Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My sides just wont grow!
    Posted: Jul 20 2008 at 12:16pm

I don't know what else to do. I transitioned because my edges were balding, hoping to save my hair in the process. I'm completely natural now. Although the rest of my hair has grown quite a bit with the tips I applied from this forum (daily moisturizing, shampooing and conditioning once a week, balance with moisture and protein, mixing jojoba and castor oil in my deep moisturizing treatments, rogaine on the thinning areas), my sides remain about 2 inches compared to the rest of my head that keeps growing monthly. I notice that they keep going back and forth between bald spots and fuzz. I'll make some progress and then 2 weeks or so later, the spots will reappear on both sides. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I only treat my sides differently than the rest of my hair in the sense that I keep them out of my cornrows because they're too short there (I've been wearing a wig for the past few months - I sewed a satin cap to avoid friction). I moisturize them more also and I've been doing Rogaine there for about 8 months. Is the area damaged beyond repair? Why is it going back and forth between growth and thinning? Is this happening with anyone else?

Sponsored Links

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2008 at 9:41pm
Not fully sure but could the wigs front edges be rubbing on your edges?  Not sure if you meant a full or half wig for 8 months?

You mentioned keeping them out of your cornrolls.  Sounds like they may need some time alone.  They may need pampering with no manipulation.
Miss ViVi View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2008 at 8:06pm
I would give your edges a break all together from the wigs..constant friction isn't a good thing...Or you can try a half wig..I my edges are thin and I would occasionally wear one, but I would leave none of my hair out but make sure its not resting completely on my edges and I'd wear it with a headband and it gives my hair a lil break
How do you sleep with your hair? Do you use a satin cap/scarf or sleep on a satin pillow? I've noticed that when I sleep with a satin scarf or pillow case that less of my edges have come out and for me the area around my head, in which touches the pillow when I lay down is theres thin as well...And as for the rogaine, do you constantly use it? I used to use it and for me @ times when I stopped using it because I ran out of it or whatever reason, the new-growth didn't last long (I've heard that for you to keep whatever hair you've grown using rogaine, you have to keep using it in order to keep the hair grown from it, but I could be wrong)
prblackchica1 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2008 at 10:49pm
it could be the rogaine, if you stop using it your growth will go away, stop using it all together and do it like you would do the rest of your hair. Has it been like that for years? If so it could be traction alopecia
treatlove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 9:36am
moisturize it more and scratch anytime u get the chance.
simjam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 9:42am
Ive read here of several aldies using cayanne pepper or peppermint oil to grow back edges.

my edges arnt the best, but they have improved much with extra conditioner and castor oil.
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 10:08pm
Thing is, I don't know how to style my hair. I'd been wearing the wig in the hopes that my edges would have recovered by now (it's been months!) and that I could take it off and do braid-outs. It's all natural but there's a real difference in length with the sides so I don't know how to wear my hair and make it look decent. Didn't want to do individual braids to avoid pulling. I thought the satin cap would help with the friction. Maybe not...

As for the Rogaine, I haven't stopped using it since I started, so I know that's not the reason why my hair keeps going back and forth like that. Anyway, I have two more vials (one month each), after which, I'm done.
Then, maybe I'll look into the peppermint oil.

I'm really disappointed. I went through the trouble of transitioning in the hopes that it would fix the problem and it hasn't...
Thanks for all your input.

Edited by NinaS - Jul 22 2008 at 10:14pm
selah21740 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2008 at 1:32am
Is it possible that you have alopecia? are you stressed? A good friend of mine has alopecia, and her stylist massages her head, which helps stimulate the scalp and thus grow the hair. So perhaps the massages would help. HTH and good luck!!!
Englishh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2008 at 9:27am
I have the exact same problem, I wore a wig for an entire year to assist me in transforming my over processed damaged hair, my hair is now the longest and healthiest it has ever been, but I have no clue what is going on with my edges, (temple area) I thought it was from the chemicals but I have not had a relaxer in a year and a half. My edges would fill in and in a matter of days they would be gone, then they would grow back and then disappear again, I have tried everything castor oil, coconut oil, and cayenne pepper mix to name a few, nothing seems to work..........it will grow and just fall right back out.
queenalltime View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2008 at 4:16pm
 i just use nigellelx hair nourishment today and i'm very pleased with the results!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic