Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Skin Care > Dark Spots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

MY JOURNEY TO BETTER SKIN CARE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 1:45am
So, it's been about 11-days since I started using the RA/HQ, and I must say that I am quite impressed with the results so far. My upper arms and elbows are really improving. Minor flaking on my face which is hardly noticeable, but of course I cannot look at my face unless it's in a 10x magnifying mirror .
My skin is tolerating the RA well, so next week I will try using it daily, rather than every other day.

Sponsored Links

OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

Hi OhMyCurlz; Thanks for the suggestions. Suggestions and feedback is always welcome since we can always learn from each other. Thank You!

I considered the Green Peel but did not want to spend too much money removing a permatan. I decided on LA since I can use it for the Peels, and also in my lotion. Plus..It last a good long time

I have heard wonderful things about Green & Yellow Peeling Oils, and will definitely give it a go when my LA runs out. Hopefully my permatan will fully gone by then.
Did you do it only once ?? Are you also removing a permatan or brightening

Looking forward starting RA/HQ 03/01. I need the next few days off Acids.

Brightening. Actually I don't really know what I'm doing, I just want clear skin!..lol. 

I did the GP once, very strong. YOu apply three times every day for 3 days and on the third day you peel. And when you peel....you peel in sheets. I only bought an ounce to try on my face. I follow the skincaretalk forum so what I'm going to do is occlude with LA lotion on my body with regular exfoliation along with my carowhite and do a Maxipeel which is cheaper and I believe less strong. Well, I'm battling doing that or using the gpo on my body and using lactic acid and maxiwhite on my face. Yellow peeling oil works faster than green but it burned my sis and made my mom's skin REALLY light. Her skin was also very sensitive. 

I mix skin lightening peptide in my carowhite cream + oil mix and I like how it makes my skin feel toned. 
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

Hi OhMyCurlz; Thanks for the suggestions. Suggestions and feedback is always welcome since we can always learn from each other. Thank You!

I considered the Green Peel but did not want to spend too much money removing a permatan. I decided on LA since I can use it for the Peels, and also in my lotion. Plus..It last a good long time

I have heard wonderful things about Green & Yellow Peeling Oils, and will definitely give it a go when my LA runs out. Hopefully my permatan will fully gone by then.
Did you do it only once ?? Are you also removing a permatan or brightening

Looking forward starting RA/HQ 03/01. I need the next few days off Acids.

Brightening. Actually I don't really know what I'm doing, I just want clear skin!..lol. 

I did the GP once, very strong. YOu apply three times every day for 3 days and on the third day you peel. And when you peel....you peel in sheets. I only bought an ounce to try on my face. I follow the skincaretalk forum so what I'm going to do is occlude with LA lotion on my body with regular exfoliation along with my carowhite and do a Maxipeel which is cheaper and I believe less strong. Well, I'm battling doing that or using the gpo on my body and using lactic acid and maxiwhite on my face. Yellow peeling oil works faster than green but it burned my sis and made my mom's skin REALLY light. Her skin was also very sensitive. 

I mix skin lightening peptide in my carowhite cream + oil mix and I like how it makes my skin feel toned. 

I really understand the even-toning. Discoloration looks so unappealing, at least in my eyes. What %-age of LA will you be using ? I have a mental pic of someone wrapped in bubble wrap

I also visit SCT. Very knowledgable folks there

Good Luck. I will follow your progress
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 2:19pm
So, It's been 2-week since I've been tinkering with RA. I have had minor flaking on the lower part of my face, and that is with buffering, then using every other day.
Last night I decided to try using RA unbuffered, then maybe use it nightly. Well, this morning I had major peeling around my mouth, chin and neck. After a.m care and moisturizing, there was no visible peeling. Hopefully it will stay that way. A lot of people state that their show signs of peeling continually. My peeling was in large pieces which I did not manually remove. Don't want PIH

I am finally going to DIY Zinc Oxide Sunblock 20% today. That should be effective enough since I do not expose myself to direct sun. I also want to ensure there is not that whiteness from the Zinc.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 11:00pm
So I did the ZnO, not sure I like it yet. Definitely could not put it back into the lotion bottle. That stuff thickened up. Kinda dry, added a little Almond Oil, and some CO. Maybe after setting overnight it will bloom into something I will love. Dreams can come through . The upside is, I only have to apply it to exposed areas, not my face though, and I can apply an oil to my skin first.

Doing RA only on my face again tonight because my face remained peel/flake free all day. We shall see what happens tomorrow.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 1:32pm
So here's the thing. My Sunblock this morning was creamier. Still dry on application. As for the whitish hue....On my arms it just appears matte. However, on my legs the hue is slightly noticeable. Something I can live with. Looks like I am wearing hose. This I will save for when I go out, and a cheapo store bought for at-home use. This stuff comes from Taiwan !!! My next DIY sunblock, I will try using CO to offset the dryness.

I did a LA peel (60%) to the lower body, and soles of the feet last night. Left it on for approx 15 mins. Very tolerable, washed it off due to boredom

All in all, I am becoming less apprehensive about doing my DIY for skin care. This is not a good thing . I could go rogue .

This morning my face showed no noticeable effects from RA. A little flaking under the chin. Will approach the nightly application with caution, and back off if it becomes problematic.
My next order will most likely be RA 0.1%. That won't be for a few months though.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 8:01pm
Oh my . It took a few days, but my neck has finally started to rebel against the RA. It has always been super sensitive .
Anyway, last night I started using the RA Gel 0.05% on my face to see which formula I preferred. I love the spreadability of the Gel, I do not need to use as much as the cream, but it is geared toward oily skin. My skin is normal, occasionally it behaves as combination skin.
Minor peeling at the nose, pores are much less visible.
Using LA lotion on the rest of my body again.
Elbows continue to lighten, it is slight, but I notice

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 9:04pm
Retinoids: Gel vs. Cream
from Skinacea.com

The difference between gel and cream retinoid formulations
Most retinoid products come in gel or cream formulations or both. Which base is best for you depends on your skin..

Generally, if you are using retinoids for acne, gels are the preferred choice. They are less emollient and therefore aren't as pore clogging, which can be a life-saver for those with very clog-prone and congested skin. Gels also enhance penetration, making the retinoid stronger and more effective. However, as a trade off, gels tend to cause more irritation and dryness-related side effects..

Creams may be better choices for those with dry and/or sensitive skin. Their emollient base makes them less penetrating than gels, but they are usually less irritating as a result. Cream-based retinoids are also perfect as anti-aging products. However, the cream vehicle, usually oily, can be problematic for those with acne prone or finicky skin..

In terms of retinoid strength, gels tend to be stronger than creams because they enhance penetration whereas the oils in cream bases act as slight buffers. Alcohol-based gels are stronger than water-based gels, which in turn are stronger than cream-based retinoids..

So which one is better, gel or cream retinoid treatments?.

The answer is: you won't really know which base is best for your skin until you try them out. If you find the gel version to be too drying or too irritating, then switch to the cream. If the cream gives you clogged pores, then see if the gel makes things a bit better. If the cream gives you clogged pores but the gel makes your skin too dry, you can always use a moisturizer to buffer its effects..

Whichever formulation you choose to use, it's absolutely essential that you know how to use retinoids the right way. Learning proper application will help reduce irritation and redness and ensure that you get the maximum results from your retinoid.

NOTE: Sometimes, retinoids in the gel form actually look like creams because they are white in texture and not translucent like most of us imagine gel products to be. So if you get Differin gel and it looks like it's a cream, don't fret! Retinoid gels tend to have an opaque, lotion-like quality and be lighter feeling than cream formulations..

Gel and cream retinoids can both be effective, but which vehicle of retinoid suits your skin best will depend on what your skin likes. Now that you understand the difference between gels and creams, learn about the difference between natural and synthetic retinoids and differentiate amongst the various brands and types of retinoids and how they vary in strength and effectiveness.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 9:09pm
Natural vs. Synthetic Retinoids
Skinacea.com

The difference between natural and synthetic retinoids

As if there weren't enough differences amongst the types of retinoids, a distinction exists between natural and synthetic ones as well..

Natural retinoids are naturally occurring and derived from Vitamin A, while synthetic retinoids (a.k.a. retinoid analogues) are not. Synthetic retinoids act like natural retinoids, but they are not the same thing. Both, however, activate RARs (retinoic acid receptors) in your skin. This activation is important because it's basically how retinoids work to trigger favorable skin responses. (For further details about retinoids and RARs, go here.) The process of activating RARs is a big part of what makes natural and synthetic retinoids different..

