Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Natural hair but a relaxed state of mind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 28>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 1.73  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 1:05am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

The whole heat thing is meh to me.
I have no use for flat ironing bc I don't want my hair that straight.

But I don't think healthy hair is this delicate delicate thing.
I tension blow out and it's fine.

I think I avoided heat early on too.
I was one of those preachy heat free blah blah blah naturals.

Now I do what I want with my hair.
Wash , condition, heat protect, heat.

It's really not gonna hurt anything

You tension blow out for style, right? Volume, added styling options, etc? Not to compare your hair to how it was relaxed or to see/show how long it would be if it were straight, right? To me those are two different things.

But why is it wrong to want to know how long your hair is?

Yes I'm natural but my hair doesn't grow up. It grows out and down. So unless I force a fro, even with shrinkage, when fresh out the shower, my hair still wants to hang, not point up. And since my hair hangs, regardless of how many twists and bantus I do, my hair always shows length, not volume (although my hair is thick).

I think that's the issue that some of us are taking with your questioning why someone wants to straighten their hair for a length check. Just because two people have the same hair type doesn't mean their hair behaves just like everyone else's.

And why is it ok to use heat regularly to encourage volume that you don't naturally show in your hair, but using heat for an occasional length check is wrong or a sign of a desire to adhere to euro centric beauty standards??

Sponsored Links

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 1:08am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

*Looks around nervously* I got some in my trunk Neka. 2 for 1 girl. I'll even through in some pure lemon juice or ACV for a total under $5.Handshake
how very damn dare you

...lemme get a coupla sets though... *gets cash*
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 1:14am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

The whole heat thing is meh to me.
I have no use for flat ironing bc I don't want my hair that straight.

But I don't think healthy hair is this delicate delicate thing.
I tension blow out and it's fine.

I think I avoided heat early on too.
I was one of those preachy heat free blah blah blah naturals.

Now I do what I want with my hair.
Wash , condition, heat protect, heat.

It's really not gonna hurt anything

You tension blow out for style, right? Volume, added styling options, etc? Not to compare your hair to how it was relaxed or to see/show how long it would be if it were straight, right? To me those are two different things.

But why is it wrong to want to know how long your hair is?

Yes I'm natural but my hair doesn't grow up. It grows out and down. So unless I force a fro, even with shrinkage, when fresh out the shower, my hair still wants to hang, not point up. And since my hair hangs, regardless of how many twists and bantus I do, my hair always shows length, not volume (although my hair is thick).

I think that's the issue that some of us are taking with your questioning why someone wants to straighten their hair for a length check. Just because two people have the same hair type doesn't mean their hair behaves just like everyone else's.

And why is it ok to use heat regularly to encourage volume that you don't naturally show in your hair, but using heat for an occasional length check is wrong or a sign of a desire to adhere to euro centric beauty standards??

It's not wrong. I'm just saying there's more to it than that. Progress is still being measured in how far your hair reaches down your back when unnaturally straight, or else there would be no need to straighten. I'm not saying it's wrong. But it's still straight-hair centered. 

Like nita said, not everyone likes the natural look all the time. I'm not trying to force that on anyone. But if you straighten your own hair for style that is at least saying that you wanted your hair long and straight that day. It's not measuring your afro hair according to straight hair standards.

Edited by SweetNovember* - Jun 13 2013 at 1:15am
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 1:17am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

LOL So many rules to be natural...Just let people be!

The more rules the more exclusive...and .the more special some feel. Things arent all hugs and honey in the natural realm..
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 3:31am
After you are natural for more than a year it's really not a big deal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 3:43am
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

LoL I feel you. LOL
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 4:59am
I can't stand this whole "I'm natural" term. It's annoying really when I stop to think about it. I just wear my hair the way it grows. It's not a style or a lifestyle choice--just my hair...growing.

I straighten my hair because I can (and some styles I want to wear look better on straight hair than natural). I don't length check because I grew up having long or longish hair. the shortest my hair has been was a nape length bob and only because I had it cut.

My current length of choice is a layered BSL-MBL. I straighten to trim because I like my hair to lay nicely whether straight, curly, or styled. I can also see the damage to my ends if I have any a lot easier and know where to cut.

A lot of people straighten to length check for one or a combination of the following reason:
  • unable to determine the amount of growth they have accurately when natural
  • do not have a tape measure
  • grew up with short hair and are excited that they are finally growing their hair to certain lengths
  • have length goals and straightened hair is the easiest way to display their growth to followers
  • like me, because they can.

I don't straighten my hair all the time but my hair doesn't get damaged from it because I know how to straighten my hair without it breaking and all that nonsense. People who don't know how to will inevitably run into problems with the health of their hair after straightening.

Someone mentioned earlier something about people wearing wigs weaves 24/7 and not letting their hair breathe, have we ever considered the fact that some people just aren't about doing their hair no matter the texture? Some people don't have the tie or the patience to do their hair. My cousin 3A hair that has always been long. I don't recall ever seeing it shorter than MBL. It's gorgeous and full and thick. You know how she wears it? In ponytails and buns. ALL. THE. TIME. She washes it, conditions it, then throws it in a headband. Someone could ask why she keeps her hair long if she isn't going to do anything with it. She just doesn't care about it. You might argue that her hair is at least out and in view of the world, but it isn't really. You just know she has hair on her head. Even to my sister's wedding a couple weeks ago, she slicked that sh*t back and put it in a doughnut bun. Not everyone cares about their hair and wearing wigs and weaves is a damn easy way to not have to do anything. They're also and easy way to change styles and add color without having to damage you own hair.

One day, I hope to high heavens that people will realize that hair is hair and no matter what you do with it, you are still you. Whether my hair is short, long, straight, curly, bantu knotted, twisted or braided out, I'm still ITD and my hair isn't changing that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:26am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

I straighten my hair because I can 
  • like me, because they can.

Thanks for the response and I do appreciate it but that's not a reason. You of course don't have to provide a reason and I'm not demanding one. If you like it to be straight sometimes* that's a good enough reason and maybe that's what you mean. But when you have long hair it takes time to straighten and people don't do it without a reason.

*edited for clarity

Edited by SweetNovember* - Jun 13 2013 at 5:39am
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:33am
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

This

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:35am
Once again I am not accusing anyone. I was just feeling philosophical for a moment. There's nothing to be defensive about. We are just talking about ideas and attitudes. No one's gonna get hurt. No one has to be right or wrong.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 28>
  Share Topic