BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Natural hair advertising...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural hair advertising...
    Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 2:47am
The way natural hair products are marketed and advertised really turns me off. I appreciate that there is a big boom in products for black natural hair but I feel like it's marketed only to people with looser hair textures. 

All the major brands--Kinky-Curly, Mixed chicks, Miss Jessie's, Curls, and Jane Carter Solution, to name a few, are all either created by or for those with type 2 or 3 hair, or use models of this hair type in the advertising, even though they are the minority. Why do you think this is? If this isn't your hair type, does this turn you off from purchasing these products? 

(Move it, sure, I don't care)
Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 2:57am
in general, i don't pay attn to people who are natural or products geared twd natural hair unless their head looks similar to this in texture:

i love Angela Yee and all but seeing her on a billboard for Jessie's is not going to make me use that product.  her hair and my hair are not going to behave the same.  I like to see ppl with my texture using the product so I know what my end result will be.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 2:58am
Yeah it is strange.. at least Mixed Chicks is direct about who their products are for 
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 3:01am
I just ordered some wefts like in that second pic. I hope they will be true to the pic I provided.
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 3:42am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

in general, i don't pay attn to people who are natural or products geared twd natural hair unless their head looks similar to this in texture:

i love Angela Yee and all but seeing her on a billboard for Jessie's is not going to make me use that product.  her hair and my hair are not going to behave the same.  I like to see ppl with my texture using the product so I know what my end result will be.

My hair is just like this texture.
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Yeah it is strange.. at least Mixed Chicks is direct about who their products are for 

Exactly. When kinky curly came out everyone was buying it, and I tried some from my mom. It did nothing for my hair.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (23) Thanks(23)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 4:03am
It is because many black people still have an issue with tightly coily hair. So when the companies advertise they want to have appealing models advertise their products. Models with the texture many black folks still refer to as "good hair".  They know that subconsciously most black folks do not want to see what some consider to be tightly coily, nappy , kinky hair on a billboard. Some people want to believe so badly that their hair will become like the models hair on the box if I just use that product. Yes many of us have truly come a long way in terms of accepting our coils, but there are still a large portion of folks that still desire to relax that coil and make it so called more manageable......Even when you watch some youtube naturals  with tightly coily hair create a style, folks always feel a need to lay those edges down. I rarely try to slick my edges down, my hair does not lay down it is tightly coily, I smooth it with my fingers and let it be. Women will quickly comment, "She knows she need to brush them edges" Really? Why must I slick my edges down, my hair is natural and coily so I let it be. People make the same comments about celebrities black kids, if their hair is separating due to its coily texture. People will quickly say, they need to comb that child's hair. Well it is combed its natural. Why try to slick it down like white folks? This may seem like a small thing however this contributes towards our mindset about dealing with our tightly coily hair. Most are not really "Happy to be Nappy" although they will wear the t-shirt. Now there are some evolved black folks that no matter their coil pattern will rock it, but not enough.......When I purchase a product, it is mostly because of particular ingredients and what the product claims to do. I will admit that a artistic drawing or a cartoon picture would be better to sell a product, because if I see a woman with type 3 hair on the box, unless someone referred me to the product, I would not buy the product. So the models do make a difference, imo.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 4:09am
I just want a big afro like Angela Davis had but as it dries it shrinksCry

Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Lilnicka4u2nv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 4:11am
    I actually feel like we have ALOT more products marketed towards kinkier hair types than just 6 years ago, all it takes is some research beyond the "mainstream" lines, there are literally hundreds of natural lines out there now. However, "they" (the mainstream) are and always were banking on insecurities of women with kinkier hair textures, and new naturals are especially the easy targets...

"Turns kinks into curls"
"Natural Relaxer"

And now lines are becoming more familiar with "natural hair lingo"

This left a bad taste in my mouth

Anti- Shrinkage? Really Dark n Lovely?

With the wave of naturals increasing year by year, I feel like it is imperative for women of color to become smarter consumers, learn your ingredients...We can't have them fooling us anymore, as a chem nerd I cant stress this enough...Understand that marketing is all about making a product appealing, and companies will label a product based on what they know will draw people in...Alot of companies blatantly insult your common sense with their claims, and sadly alot of women fall for it...This applies to everything, from the food you eat to the clothes you wear.

Edited by Lilnicka4u2nv - Mar 01 2013 at 4:15am
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Lilnicka4u2nv Lilnicka4u2nv wrote:

I actually feel like we have ALOT more products marketed towards kinkier hair types than just 6 years ago, all it takes is some research beyond the "mainstream" lines, there are literally hundreds of natural lines out there now. However, "they" are and always were banking on insecurities of women with kinkier hair textures, and new naturals are especially the easy targets...

"Turns kinks into curls"
"Natural Relaxer"

And now lines are becoming more familiar with "natural hair lingo"

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">This left a bad taste in my mouth</span>

<i style="line-height: 1.4;">Anti- Shrinkage<span style="line-height: 1.4;">? Really Dark n Lovely?</span>

With the wave of naturals increasing year by year, I feel like it is imperative for women of color to become smarter consumers, learn your ingredients...We can't have them fooling us anymore...Understand that marketing is all about making a product appealing, and companies will label a product based on what they know will draw people in...Alot of companies blatantly insult your common sense with their claims, and sadly alot of women fall for it...This applies to everything, from the food you eat to the clothes you wear.

When did u get back!!!! everyone including me was asking for u
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style