Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNatural hair but a relaxed state of mind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 1.73  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural hair but a relaxed state of mind?
    Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:28pm
I feel that since I have gone natural I am all things natural when it comes to my hair. But it seems a lot of girls still compare their hair to relaxed heads or how it would be if it were relaxed. For example, they straighten it to "see how long it is."Why does it matter how long it is when it is straight if you are natural? I could see if the person said "I straightened it because I wanted to wear it straight" but to straighten it for a length check? Huh?

Then we have those that straighten their hair for a trim. If you are natural, then why must your hair be trimmed to perfection when straight? Not to mention the act of straightening the hair will cause you to require trims more often.

Then I just saw a video on youtube of a girl who straightened her hair and cut it into a bob because she didn't like the way it was growing, with the back hanging down longer than the front. As you know, afro hair grows out, not down, so why cut your natural hair based on it's appearance when straightened? How would a bob look in a fro? It seems like she is still basing her hair routine around Eurocentric ideals.

I'm not accusing anyone and not asking anyone to justify their hair care practices, but I'm just asking for your thoughts on this. This is something I have been musing over for a while.

Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:32pm
I like showing off how big my hair has gotten.
Whether that's in Bantu knots and my hair hanging and bouncing or in a nice lush fro I wore out the other day.

I still haven't gotten tight with shrinkage even though I know it's the nature of the beast but it makes showing off progress hard and I don't like it

Edited by jonesable - Jun 10 2013 at 8:46pm
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:39pm
Having even hair is weird. 
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:43pm
When I go back natural, I will mostly wear it in natural styles, but I would sometimes wear it straightened. That's the versatility I am looking for. I no longer want to use chemicals but I still love flat ironed hair. Why must someone forego flat ironed hair and only wear natural styles? ...Idk if I really answered the question.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:44pm
if she doesn't like how her hair looks, unevenness, or what it's doing that's her prerogative...i don't get the issue. 
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by newin2009 newin2009 wrote:

When I go back natural, I will mostly wear it in natural styles, but I would sometimes wear it straightened. That's the versatility I am looking for. I no longer want to use chemicals but I still love flat ironed hair. Why must someone forego flat ironed hair and only wear natural styles? ...Idk if I really answered the question.

What I'm noticing is people sacrificing their natural hair for the sake of wearing straight styles. That's what I'm getting at.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:47pm
And she's completely gorgeous by the way...breathtaking... 
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:49pm
Natural for over 5yrs checkin in...haven't straightened it yet, don't want to.
Straight hair doesn't appeal to me...
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I like showing off how big my hair has gotten.
Whether that's in Bantu knots and my hair hanging and bouncing or in a nice lush fro I wore out the other day.

I still haven't gotten tight with shrinkage even though I know it's the nature of the beast but it makes showing off progress hard and I don't like it

How long have you been natural? 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:55pm
Don't remember I've been letting it grow for 2 and a half years I believe I did some cutting for styling along the way but I haven't in a while.

I'm a little past APL when I pull my hair .
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic