Perfect Hair Collection

Natural hair staples?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 5:24am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I went to Walmart tonight and bought some conditioners I've seen recommended online by natural hair gurus--Hello Hydration, Tresemme Naturals, and Pantene Relaxed and Natural. I got the Cantu Grow Strong, some ACV, and Crisco. I also got some sulfate free shampoo. I can't wait to use it. My hair is never soft. It's always grown well but it's always dry and stiff unless I do a roller set or flat iron.

Some of the things I had on my list including some recommendations from this thread weren't at Walmart so I'll have to get them from my BSS or online.

SN, i see the path youre heading on and all i can do is hold the door for youLOL
Sponsored Links

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 10:08am

I went to Walmart tonight and bought some conditioners I've seen recommended online by natural hair gurus--Hello Hydration, Tresemme Naturals, and Pantene Relaxed and Natural. I got the Cantu Grow Strong, some ACV, and Crisco. I also got some sulfate free shampoo. I can't wait to use it. My hair is never soft. It's always grown well but it's always dry and stiff unless I do a roller set or flat iron.

Some of the things I had on my list including some recommendations from this thread weren't at Walmart so I'll have to get them from my BSS or online.
Did you get the cantu shea butter leave in conditioner? That is a good one because you need a good leave in. What is the Cantu grow strong?.... Make all your shampoos sulfate free. Opt for conditioner washes unless you use the crisco or other heavy products. If you use natural oil like the olive oil or coconut oil they are better than crisco and not as heavy. Since you know the roller sets work for you keep doing those weekly and create you a personal challenge of doing roller sets. Open a roller set challenge here if you need encouragement and other ideals for roller sets, that would be fun. Did you trim your ends any lately, since you are starting your journey? Trim to keep your ends from becoming to thin. I see lots of people with 4 inches of thin ends. Your ends may be thin some but you do not want several inches of thin ends. Just something to be aware of as your journey continues. I will be more than happy to help you with any question I can answer, inbox me anytime. Smile Blessings!!!!
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:00am
Lol @ tatee.

Veemack I already have the Leave-in. I saw the Grow Strong recommended as a mousturizer on another site. I think it was blackhair101.com. The first three ingredients are water, shea butter, and glycerine.

I HATE roller setting my hair. Maybe I am just slow but it takes hours. I'd rather stay weaved up or wear ponytails. I think my ends are fine though. They still look really full but the last trim I had was in Feb.

Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by SweetNovember*<br><br>Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.<br>

[/QUOTE SweetNovember*

Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.
[/QUOTE wrote:

i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i e

i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i either know im about to clarify or if im about to straighten my hair.  its just easier for me to remember.
here are some sulfate free clarifying shampoos, ive never used any:sfc-shampoo
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 7:33am

Lol @ tatee.

Veemack I already have the Leave-in. I saw the Grow Strong recommended as a mousturizer on another site. I think it was blackhair101.com. The first three ingredients are water, shea butter, and glycerine.

I HATE roller setting my hair. Maybe I am just slow but it takes hours. I'd rather stay weaved up or wear ponytails. I think my ends are fine though. They still look really full but the last trim I had was in Feb.

Clarifying shampoo and cleansers are only strong shampoos that have a larger amount of sulfates in them and other harsh cleansing agents to remove dirt and grime from your hair strands. What goes on the hair that doesn't change the protein bonds will always come back off the hair. Including silicones, always remember this. So if you are cleansing your hair on a weekly basis there will not be build up. The scalp is easy to clean also. The higher the amount of sulfates and detergents the higher the PH, when the PH gets out of 7 range, then you need to really add moisture back into your hair in large amounts. So if you choose to clarify add lots of moisture back....

I do not run from silicones, but I do not use them on a weekly basis. When I do, I find that regular sulfate shampoo removes them from my hair but keep in mind I shampoo once or twice a week. The silicones do not penetrate the hair shaft they stick on top of the hair shaft, so they can easily be washed off......I also use a herbal mudd wash to cleanse my hair strands to give it that extra cleanse without stripping the hair. This stuff is amazing.

littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:59pm
hm...i'm not sure. if i had to say based off what i routinely buy, it would be mane n tail condish. but i don't use it that often. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by SweetNovember*<br><br>Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.<br>

</td></tr></table><br>i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i either know im about to clarify or if im about to straighten my hair.  its just easier for me to remember. <br>here are some sulfate free clarifying shampoos, ive never used any:<a href=http://www.thefind.com/beauty/info-sulfate-free-clarifying-shampoo target=_blank rel=nofollow>sfc-shampoo</a><br>[/QUOTE SweetNovember*

i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i either know im about to clarify or if im about to straighten my hair.  its just easier for me to remember.
here are some sulfate free clarifying shampoos, ive never used any:sfc-shampoo
[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks so much! I see the Aveeno one is at Walgreens. I wonder if the sulfate free clarifying shampoos remove silicones? I want to see if I can cut out sulfates completely. I still have so much to learn. I want to try different regimens to see which one works for me.

Thanks so much! I see the Aveeno one is at Walgreens. I wonder if the sulfate free clarifying shampoos remove silicones? I want to see if I can cut out sulfates completely. I still have so much to learn. I want to try different regimens to see which one works for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Lol @ tatee.

Clarifying shampoo and cleansers are only strong shampoos that have a larger amount of sulfates in them and other harsh cleansing agents to remove dirt and grime from your hair strands. What goes on the hair that doesn't change the protein bonds will always come back off the hair. Including silicones, always remember this. So if you are cleansing your hair on a weekly basis there will not be build up. The scalp is easy to clean also. The higher the amount of sulfates and detergents the higher the PH, when the PH gets out of 7 range, then you need to really add moisture back into your hair in large amounts. So if you choose to clarify add lots of moisture back....

I do not run from silicones, but I do not use them on a weekly basis. When I do, I find that regular sulfate shampoo removes them from my hair but keep in mind I shampoo once or twice a week. The silicones do not penetrate the hair shaft they stick on top of the hair shaft, so they can easily be washed off......I also use a herbal mudd wash to cleanse my hair strands to give it that extra cleanse without stripping the hair. This stuff is amazing.

My hair is very porous based on what I've been told by my stylist and on what I have been reading. I think the harsh detergents only make my hair dryer and rougher. PLus I have scalp issues. I don't think I mind the silicones, but if I will use them I hope I can remove them without using sulfates. I'm really hoping I can use the one without using the other and see if it makes my hair shinier and more manageable.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Lol @ tatee.

My hair is very porous based on what I've been told by my stylist and on what I have been reading. I think the harsh detergents only make my hair dryer and rougher. PLus I have scalp issues. I don't think I mind the silicones, but if I will use them I hope I can remove them without using sulfates. I'm really hoping I can use the one without using the other and see if it makes my hair shinier and more manageable.
Right, those sulfates are not good especially for Afro hair, it strips it to much and causes tangles.......Try the non sulfate shampoo first to wash off the silicones, it will probably work just fine. I use the shea moisture non sulfate shampoo and it rinse off the silicones that I use on occasion......When you say manageable what do you mean? SSk, tangles, matts or what? ACV rinses will help with sheen and clarifying. You can add a little to your shampoo for cleansing or make a rinse to use as a final rinse out. You will see a big difference.
RedAdmiral101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedAdmiral101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:13am
Hope you like the crisco! :)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style