Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much?
    Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:24pm

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much For Some?

Natural Hair and Advertising...Too Much For Some?
Pin on Pinterest

"I am sick of seeing all those commercials with ethnic/nappy/natural hair!"

I'm not gonna lie and say I remember WHERE I actually read this comment, I must also admit I am paraphrasing because I was only skimming a mag and my mind was actually somewhere else.  Later that day, when I slowed down for a minute, I was really shocked and wished I would have paid more attention to the comment.

After I let the thought sit and fester I started asking myself why someone would be offended or angry by Black women with Natural hair being used in commercials.   

Could it be some relaxed women are feeling the media thinks all Black women are Natural?  

Could it be some Naturals feel these are merely marketing ploys to get Naturals to buy their products?  

Are these just some Black woman who find the 'ethnic' or Natural look embarrassing? 

Not a clue but I thought it would be interesting to give my take on them.  

When I really noticed Natural hair was being shown in commericals I was still relaxed.  I was shocked to see it but I found it cool, new and ground-breaking. It was right up there with Aunt Jemima getting a perm.  Hey, don't judge me but I was loving to see that woman without her head rag on that bottle any more.  

I also remember, after a while, that it was catching on and at first...AT FIRST... I felt it was a marketing ploy from the major corporations saying....'hey black folks, we see you and we want you to KNOW we see you.' I didn't care what their reasons were.  I was more happy with the fact we were out there and we weren't all wearing weaves down to our asses.  So maybe they were trying to hook us into buying their product but isn't that the whole purpose of commericals?? 

http://www.dove.us/

If you are as old as me (or older) you remember when you didn't hardly see ANY black women in commericals at all!  I mean our dollars weren't considered and we were all but shut out in the media.  Now, if you watched Soul Train you did see commercials geared specifically to us.  We were dancing and smiling to the counter of McDonald's as well as us dancing and shaking our hair in the mirror for hair ads.....BLACK hair ads.  We were so damn proud of those ads weren't we?

Well, now we're out there selling everything from diapers to diamonds.  We've made it!  Now, can we stop critiquing what and why we are out there?  I'm personally very happy to see more Natural haired actors and actresses selling products and not just because I'm natural.  It's because we are a very diverse people and the media should be expressing that.  

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill or maybe you've seen or heard others saying the same thing.  I'd just love to know why the anger is there. I'd also love to know what you think of all the Naturals in commercials and if you had a DIFFERENT take on them before you were Natural.

Take care Naturals,
Sabrina  
Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:24pm
what?
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

what?
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:29pm
I found this question interesting.  I also remember when their were no black women in commercials.  When the Mowry twins were the only "representation of me" on television.  I can't say that I feel one way or the other about it.  I still mainly see LS women with 3c at the kinkiest hair.  Being DS and loc'd I can honestly say I've given up on any hope of my reflection looking back at me through any type of advertisement, music video, television show etc.  Seems we can only be raunchy stand up comics Wacko
That said, I get happy about whatever black women get.  I have noticed a large surge in the number of naturals in advertising and am curious to know what others think about it if you think anything at all.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:30pm
she wrote all that based on something she not sure but she may have kinda read some where once

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:32pm
Sounds like the blog post was created to stir up controversy and web hits. I am 40 yrs and grew up in the 70s & 80s in a time where black people were in every magazine in national advertisements with unrelaxed afros, braids, afro puffs and this blog post is bullshyt.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:36pm
From what I can remember, natural hair was basically all you saw on commercials and mainstream (not black) television unless it was a hair ad aimed specifically at black women. I did notice it back then but I can't say it peeved me or inspired me. That was pretty much the only place I saw natural hair. I told my hairdresser, "You ever notice all the women on tv and in commercials have afros or curly hair? (I probably didn't even refer to it as natural back then) and she said, "You know they don't want us lookin too much like them." And we laughed about it. I personally think white people just like that style of hair, no more, no less. I still think it's rare to see truly kinky hair even in a natural hair commercial. I was just remarking the other day it's not often you see hair like this in a commercial. 

I respect them for this shyt right here (notwithstanding the anti-shrinkage gimmick) and I bought the line to show it.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:36pm
I hope y'all not gon pretend some people really don't like looking at it...
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:39pm
i just don't understand it...

i was just looking at that dark and lovely add does it seem like 2 out of the 3 models are bi-racial? so the brownest one has like a twist out then ?

Edited by naturesgift - Apr 19 2014 at 9:09pm
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:40pm
I feel the same way about it as I do a bad weave.  A lot of the time if someone is wearing a weave, you know they are.  So why not wear a believable one?  That's how I feel about the natural advertisements.  Like the uncombed afro is the only natural hair style we can rock.  Yes, that's an option but I rarely see styled natural hair.  I don't get that part.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic