FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedNape Area Breakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
kjeneen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nape Area Breakage
    Posted: Mar 14 2008 at 12:58pm

After almost 2 years of straight progress, it all ended with my nape area breaking completely off.  I watched my hair transform from a short, overprocessed croif to a chin length, healthy mane, then ....SNAP!!!  it brok completely off at the nape.

Thinking back, I do see where stress may have been a culprit because I just started back to school last Fall, but none of that changes my disappointmentCry.

Now, during the summer when i was suppose to be rocking my full APL, instead I'm rocking crumby weavesCryCry.

Sponsored Links

slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2008 at 7:50pm
Sorry to hear that. I've been using Dr. Miracles Nape and Edge balm and it is really good. In less than a month I have started seeing results.
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2008 at 7:59pm
Are you wearing your scarf at night?  I got nape breakage and realized it was from tieing the scarf to tightly at the back.  I know tight the scarf in the front.  
mobettablues View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2008 at 4:28pm
Through research I have found that the cause of that breakage is from over processing. It has been said that the hair at the nape doesn't normally grow as fast as the rest of our hair therefore when we relax it, we aren't relaxing new growth we are re-relaxing the hair. As a result of the overprocessing, it breaks off and if some of us find a mirror and look back there, it is completely gone.

Now none of us want nappy "kitchens", so when someone finds a remedy, let me know.
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 8:10am
Originally posted by mobettablues mobettablues wrote:

Through research I have found that the cause of that breakage is from over processing. It has been said that the hair at the nape doesn't normally grow as fast as the rest of our hair therefore when we relax it, we aren't relaxing new growth we are re-relaxing the hair. As a result of the overprocessing, it breaks off and if some of us find a mirror and look back there, it is completely gone.

Now none of us want nappy "kitchens", so when someone finds a remedy, let me know.

Interesting theory for those relaxed ladies, but what about those natural ladies?

kjeneen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 8:38am
Originally posted by mobettablues mobettablues wrote:

That is very knowledgeable and makes perfect sense, but I am happily-nappy and the ONLY thing that worked for me was prescription from my dermatologist called Betamethasone.  It is a topical steriod that filled in my nape and temples within 10 days.  I was shockedShocked.

I am due to continue the treatments of lightly appliying it 5 days per week for another 2 weeks before going back to the Derm for my post-visit.  At which time, I plan to ask her if I need to continue or if I can go back to my normal regimen of no heat, and loose braiding.

In hindsight, i see that my problem could've been a number of things including:

* Too much pulling from braids
* Too much pulling from combs in the back of my falls/half wigs
* Too much sulphur in my growth aid

As a result, I will start wearing my half wigs withouth using the combs and restrict the use of my sulphur mix to the top and sides of my scalp as well as dillute the concentration more.
newcurlygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 10:11am
my nape is fragile also. also the friction from collars Angry really gets my nape riled up, tangled and broken off. Cry My nape extends pretty low so unless I've got on a backless outfit I'm pretty much rubbing every time I have on clothes. Also the friction rubs my nape hair into knot balls requiring cutting. 
cutescorpio View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 11:26am
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My relaxer, ponytails and thyroid problems have caused me to be just about bald in the back. My hair was growing so well tooCry

Edited by cutescorpio - Mar 20 2008 at 11:27am
ms.sashay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 1:29pm

I feel your pain ladies. After almost two years of growth, I lost my nape hair also. My stylist assessed my hair and determined that is was still healthy and that I don't need to cut it, but I can see through my hair which is so discouraging. My plans were to get a sew in for the summer but  it looks like I'll be pushing that up to spring. There is still hope....blessing to all of u....we can do this!

StarryEyedStar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2008 at 9:36am
Hi Ladies,

I'm a newbie and I recently got a net weave. Prior to getting the weave I had a full nape of hair after removing the net weave my nape is completely broken off. Luckily I have enough hair to cover my nape area but I think that net contributed to my breakage. I think I'll give the dr. mircales a try. Can anyone recomend a brand of sulfur that may work as well?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic