Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Naomi calls out Victoria B over lack of black mode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Naomi calls out Victoria B over lack of black mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naomi calls out Victoria B over lack of black mode
    Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 7:38am
I noticed VB did not have a good mix in all those shows she just showcased. Cow bag

Naomi Campbell: I had no fear of upsetting Victoria Beckham over model race row

Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 7:47am
I don't get bw who are into posh becks

I just don't ..
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 7:50am
Afro, I don't either.  Highly overrated.
Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 7:54am
F*ck em. We really need to focus on owning our own sh*t and stop depending on other races to acknowledge and respect us.
GG View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:03am
Dead @ The United Colors Of Benetton shade. People really feel some type of way about them being all inclusive.

Edited by GG - Oct 30 2013 at 8:03am
honeydrop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote honeydrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

F*ck em. We really need to focus on owning our own sh*t and stop depending on other races to acknowledge and respect us.

This. but on the flip side it seems we are very inclusive of other races when we are the owners and then sell out and we are now excluded and the cycle happens all over.

Edited by honeydrop - Oct 30 2013 at 8:05am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:07am

People will jump onto this bandwagon for a second then go back to their high fashion labels in a second.

But the thing is most people will shun black labels and use high end fashion houses to differentiate themselves from "basic bitches"

This is why black houses have such a hard time .. Black consumers have a severe inferiority complex .. Cue jay z here for example and would use their association with things that are not often patronised by black folk as a class and status symbol.
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:16am
I know what you mean Afro.

Here is the letter sent out

The moment has arrived -- Bethann Hardison has finally launched her attack against fashion's glaring diversity problem. The fashion insider-cum-activist and former model, on behalf of The Diversity Coalition, sent out four letters on Thursday to the governing bodies of Fashion Weeks in New York (Council of Fashion Designers of America), Paris (Fédération Française de la Couture), London (British Fashion Council) and Milan (Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana) accusing racism on the runways.

The brief yet powerful letter reads:

Eyes are on an industry that season after season watches design houses consistently use one or no models of color. No matter the intention, the result is racism. Not accepting another based on the color of their skin is clearly beyond ‘aesthetic’ when it is consistent with the designer’s brand. Whether it’s the decision of the designer, stylist or casting director, that decision to use basically all white models, reveals a trait that is unbecoming to modern society. It can no longer be accepted, nor confused by the use of the Asian model.

At the end of the letter, Hardison includes a list of "fashion houses guilty of this racist act” based on last season's shows in each respective city. The roster of alleged offenders reads like a who's who of fashion's top designers and brands-- Donna Karan, Versace, Céline, Louis Vuitton, Alexander McQueen, Calvin Klein, BCBG, Prada and Chanel, just to name a few.

"This way there's no hiding," Hardison told The Huffington Post. "If you say who, then nobody can say, 'This has nothing to do with me.'"

"I'm trying to educate those with a careless attitude or [who] just don't care. But you have to care. This is a responsibility to many." she said

Hardison has dedicated a great deal of her career to combating ignorance. In 2007 and 2008 she attempted to inspire change in fashion's disregard for diversity with a series of town hall meetings. One of the results of those events was the inspiration behind Vogue Italia's "Black Issue" in 2008, which featured all black models.

Although Hardison said she thought the Vogue issue was a powerful representation of black beauty, she believes dedicating a show or issue to all black models is offensive -- and not a solution.

"Please don't give me an all black show," Hardison said. "This is about diversity -- all nationalities, races, colors and skin tones being equally represented."

So far, responses to the letter have been mixed.

The CFDA’s Steven Kolb told WWD that he discussed the letter with the group’s president, Diane von Furstenberg, and that they have pushed for and will continue to encourage diversity among their members. In fact, Kolb says the CFDA has sent two e-mails over the past two weeks urging its industry contacts and designers to be vigilant regarding the issue.

The British Fashion Council told Vogue UK that while it does not oversee model castings, it is "committed to model welfare and is more than happy to engage in tackling any issues regarding best practice and diversity at London Fashion Week."

Didier Grumbach, president of Chambre Syndicale in France, deemed the letter's call to action "unreasonable" and assured Vogue UK that the upcoming Paris Fashion Week will represent a wide variety of ethnicities. And last but not least, Mario Boselli of Camera said designers taking part in Milan Fashion Week have "complete freedom" in selecting their models. And while they encourage diversity they will not "impose" their power to achieve it.

As the fashion designers themselves start to weigh in on the letter, Hardison said she isn't concerned about any backlash or anger directed her way.

"While some of them might be annoyed or uncomfortable, I have a great deal of respect for these designers," Hardison said. "I think they are good people, and just not understanding what this is -- what their practice has been."

And lest you believe the fight is over -- think again. Hardison didn't offer any details on her next steps, but she left no question as to whether this is the end of her battle.

"This is just round one. There's more."

Click HERE to read all four letters sent out by Hardison and The Diversity Coalition, and let us know what you think about the issue in the comments section.

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:44am

Bottom Line.

I have fantasies of fashion week with nothing but black folks, black couture and high powered, moneyed black folks that support and purchase heavily and white folks screaming reverse racism because black dollars are going towards black fashion houses, models, photographers, make up artists..everything.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:58am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

People will jump onto this bandwagon for a second then go back to their high fashion labels in a second.

But the thing is most people will shun black labels and use high end fashion houses to differentiate themselves from "basic bitches"

This is why black houses have such a hard time .. Black consumers have a severe inferiority complex .. Cue jay z here for example and would use their association with things that are not often patronised by black folk as a class and status symbol.

Afro...u beat me.  I believe I said some of what u said the last coupla times we've had this convo on The BHM.  If for some reason we actually did turn around and shun white high end products. Media will then spin "black couture" as a trend, get some white folks to wear it on red carpets for a season then it's back to business as usual.  Once white folks stop wearing it and Vogue declares it last season black folks will slide back into supporting white high end products.  Then you got some black folks that no matter what they will support white rather than black. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>