Natural retinoids, like tretinoin, activate all of your skin's RARs, while synthetic retinoids activate a targeted selection. Because natural and synthetic retinoids activate different RARs in your skin, the effects are different even though they are both retinoids..

You might wonder why there are synthetic retinoids if natural retinoids activate all RARs. I mean, isn't it better to have them all activated? Well, not always. After scientists figured out how retinoic acid worked, they created synthetic retinoids to mimic the effects of natural retinoids, while attempting to isolate and/or improve certain qualities of the responses..

For example, everyone knows that tretinoin can be irritating. Synthetic retinoids help minimize this irritation by only targeting the RARs responsible for the desired response, instead of activating all RARs across the board like natural retinoids do. Adapalene is a prime example, as Differin is one of the mildest prescription retinoids out there today..

Just like how synthetic retinoids can make natural retinoids less irritating without losing effectiveness, natural retinoids might actually not be strong enough for some peoples' skin. This is where tazarotene comes into play. By strongly binding to and activating particular RARs, you get a synthetic retinoid like Tazaroc, which is much stronger than a natural retinoid like Retin-A..

Stability in Sunlight
Another difference between synthetic retinoids and natural retinoids is their stability in sunlight. Natural retinoids tend to break down immediately when exposed to light (that's one of the reasons why you apply Retin-A at night and must wear sunscreen in the day), while synthetic retinoids remain stable. There is also some evidence that natural retinoids turn toxic when exposed to sunlight. Regardless of stability, you don't want to be in the sun anyway when you are using any kind of retinoid because they make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. .

With a synthetic retinoid like Tazarac, you can also use short contact therapy (SCT) to receive all the benefits of a retinoid without the irritation. Short contact therapy has only been proven to be effective with Tazorac (and not Differin), but it works under the premise that synthetic retinoids are not inactivated by your skin like natural retinoids are..

Natural retinoids can be converted into one another (ex. retinol is converted to retinaldehyde which is then converted to retinoic acid or tretinoin), but synthetic retinoids are very distinct in their chemical composition. Differin is weaker than Tazorac, but it is not a weaker form of Tazorac. They are two completely different drugs..

As you can see, there are a number of things that make synthetic retinoids different from natural retinoids. However, one isn't necessarily better than the other. As long as the retinoid works for you, it doesn't matter whether it's synthetic or natural..

Edited by Benni - Mar 11 2014 at 9:17pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 9:15pm
Use Retinoids the Right Way
How to use retinoids the right way to prevent irritation and purging

Skinacea.com

Use Retinoids the Right Way: Part I - Tips 1-4

When I was prescribed Differin for acne by my dermatologist, I got really excited because I finally sought professional help and was confident that my skin would start clearing up right away. So when I got home, I washed my face and slathered a big glob of Differin all over, thinking that using more would make it work faster.

In fact, I didn't know how to use Differin at all. My dermatologist (not a very good one I now realize) shooed me out of his office before giving me proper instructions and I assumed that the packet insert was insignificant. It was just acne cream right? Who wouldn't know how to put on acne cream?.

But, lo and behold, a few days later (3 exactly), my skin turned red and started peel. It became so sensitive that everything stung - cleanser, moisturizer, even water! I had made the mistake that most people make when they first start using retinoids: not knowing how to use them the right way..

I can't stress enough how important it is to know how to properly use retinoids. Lots of people I know either stay away from retinoids or give up on them after a few weeks because they couldn't stand the irritation and/or purging side effects that come with the initial use of the treatment. However, if you know how to use retinoids the right way, you can minimize most, if not all, of these bad things and make them much more tolerable..

Following these steps and tips when you first start using retinoids will make them easier on you and your skin (and you might even be able to avoid irritation or an initial breakout altogether!):.

1) Start off slow
When you are introducing retinoids to your skin, you want to start off slow. Most people just slap on the product every night and wake up to lots of irritation. However, the best way to use retinoids is to use them sparingly for the first few weeks and then slowly increase application thereafter. It doesn't matter if you are using gels or creams. It only matters that you start slow. .

To first start using retinoids, apply them once every three days for the first one or two weeks. After your skin adjusts to the product (or if you experience no irritation at all), bump it up to once every two nights for another few weeks. Then, use it every other night for another week and gradually graduate to using it nightly..

Starting off this way helps your skin slowly adjust to the product and when you give your skin time to adjust, it reduces irritation from the retinoid and can even help you avoid the initial breakout associated with most retinoids. (This initial breakout is more common for those who are using retinoids to treat acne. If your skin is clear when you start using retinoids, you will probably have nothing to "purge.").

Generally when you are using retinoids, you want to choose the strongest one your skin can tolerate. But when you are first starting out, a weaker retinoid will suffice. You can first condition your skin to the retinoid and then work your way up if you feel you need something stronger. Or you could even buffer it (more on this on the next section)..

However, if a particular retinoid is too irritating for your skin, it is perfectly okay to opt for a less potent version. You don't need to use the strongest retinoid out there for it to be effective. Weaker retinoids also work, but may just take a bit longer..

2) Use only a pea-sized amount
Don't be like me. Using more product will not help it work any faster. It will only help it irritate your skin even more. Therefore, only use a pea-sized amount for your entire face..

Now, something the size of a pea may not seem like a lot, but it's exactly the right amount you need for your skin. What I like to do is squeeze a pea-sized amount onto my index finger and start lightly dotting the product evenly over my face. Then, I smear all these dots together and spread the product into my skin. You actually have to do this rather quickly or else the product will dry up and you won't have anything to spread..

Applying the retinoid in this fashion ensures that all parts of your face get a light coating of the product. Sometimes when you start spreading with just one big glob, you may run out of it by the time you reach the other parts of your face..

If you still feel like you don't cover your entire face with a pea-sized amount, then it is okay to use a bit more. The thing is to just use the smallest amount possible to cover your whole face in order to minimize irritation..

While your eyes are more sensitive, it is okay to use retinoids under your eye area to diminish fine wrinkles there (don't put it on your eyelids though). When you first start using retinoids under your eye, it is common for any fine lines to look crepey and be even more pronounced. But, it should get better after awhile. If your eye is too sensitive to the retinoid, you can try buffering the product or just not using any near your eyes..

Retinoids can also be applied on your neck or hands. If you do use retinoids in these areas, be sure to wear good sunscreen as well, since retinoids make you more sensitive to the sun..

3) Use only once a day at night
Retinoids will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, therefore it is best to apply them at night. There is also some evidence that natural retinoids turn toxic when exposed to sunlight, so that's even more of a reason to avoid using them during the day! (It's okay to apply synthetic retinoids, such as Differin and Tazorac, during the day though, but it's probably not a good idea since they make you more sensitive to sunlight too.).

Besides using retinoids at night to minimize sun sensitivity, you should also be using a good sunscreen in the morning to protect your skin even more. Retinoid use and sunscreen (or sun avoidance if sunscreen does not agree with your skin) go hand in hand. You don't want to reverse all the good stuff the retinoid is doing for your skin (since the sun causes photoaging) or cause even more damage to your skin with overexposure to harmful UV rays..

You also want to apply the retinoid only once a day to minimize irritation. If you use other treatment products for acne or anti-aging, hold off on using them until you know for sure your skin can tolerate the retinoid. If you can't handle the irritation from a retinoid by itself, then you most likely won't be able to handle the irritation in conjunction with other products. Treatments, such as BHAs and AHAs, make retinoids more potent and more likely to irritate your skin..

If, however, you are at the point where you feel comfortable with your retinoid and want to add an extra boost, you can continue using the retinoid at night and add in a BHA or AHA in the morning. Alternatively, you can increase the penetration of your retinoid by using an AHA before applying the retinoid and following up with a moisturizer..

As with all retinoid use, take things slowly and add new products one at a time..

4) Wait 20 minutes after washing your face to apply the retinoid product
You want to wait 20 minutes after washing your face before applying a retinoid in order to reduce irritation. When you wash your skin, you disturb your skin's natural barrier and waiting a bit before applying a harsh product will give your skin more time to recover..

Also, applying a retinoid onto damp skin will cause it to absorb faster, increasing the chances of irritation..

Edited by Benni - Mar 11 2014 at 9:18pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
  Share Topic