Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Sounds like the blog post was created to stir up controversy and web hits. I am 40 yrs and grew up in the 70s & 80s in a time where black people were in every magazine in national advertisements with unrelaxed afros, braids, afro puffs and this blog post is bullshyt.

But she said that what people are doing today is truly natural, meaning wearing every kink and coil exactly the way it falls, no shaping, no nothing. I thought it was interesting. There is definitely a difference to me in what natural hair was back then and what it is today. You'd never see a Jackson 5 afro walking down the street these days.

What is interesting is that I disagree - I wear my hair in an old fashioned fro as well as a lot of other 4c women in the NJ/NY area and I think that my hair is the minority compared to what I see BHM/IG etc b/c the average woman has a twist out or has some type of gel concoction to stretch the curl and add definition and to make the nap into a wave/curl pattern.
Sponsored Links

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

a lot of people wore afros back in the day simply because a lot of other people were doing it

so yes some of those same people will now say women kook better with straight hair

I tend to think being natural was just a fad for them

nothing too deep

Thank you. I agree 100%. I love unrelaxed hair and my hair has been unrelaxed longer than it was relaxed ( I am not from the 4 yr old with a relaxer generation lol), but I still love straightened hair just as much as I love hair in it's unrelaxed state.Im not a hair snobnor natural nazi so I understand when some people that wore glorious fros love straightened hair.
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:28pm

a lot of people wore afros back in the day simply because a lot of other people were doing it

so yes some of those same people will now say women kook better with straight hair

nothing too deep

Not a fad, they were rocking them before relaxers came out and after. If anything relaxers were a fad, they're slowly dying out. Before I even knew about this natural hair community on the internet, in middle school (06-08) most people I know let relaxers go and simply got their hair flat ironed. It was causing too much damage. And as the years go buy they continue to fade out. My first year of college somebody said "who still gets relaxers"? Nobody in the room said they did but they all had bone straight hair. People have been cutting out the extra step of relaxing & going to straight to straightening for years now. Not necessarily wearing their natural texture though. Nobody sees the point anymore really, you don't need to relax for straight hair
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:31pm
Yeah I think relaxers were all around a bad idea. 
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:32pm
Since I was a child 99% of the black women in commercials were rocking their natural texture, the only time you see black women on TV with straight hair are relaxer commercials or in black made entertainment. In commercials & white productions, black & mixed women were/are always natural, either wearing kinky or curly fros or in braids. Natural women have always been in the media
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:34pm
Journey you're sweet.  I'm going to ask my daughter what how she feels about the subject.  She is 15 and natural and seems to have none of the qualms I had with my nappy hair at her age.  I'm glad things are different now.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

nothing too deep

Not a fad, they were rocking them before relaxers came out and after. If anything relaxers were a fad, they're slowly dying out. Before I even knew about this natural hair community on the internet, in middle school (06-08) most people I know let relaxers go and simply got their hair flat ironed. It was causing too much damage. And as the years go buy they continue to fade out. My first year of college somebody said "who still gets relaxers"? Nobody in the room said they did but they all had bone straight hair. People have been cutting out the extra step of relaxing & going to straight to straightening for years now. Not necessarily wearing their natural texture though. Nobody sees the point anymore really, you don't need to relax for straight hair

they used to get hard presses before relaxers to achieve a straight look (or rock silky straight wigs)

then afros became big and folks rocked them

sorry but there is too much self hatred that includes our hair texture for me to believe the majority rocking natural hair back in the day did so b/c they truly loved it....more like it was the thing to do

but hey I was born in the 1980s, my pov is skewed

and I know plenty of women that still relaxed and a good number that are natural

actually now you have the ladies that don't relax and just apply heat until all the curl pattern is beaten out of it

Or obsess over the 'perfect' loose wave/curl replicating twist out.
Chantal34 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chantal34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

nothing too deep

Not a fad, they were rocking them before relaxers came out and after. If anything relaxers were a fad, they're slowly dying out. Before I even knew about this natural hair community on the internet, in middle school (06-08) most people I know let relaxers go and simply got their hair flat ironed. It was causing too much damage. And as the years go buy they continue to fade out. My first year of college somebody said "who still gets relaxers"? Nobody in the room said they did but they all had bone straight hair. People have been cutting out the eGxtra step of relaxing & going to straight to straightening for years now. Not necessarily wearing their natural texture though. Nobody sees the point anymore really, you don't need to relax for straight hair

After watching Chris Rock's documentary " Good Hair" and seeing that soda can turn to mush in that acid I was done with relaxers. Hayell no....
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 9:21pm
Why'd Doc have to say 'curl pattern is beaten out of it' tho?LOL

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:10pm
Lol the brightside is that it's better for her hair than a perm.

I was secretly disappointed when I found out a friend of mine couldn't relate to my shrinkage. She'd beaten her curl pattern to waves that didn't shrink no 'mo. I'm still looking for a hair length twin in RL Doc. One day!LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic