Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Skin Care > Dark Spots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MY JOURNEY TO BETTER SKIN CARE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 2:48pm
I have tolerated the slight increase in LA lotion very well, even on my face . I will start back using the Kojie soap today, it seem to be what is really helping the LA lotion. There are lighter 'blotchiness' showing up within the sun damaged areas. Not so obvious that it looks weird, but enough to let me know what I am doing is working. The less sun damaged areas are lightening back to my original shade. That pleases me .

Sponsored Links

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 8:54pm
I am tolerating the higher %age of LA lotion quite well, even on my face, neck and decollete' . So glad to be using Kojie soap again.
It is that time again , I am already starting to have a little anxiety about spending time in the dreaded TUB

Need to get more serious about using Sun Screen, especially when at home. I love waking up and just opening the Curtains to let the Sunshine in. The last thing on my mind is applying Sun Screen first. . Yet, it is said that sun rays (through windows) are damaging, especially when exfoliating or lightening the skin
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 1:06pm
So, after using Kojie San soap, and LA lotion last night, I noticed a lot of 'bumps' and red splotches on my chest. It did not itch so I just applied some Hydrocortisone Cream. This morning it was healed over, no problems.
My neck and chest are very sensitive areas since I developed a sensitivity to metals a few yrs ago. If it's not Gold, my skin will respond quickly and furiously .
Since applying the Hydrocortisone Cream works well, I am encouraged to do things as I have been doing, and use the Cream as needed.
I am keeping some old Sun Screen at bedside to use upon awakening, so all my efforts are not hindered.

Happy Saturday !!!    
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 9:38pm
Science finds new fix for UV-damaged skin in arthritis treatment

Researchers found that the topical application of a N-acetyl glucosamine (4 percent) and niacinamide (2 percent) complex produced visible improvement in pigmentation after 8 weeks.

Cincinnati, OH – For many women, accumulated sun exposure has already permanently damaged their skin cells, causing them to overproduce pigment that shows up as unsightly dark splotches and uneven skin tone over time. But new research indicates that glucosamine - a compound best known for treating arthritis – can actually help stop the formation of new age spots, and help fade existing ones.

"These findings on glucosamine may impact the way dermatologists treat UV-related skin damage in the future. Right now we have prescription and surgical options, which some people aren't willing to try," says Alexa Kimball, M.D., assistant professor of dermatology, Harvard Medical School and lead researcher on one of the studies testing glucosamine. "It's exciting to see this level of research being done on topical cosmetic applications of glucosamine, and the promising results."

N-acetyl glucosamine and niacinamide block melanin production by interfering in the process at two different points - reducing formation and appearance of age spots. A key enzyme in melanin biosynthesis...

An International Consensus on Glucosamine Skin Benefits

In early 2006, a group of leading dermatologists from around the world and Procter & Gamble Beauty scientists convened in Rome to review and discuss the glucosamine data. The panel determined that n-acetyl glucosamine, a more stable form of glucosamine, reduced the amount of melanin in skin cells, meaning there was less excess pigment in the skin to cause age spots. Additionally, the panel concluded that a formulation of n-acetyl glucosamine and niacinamide, a vitamin B derivative, significantly reduced the amount and appearance of hyperpigmentation, age spots and uneven melanin distribution. Researchers paired n-acetyl glucosamine with niacinamide because they knew that niacinamide had similar effects on slowing down pigment production and hypothesized that the two might work better together.

The panel reviewed data from three studies involving the n-acetyl glucosamine /niacinamide formulation. Tissue studies showed a reduction in melanin and an increase in collagen – a key structural protein in skin. Three double-blinded placebo- controlled clinical studies involving more than 200 subjects, including a study supervised by Dr. Kimball, showed improvement in hyperpigmentation and skin tone and a decrease in the size of age spots. The research is set to be presented in July at the "Academy '06" meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), and was first presented at the AAD annual meeting in March 2006.

A series of events occur within pigment cells to trigger the production of melanin. The process can be activated by both external influences, such as UV radiation or irritants,...

Skin Biology Gives Researchers Clues for Developing New Treatments
The interest in glucosamine as a possible treatment comes in part from what scientists already know happens on a cellular level when skin is exposed to UV radiation. Chronic UV exposure can damage melanocytes, cells in the skin responsible for producing melanin, in a variety of different ways. Often, this damage can lead to a loss of cellular control, and the production of chemicals that allow the cells to keep producing more and more melanin – which eventually leads to age spots and uneven discoloration. Additionally, as skin ages, cell turnover slows down and melanin "dust" – microscopic particles of melanin – can become trapped in the upper layers of skin, resulting in a duller appearance.

Researchers are familiar with these processes and that has helped them focus on substances - such as n-acetyl glucosamine - that are known to interrupt the UV-triggered chemical signals that turn on melanin production. Skin care products that utilize signal-blocking ingredients currently exist in the marketplace, but products with n-acetyl glucosamine/niacinamide - which block melanin at two different points in the pigment producing process - are among the newest and most studied.

"Pigmentation is an appearance issue that strikes an emotional chord for women, and even though we're constantly telling our patients about the importance of UV-protection, once the damage is done, we need to be able to provide them with ways to help," says Dr. Kimball. "The level of research and validation on topical cosmetic application of glucosamine will help it stand apart from other ingredients when it comes to improving tone and treating hyperpigmentation."

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 9:51pm
Benefits of Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
Posted on November 16, 2009 by Mileena

"Studies have proven in the recent years that niacinamide is a powerful ingredient that yields many skin care benefits.

Commonly known as Vitamin B3, Niacinamide at 2% has been shown to reduce water loss in the skin and retain fatty acid levels (younger, plumper, firmer skin). It has also been proven at high concentrations (between 3-4%) to be a very effective acne reducer. Clinical research has shown niacinamide (Vit B3) to be just as effective as the topical antibiotic Clindamycin at treating acne. Obviously Niacinamide doesn’t run the risk of resistance, since it is not an antibiotic.

Niacinamide is also an excellent skin lightening agent that works by disrupting the transfer of melanosome from the melanocyte to the keratinocyte. I blogged about this months ago, but there was a study done by Procter & Gamble that proved that the combination of niacinamide and glucosamine (N-Acetyl Glucosamine) demonstrated significant skin lightening in patients. This revelation was pretty big, and was presented at the 2006 American Academy of Dermatology. Here is an interesting link showing before & after pictures of patients as well as details regarding the research:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-06/msl-sfn063006.php

In general, most individuals saw results after 12 weeks of daily usage (and saw a reduction of 35-68% of pigmentation). Like with most other skin lightening compounds, niacinamide has an inhibitory effect and in order to get the most out of it, you must be wearing sunscreen everyday and exfoliate often to ensure a complete melanin inhibiting process.

I am really fascinated by niacinamide, I have heard a lot about it through many mediums. I knew about the skin lightening benefits, but I always hesistated to try it out because very few products out there contain niacinamide in half-decent concentrations. The only ones I can think of are:

Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum

Olay Definity Line
La Roche Posay Rosaliac Anti-Redness
Fair & Lovely Fairness Cream
Fairever Cream
SK II Whitening Source (Japanese whitening line)

There are probably more (and most of those, aside from the SK II Whitening Source, contain below than 2 or 3% niacinamide), but honestly I am more interested in crafted my own niacinamide lightener. Either as a mask, toner or serum I don’t know yet but I’m definitley interested in making one. You all know how much I love doing these do-it-yourself skin lightening recipes. I know I can purchase the active ingredient at bulkactives.com.

I just need to do a bit more research but I’m seriously thinking of making one. I am convinced Niacinamide (possibly mix it with N-Acetyl Glucosamine) may end with some awesome results. Look out for a blog post on this in the new couple of days when I get more information."

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 5:22pm
I had my Bath. It is getting easier, but I don't think I will ever get used to it or look forward to it. It may be all about the time I spend just laying in a Tub. I will look into purchasing Sea Salt Soap. Today and tomorrow will be free of LA lotion and Kojic soap. The Shea/Cocoa Butter and Oils feel great.

The lighter areas on my face are becoming larger and blending in to each other .

Patience truly is a Virtue
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 12:24pm
My permatan continues to 'lift'. I am still shocked to see how deep it got, but it was gradual except for the past 5 yrs. My skin is just drinking up these oils. The exfoliating process really can be drying, so a 2-day break every week is so necessary to rehydrate.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 7:00pm
So I got a little antsy this afternoon, and did something I had not planned on doing . There maybe some good or bad coming from this, but it is too soon to give an accurate account of anything at this point. By tomorrow morning it will be at least 15 hrs, and I will post an accurate result. But, so far so good in certain areas . We shall see

Hoping for the best.
My plan is to give a day by day result of what I am actually doing, and what comes of it....Pass or fail

Edited by Benni - Nov 18 2013 at 7:03pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 12:57pm
So after my shower yesterday, I realized I had not used my KS or LA lotion for more than 24 hrs, so I decided to try a peel on my legs just to give it a test run
The %age I used yield 2 ounces which was way too much for my legs. I then did my arms, and there was too much left for my frugal side to just toss out....I ended up doing my entire body , including lips, and ears. Obviously my neck was not happy about this but I tolerated the minimum 3 mins on my neck. Rinsing thoroughly with water, then Baking Soda solution.
I always wondered how a full body peel can be accomplished, but it was so easy.
My neck was warm, red and puffy. However, it did not burn. I waited 6 hrs to apply Hydrocortisone Crm to my neck. Oiled my body well.
This morning my neck is a dark red color, and a little tender. My face will get a nice peel. I see crepey surface skin. Everywhere else has a dry feel, so I will keep it very moisturized. Anxious to how much my lips will peel.
All in all, it went well. Next time I will do everything the same, doing the neck last again, but I will dilute the solution slightly before doing my neck.
I seem to set up time restraints of when I will do certain things, then I exercise my right as a female to change my mind and do things on impulse
I can go back to using KS soap and LA lotion 24 hrs after doing this peel, but since this is my first time, I will give it 48 hrs.

I am so excited to see the results
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 8:02pm
It's been 24 hrs since my impulsive peel I am not sure what will become of my Arms, Legs and Torso. Was this %age of peel not strong enough, will it peel given more time IDK
My bottom lips..I am doing everything to keep my hands away from them. It looks good and ready for me to get my fingers in there and start ripping away . Instead I am just going to keep applying Vaseline and wait it out.
My neck looks like it has been dragged on concrete, A B R A S I V E !!!
I am not alarmed because this is the way my Face looked when I was getting Glycolic Peels from that BH Derm. I will just keep applying Oils because I know that will be a good peel . I will have to wear white cotton gloves, because my impulse will always to manually peel the skin off
My Face will peel or maybe flake IDK. Time will tell. It is not as telling as my neck
I am happy with the results so far. Next time I may have to do a couple layers on my Arms and Legs(they're tough). I will have to give this one a few days to marinate.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style