Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Natural hair but a relaxed state of mind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 28>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 1.73  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:43am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

I straighten my hair because I can 
  • like me, because they can.

Thanks for the response and I do appreciate it but that's not a reason. You of course don't have to provide a reason and I'm not demanding one. If you like it straight that's a good enough reason and maybe that's what you mean. But when you have long hair it takes time to straighten and people don't do it without a reason.
When you have long hair it takes time to do EVERYTHING. Especially because my hair is thick.
Detangling
Washing
DCing
Rollers
Twist/Braid/Bantu
etc.
It all takes time. At most, it's getting straightened to be styled because I want to wear it in a straight style or a style that would look better if my hair was straightened as opposed to its natural state. Just like when I want to wear it big and curly, I set it in a twist out. If I want it wavy, I'll do a braid out. It takes time no matter what I'm doing. It all comes down to me just styling hair how I currently feel like wearing it. It isn't deeper than that for me. There's no deeper meaning to anything I do with my hair which goes back to I do what I want with my hair because I can. The only time there is a reason is because I'm going somewhere or doing something that requires my hair to be in a particular kind of style. My sister got married a few weeks back, I had to style my hair so it was dressy. I just got back from our house in Martha's vineyard. I was in the pool and at the whole beach much of the time. Accordingly, my hair was in two tight french braids to avoid tangling.

Sponsored Links

HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:51am
I wrote a whole thang, fvck this site:

Anyways sweet i think you want ppl to admit they don't really want to be natural..... The point is who cares why? Do you want all black women walking around in fros to stick it to the white man? That would make my hair political and it's not that.

I love wearing my hair any which way, straightening to trim makes sense like itd said you catch thing bette

This topic is annoying, this is not the 70s most woman go natural now for health of hair and the
Fact its thicker when straight, has more shine when straight (if done right)

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:52am
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Anyways sweet i think you want ppl to admit they don't really want to be natural..... The point is who cares why? Do you want all black women walking around in fros to stick it to the white man? That would make my hair political and it's not that.

I love wearing my hair any which way, straightening to trim makes sense like itd said you catch thing bette

This topic is annoying, this is not the 70s most woman go natural now for health of hair and the

LampLOL
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:55am
Like i said you want ppl to admit they don't really want to be natural and are reaping the benifits without going through your struggle of what it is to be natural (basing this from here and upstairs)

I love being black because we are versatile, my hair is versatile, i can wear it anyway any how for the simple fact thats how I'm feeling. Yes it might go deeper for some but for most no.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:00am
for hdiva Clap

Edited by f8dagrate - Jun 13 2013 at 6:00am
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:01am

Thanks for the response and I do appreciate it but that's not a reason. You of course don't have to provide a reason and I'm not demanding one. If you like it straight that's a good enough reason and maybe that's what you mean. But when you have long hair it takes time to straighten and people don't do it without a reason.

It all comes down to me just styling hair how I currently feel like wearing it. It isn't deeper than that for me. There's no deeper meaning to anything I do with my hair which goes back to I do what I want with my hair because I can. 

This is all just fine and I said that in the OP.

But to zero in on what I was saying, it isn't necessary to straighten one's hair to trim it. If you were to trim your hair in it's natural state then that means you would be aiming for the optimal look when your hair is worn curly--keep in mind that the front and back may have different textures and what looks right straight won't necessarily look right curly. But you trim it while it is straight because that is what is considered the benchmark. That's what I'm getting at. Once again I'm not saying it's wrong at all. It's just something's I'd thought about and I was just putting it out there.

And for those saying that is a rule--no it is not a rule. I never said anyone had to do anything. It's just an observation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:04am

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Why would someone be natural if they didn't want to be natural? What I'm saying is that people would rather risk damage and a lop sided fro/wash n go than have their sometimes straight hair a little uneven. 

And just to put it out there you don't have to straighten you hair to catch things better. You can trim it in twists if you want to isolate the ends.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:06am

Like i said you want ppl to admit they don't really want to be natural and are reaping the benifits without going through your struggle of what it is to be natural (basing this from here and upstairs)

I love being black because we are versatile, my hair is versatile, i can wear it anyway any how for the simple fact thats how I'm feeling. Yes it might go deeper for some but for most no.

Exactly what struggle am I going through? LOL I can wear my hair straight if I want. Ever heard of rollers, curl formers...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:11am

It all comes down to me just styling hair how I currently feel like wearing it. It isn't deeper than that for me. There's no deeper meaning to anything I do with my hair which goes back to I do what I want with my hair because I can. 

But to zero in on what I was saying, it isn't necessary to straighten one's hair to trim it. If you were to trim your hair in it's natural state then that means you would be aiming for the optimal look when your hair is worn curly--keep in mind that the front and back may have different textures and what looks right straight won't necessarily look right curly. But you trim it while it is straight because that is what is considered the benchmark. That's what I'm getting at. Once again I'm not saying it's wrong at all. It's just something's I'd thought about and I was just putting it out there.

And for those saying that is a rule--no it is not a rule. I never said anyone had to do anything. It's just an observation.

And just to clarify what I was saying, I'm not accusing you. I know that trimming while straight is what most people do and that it's not necessarily because they have sat there and taken the time and decided that their straightened hair is more important to them than their natural hair. I'm just offering another way of looking at it.

It's more like a chicken or the egg type of question.

Edited by SweetNovember* - Jun 13 2013 at 6:13am
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:48am

This is all just fine and I said that in the OP.

LOLLOLLOL I know how MY hair works. I know what it takes to get my hair to look the way I want it to which may or may not correspond with how you think something should be done in order for it to not mean something else. From MANY years of experience with my hair, I get a better shape when it is cut while straight than when it's in it's natural state(some areas are more shrunken than others it's different after it's washed than when it's old. etc.) Cutting my hair in its natural state is terrible for certain styles in particular twist outs and braid outs which I do often especially in the summer months. Keep in mind, my hair is only straightened if I already planned to straighten it to wear as a style. I take the opportunity to trim the ends as need. I'm not going out of my way to straighten just to trim.

What benchmark? Sweet, I've no need to see my length because I already know what's there. I've no reason to and never have had a reason to keep track of my length. I'm not one of the youtube or hair board girls keep growth charts and progress journals(not a jab at anyone who does) because I have no need to.  If you feel that's why people straighten their hair to trim or length check--for benchmarks as you said-- that's fine. Just understand that YOUR truth is not THE truth.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but you seem to be searching for some kind of validation. Every time you make a hair thread in TTT, it's usually a darker girl with kinky hair and go on about how their hair is oh so gorgeous along with them. Not saying they aren't pretty and don't have nice hair but when you do it enough for a trend to be recognized, I think there's more to it than admiring someone else and their beauty. This is not an attack before you get ready to call it that. That's an observation.

And IA with HD. You're looking for something you want to be there but isn't. At least not with everyone. You also sound like your deflecting but I digress.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style