make sure you get to your scalp. can also be used for moisturizing and sealing.
- don't braid too tight. the thread will tighten your braids as you go, so don't make it tight to begin with. if you're using a net, they don't need to be that tight because your braids aren't anchoring your install.
- make sure the person installing your hair knows what they are doing! don't let someone else be the downfall of your hair. don't be afraid to ask 100000001 questions. after a stylist effed up my hair, I learned to self install because if something goes wrong, I know it was my fault. I can't see what someone else is doing while installing, but I can always see what I'm doing in the mirror.
- if you get hair that matches your natural texture, it will make life easier. no blending issues and no damage to your hair
- keep up with your reggie. just b/c you have an install doesn't mean you can slack on your hair care/vitamins/growth aides/etc. I hate it when ppl take better care of their weave than their own hair.
- have FUN with your weave! it's not your hair so you can go crazy with styling it! I like to experiment with color (before installing!), do crazy tangle-prone styles, and fry the mess out of the weave because it's not my hair! enjoy the ride!

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic