Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Natural hair but a relaxed state of mind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 28>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 1.73  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:52am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

And just to clarify what I was saying, I'm not accusing you. I know that trimming while straight is what most people do and that it's not necessarily because they have sat there and taken the time and decided that their straightened hair is more important to them than their natural hair. I'm just offering another way of looking at it.

It's more like a chicken or the egg type of question.
Like I said in my other post, I do what works for my hair. Whether that is something most people do or not is not my problem nor something I care about. You're looking for a deeper meaning where there is none at least when it comes to my post.

I don't even get what you're saying in the bold
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:55am

Is anyone offended yet?
Confused
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:56am
Another thing: I haven't been relaxed long enough to have that frame of mind. I've been natural the majority of my life.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:56am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but you seem to be searching for some kind of validation. Every time you make a hair thread in TTT, it's usually a darker girl with kinky hair and go on about how their hair is oh so gorgeous along with them. Not saying they aren't pretty and don't have nice hair but when you do it enough for a trend to be recognized, I think there's more to it than admiring someone else and their beauty. This is not an attack before you get ready to call it that. That's an observation.

And IA with HD. You're looking for something you want to be there but isn't. At least not with everyone. You also sound like your deflecting but I digress.

So I never made a thread about a pretty light girl (I recall making two of them)?

What color is the woman in my avi?

Are people angry yet?

LOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:58am

And just to clarify what I was saying, I'm not accusing you. I know that trimming while straight is what most people do and that it's not necessarily because they have sat there and taken the time and decided that their straightened hair is more important to them than their natural hair. I'm just offering another way of looking at it.

Like I said in my other post, I do what works for my hair. Whether that is something most people do or not is not my problem nor something I care about. You're looking for a deeper meaning where there is none at least when it comes to my post.

Okay ImThatDiva. Let's dap it off. We cool. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:00am
Like I said I just asked a question, wasn't trying to offend anybody and if people want to take it in that direction I'm not about to go there with them. That wasn't my purpose and I'm not going to be an accessory to this thread going in that direction.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:11am

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but you seem to be searching for some kind of validation. Every time you make a hair thread in TTT, it's usually a darker girl with kinky hair and go on about how their hair is oh so gorgeous along with them. Not saying they aren't pretty and don't have nice hair but when you do it enough for a trend to be recognized, I think there's more to it than admiring someone else and their beauty. This is not an attack before you get ready to call it that. That's an observation.

And IA with HD. You're looking for something you want to be there but isn't. At least not with everyone. You also sound like your deflecting but I digress.

So I never made a thread about a pretty light girl (I recall making two of them)?

What color is the woman in my avi?

Are people angry yet?

LOLLOLLOL

Please see the bold red. I don't know how that consitutes angry but okay. I've better things to do with my time than get angey over someone trying to tell me why I do what I do LOLLOLLOL

Okay ImThatDiva. Let's dap it off. We cool. Smile
Don't ask questions or statements and not expect responses.
I've no problem with you. Dap it off means cut the discussion short?I thought you wanted to discuss your OP?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:21am
Dap means kind of like a hood handshake. Meaning we're squashing it. 

I'm definitely not about to argue with you but you're trying to redirect the conversation. Nothing in my OP said anything about texture or skin tone and nothing in my OP is specific to texture or skin tone. You brought it up. And yes, although one of my fave youtubers is MahoganyCurls who definitely has a looser texture of hair, I tend to watch mostly people with kinky hair because I have kinky hair so of course I'm going to come across and post more videos of people with kinky hair who happen to be dark skinned because--surprise!--that's what usually goes along with having kinky hair. Actually I got a lot of my ideas from MahoganyCurls and if you know anything about her videos you will know what I mean.

But if I see a video of a woman I think is beautiful I'm gonna post it. I'm not gonna not post because she is light. Give me a break. I have nothing else to say on the matter because once again skin color nor hair type had no part in my OP and I'm too old to be arguing about such things. So if we're finished talking about hair care, let's dap it off.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:24am

I feel that since I have gone natural I am all things natural when it comes to my hair. But it seems a lot of girls still compare their hair to relaxed heads or how it would be if it were relaxed. For example, they straighten it to "see how long it is."Why does it matter how long it is when it is straight if you are natural? I could see if the person said "I straightened it because I wanted to wear it straight" but to straighten it for a length check? Huh?

Because people are focused on length and till their hair reaches a certain length they will not be able to feel the hair brush against their backs unless they stretch it(This is the same reason for the majority(Not all of course) of people to wear long weaves/lace fronts/long wigs/extensions, because they want to experience that feeling of hair brushing against their backs.).

They want to experience that same feeling with their hair in its naturally textured state, but that will take time and if their hair is at a length that they can achieve that look by stretching their hair, then they are going to straighten it.

Also, by knowing the length it is while straight and knowing the amount of shrinkage they have they can calculate their growth rate and will be able to know how long it might take to achieve their length goals and they can assess better when their hair doesn't seem to retain length if that is really the case or not.

For those that could care less about length of course that wouldn't matter.But with the growing market of weaves and the likes, I guess that it would be fair to say that there are many people that care about length.

Then we have those that straighten their hair for a trim. If you are natural, then why must your hair be trimmed to perfection when straight? Not to mention the act of straightening the hair will cause you to require trims more often.

If moisture and protein remain in balance with the proper method and proper use of products then it doesn't have to be that way for everyone. But those that get it trimmed to perfection when straight want to rock their hair at it's best in both conditions as a good trim can refresh a look once they're rocking the more textured look again.
It's a way of being able to have the best of both worlds, by treating it the best way that appeals to them.After all, though it's called going natural, it is really stepping away from the chemicals (for some also anything that MIGHT(it doesn't have to) damage hair.)

Then I just saw a video on youtube of a girl who straightened her hair and cut it into a bob because she didn't like the way it was growing, with the back hanging down longer than the front. As you know, afro hair grows out, not down, so why cut your natural hair based on it's appearance when straightened? How would a bob look in a fro? It seems like she is still basing her hair routine around Eurocentric ideals.

I'm not accusing anyone and not asking anyone to justify their hair care practices, but I'm just asking for your thoughts on this. This is something I have been musing over for a while.

As for my thoughts, I think that any actions done from a Eurocentric point of view are unfortunate. It all depends on the motivation behind it in my opinion. And yes I do agree that a lot of people are measuring the way their hair should look based upon Eurocentric standards, but there are plenty of people that know better than that and I think that in their case it's more a length than a texture thing.

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:25am

wow too many f cks have been wasted in this thread
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 28>