Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NAACP Opposes NYC Soda Ban w/Coca-Cola Funded...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

NAACP Opposes NYC Soda Ban w/Coca-Cola Funded...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

midwest.. all u do is scream n shout.
where are the threads where you showcase what you actually do?

you remind me of this one guy.. who was so "in the know about everything"

ol' refusing to buy colgate..chew stick to clean his teeth ol' bastard i knew.

Talked about how corrupt the world was.. etc etc.
but did nothing but stay in his mama's house and play on the computer all day.

like.. either do something or shuddup.

Midwest's Dewey Jenkins ass always preaches for action and reform sitting down.

Sponsored Links

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:15pm
The latest in a line of healthy-eating initiatives during Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration, the beverage rule bars restaurants and many other eateries from selling high-sugar drinks in cups or containers bigger than 16 ounces. Violations could bring $200 fines; the city doesn’t plan to start imposing those until June.

Which doesn't stop anyone from drinking more than 16 ozs of liquid diabetes, it just forces them to get off their ass and walk to the counter/soda machine for the free refill OR buy another cup.

Bloomers nem meant well with this legislation, but they executed it pitifully.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by lanae lanae wrote:

Soda bans have been proven not to work. They just replace the banned products with equally sugary and nutrient deficient juices made by the same companies. In the end, Pepsi, Coca Cola etc. won't lose much money as long as they have their fruitopia and minute maid poisons on the shelf. There should be better education initiatives instead. Ppl need to learn that soda is an occasional treat, but its no substitute for water.

This is not a generic soda ban that NYC is proposing. It is a ban on oversized drinks being sold when bigger than 16oz. If a store wants to sell one bigger than 16oz, they need to be prepared to pay a fine.

As a point of reference, most bottles of soda are 16oz. The medium sized drink from Mc'D's is 16oz.

So it makes the NAACP's claims of disproportionately affecting minorities sound even more ignorant.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

this is a dumb ban. 

why don't they attempt to try to give more money to fund things like actual grocery stores in urban areas? or nutrition courses? 

bc those get to the root of the problem and make senseSleepy
hate politics

I can't speak to other cities, but in NYC, try to find a grocery store that DOESN'T sell fresh fruits and veggies?! I live in a west indian/hispanic neighborhood, and of the 4 grocery stores that are within walking distance of my apt building, ALL of them have pretty decent sized produce departments. So, even when the NYC NAACP leader Hazel Dukes said she has places in Harlem with no produce departments, I'm side eyeing her.

NYC has a ton of ethnicities - people recently relocated from their home countries. So, pretty much every grocery store in our city ESPECIALLY the ones in urban areas have very big produce departments, often carrying ethno-centric fruits & veggies.

IMO the NYC health initiatives are being aimed at QSRs that have little nutritional values. Most bodegas & delis I visit don't sell fountain drinks, everything is bottled.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:32pm
New Yorkers don't want to be told what to drink but they want more Precious-sized kids out there?
Xamaycana View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xamaycana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:49am
NAACP should be ashamed of themselves.  Considering the rate of diabetes in the black community , does anyone need to drink more than 16oz of sugar water in one sitting?  The ban would force people to consciously seek out the additional 16ozs rather than just mindlessly gulping down 30+ ozs.  Not to mention that most of these sodas aren't even sweetened with sugar, but with corn syrup.

It might be able to stand up, since it does not stop the individual from consuming as much soda as they want, it just prevents mindless consumption.

Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:46am
This is disgraceful and embarrassing. They actually don't see how this can IMPROVE & save lives? Really???
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

I don't think this ban should go through it will be the start of more to come...if folks don't have self control that's on them
Herein lies the problem. Personal accountability has almost all but disappeared now-a-days.

if that's the case, then everything should be legal.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

this is a dumb ban. 

why don't they attempt to try to give more money to fund things like actual grocery stores in urban areas? or nutrition courses? 

bc those get to the root of the problem and make senseSleepy
hate politics

I can't speak to other cities, but in NYC, try to find a grocery store that DOESN'T sell fresh fruits and veggies?! I live in a west indian/hispanic neighborhood, and of the 4 grocery stores that are within walking distance of my apt building, ALL of them have pretty decent sized produce departments. So, even when the NYC NAACP leader Hazel Dukes said she has places in Harlem with no produce departments, I'm side eyeing her.

NYC has a ton of ethnicities - people recently relocated from their home countries. So, pretty much every grocery store in our city ESPECIALLY the ones in urban areas have very big produce departments, often carrying ethno-centric fruits & veggies.

IMO the NYC health initiatives are being aimed at QSRs that have little nutritional values. Most bodegas & delis I visit don't sell fountain drinks, everything is bottled.

there is produce in black neighborhoods but it damn sure ain't fresh...maybe it's different when u go to african or west indian neighborhoods but african american ones?  nah...and all of the food is processed and limited brands.  for example, this one african american community where i'm from fought for a fresh produce and real supermarket for YEARS...they finally got a Fresh & Easy(think whole foods junior) when they started developing condos...condos which yts moved into.  now that they are on a full scale to gentrification they're building a Whole Foods.
beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 8:35pm
this reminds me if how the war on drugs targets users and dealers... aka the low end on the totem poll.
instead if focusing energy time money etc on stopping that sh*t from entering the country.

the problem is high fructose corn syrup. not the size of the drinks.
this bill is an empty gesture. smoke and mirrors.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>