BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Nappy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nappy
    Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:15am
do you use the word to describe your hair or others?  if not what alternative do you use?

if you're fine with it, how do you feel about other races referring to your hair as nappy?

Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:20am
I call my hair curly....and nappy doesnt bother me unless its used to insult....
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:21am
Yes I use nappy and kinky. Of course another race can not call my hair nappy

Edited by jonesable - Jul 26 2013 at 8:25am
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:23am
I don't use the word nappy.  Mainly because I feel there's a negative association among black people.  My hair IS nappy but that's not a bad thing (to me) so instead I say my curls are tight or something like that.  I don't often speak to my texture or curl pattern at all.  I simply say my hair.  If someone else called my hair nappy I'm not really sure how I would react.  Probably surprised and ask, "What makes you say that?"  And regardless of what they answered, "Hmmm....." and walk away. 
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:32am
im having this crazy battle going on in my head because every time i try to have this conversation with myself my mind wont allow me to have it and i become distracted.
dijah.love View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dijah.love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:41am
I call my hair nappy.

A white person would get the side eye.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:45am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

im having this crazy battle going on in my head because every time i try to have this conversation with myself my mind wont allow me to have it and i become distracted.

Hug

I remember this well and all I can say is I congratulate myself all the time for being over 40 because I finally could care less what not what damn anybody says about me.   Its shocking because when you're young and very self aware, overly critical of yourself, stressed about what people are going to "think" you have to exhaust yourself keeping those doubts under control and looking like you got this while the battle rages in your head.  So it is such a nice surprise to feel this free because I used to be so stressed trying to step right.  I wish a bish would try to define this for me now. 

Be a trailblazer hun, go with what feels good and make them follow your lead.   I wish I had done that with my hair journey specifically a long time ago.  Maybe be that way about anything that is attached to your body at leastLOL

Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:51am
Nappy or kinky
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:57am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Hug

I remember this well and all I can say is I congratulate myself all the time for being over 40 because I finally could care less what not what damn anybody says about me.   Its shocking because when you're young and very self aware, overly critical of yourself, stressed about what people are going to "think" you have to exhaust yourself keeping those doubts under control and looking like you got this while the battle rages in your head.  So it is such a nice surprise to feel this free because I used to be so stressed trying to step right.  I wish a bish would try to define this for me now. 

Be a trailblazer hun, go with what feels good and make them follow your lead.   I wish I had done that with my hair journey specifically a long time ago.  Maybe be that way about anything that is attached to your body at leastLOL

thanx Kfoxx but this really isnt about my hair.  ive never had hair issues.  this is more of a semantic issue and the use words designed to oppress.
Anah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 9:02am
Nappy in my mind means tangled, hard to manage void of a real noticeable curl pattern. Needing moisture usually. My hair is curly but can appear and be nappy at times. It's those moments that I refer to it as such. Generally tho, I'd say there is a negative connotation behind it so I don't use it in reference to others.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic