Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My hair won't absorb oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
sharmaine73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharmaine73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair won't absorb oil
    Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 8:29pm
Hello all:
I am sorry if this has already been touched on in another post and if someone has a link to another post that has already dealt with this, please post it and I will go there.

My issue is, I have very thick, very course 4a/4b hair that is natural.  I have been having a terrible time with hair that feels dry and brittle.  I try not to comb or manipulate my hair at all without  it being soaking wet and gooped in conditioner.  I really don't want to invest in a lot of expensive products.  I use hello hydration conditioner and generally just co-wash once per week, and hello hydration shampoo (which I have only used once so far.  I haven't shampoo'd my hair with traditional shampoo in months and even then I was using Nexus Humectris and other conditioning moisturizing shampoo's.  

Anyway, I used to press my hair all the time and my hair seemed to absorb these oils much better.  My hair was super healthy and actually grew quite long.  But now that I'm not even pressing my hair, and just keeping in a protective style, my hair is sooooooo dry.  I hate it.  I actually bought some pure coconut oil as this is supposed to absorb really well in your hair.  I tried just putting it on top of m dry hair.  Then I tried putting it on after freshly washed hair.  It just sat on top of my hair and did NOTHING.  I had hair that felt like greasy straw.

And so many of these other products leave build up on my hair.  I have dark almost black hair. So anything that isn't clear is going to leave a film or lakes in my hair. The only thing that seems to make any difference is after I wash and condition my hair, to put some baby oil or mineral oil gel or something in my hair with maybe a little conditioner. I use baby oil gel over wet hair because it's clear and actually feels like weighs my crazy poofy hair down a little.  But it never becomes soft to the touch.  it just makes it easier to braid up for the week.  What do I do?  Keep in mind I am unemployed and I don't have a lot of money to spend on products like Ms. Jessie's and hair puddings and all that.  Besides I went natural partially to SAVE money.  Does anyone know what to do? I need help.  My hair is growing and thick but I am very careful not to do anything to do it because it is so dry and cottony it would surely break if I tried to mess with it more than once per week.  Thanks in advance. Smile
Sponsored Links

yaelis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaelis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 8:38pm
what oils did you use while pressing? Have you considered using it while natural?
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 8:44pm
Oils don't moisturize, they seal. Coconut oil is good because it can seep into the hair strand but I think you need to get a good water based leave-in conditioner and then seal it with the coconut oil.  You might need to do a moisturizing DC. I'm a 4a/b natural and I have to do one every 2 weeks or so or I'll be wearing dry brittle straw on my head. You could try oil rinsing too. When I did it, it made my hair so soft and I didn't have to moisturize again until a week later.

When it comes to products, I generally avoid anything with mineral oil and/or petroleum in it. Mineral oil and petroleum are known for blocking out moisture from our hair strands. I know you said you bought pure coconut oil but is it extra virgin? It's best to go with the least processed oils. If you're still having trouble with the coconut oil, try using some Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Some of the ladies on this forum will swear by it.
NaturelNicoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturelNicoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 8:47pm
Unhappy
Aw.
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but have you tried you sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner?
I have an annoying patch of heat damaged hair that feels really dry most of the time.
I made the switch the sulfate-free shampoos/conditioners and found that it made it feel softer and more manageable.
It also seemed to help it absorb moisture too, because usually I would have a problem with that.
Also, have you tried using oil to seal after using a moisturizing product?
Or does it just sit on top?
Do you DC as well?
You may have a moisture imbalance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharmaine73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 10:34pm
When I was pressing I used any sort of oil that would be solid in the jar but would melt at the touch.  It's been a while since I was getting my hair pressed regularly, but I used Keracare.  NEVER a cream like Pink oil. A cream oil would cause my hair to revert and it would also leave a pink film on my hair.  In fact anything that is an opaque cream oil is going to leave a film or residue in my hair.  Guaranteed.  I also needed less oil when my hair was pressed.  I had great hair too.  I got compliments all the time.  It all went down hill when a hair dresser talked me into relaxing it because she was tired of pressing my very thick hair. 

I don't know what to do.  I'm not going to give up, but going natural is hard.  I just gave away my bag of weave hair to my cousin.  She thinks I'm nuts.  It was sooooo hard letting that expensive hair walk out the door and all my old hair care products I don't use anymore. Oy. That hair meant a lot to me.  It was a crutch.  A few months ago I would not have gone out of the house with "natural" hair.  I would have cried if I had to.  Seriously.  Oh I am so depressed.  I want my hair to stop being dry.  I don't want to go back to being ashamed of my head and throwing money after money trying to maintain it. It's demoralizing.  Unhappy
lovelynatural81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovelynatural81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:29am
I will say that there are so many blogs, youtube and this board here that can help you find solutions to your hair issues. It sounds like to need to get to know what your hair likes and dislikes. What worked for your hair in the past may not work right now and waht works for someone else may not work for you. For many of us it is trial and error. It sounds like you need to step away from the oil in the jar and invest in some decent deep conditioners and try some coconut oil. The store bought jar oils can leave build up on your hair. Also pressing your hair and using oils to do so may make your hair appear soft with no damage but that may not be the case. You may infact have heat damage. You can try curlynikki 's blog and search around. We have all spent many hours researching and figuring out what works best for each of us. If you value the hair on your head it would be wise to the same. We cannot lay everything that your hair needs on a silver platter but we can give you the tools to get started and hope that it helps with your growth and health of your hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharmaine73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 1:00am
lovelynatural81
Thanks for the feedback.  I know there is a lot of information out there.  I've been to YouTube, done google searches, check out blogs.  This is part of the process of my researching how different people handle dry hair that isn't absorbing oil.  It's all part of a comprehensive plan.  Also, I haven't pressed my hair in about 5 years.  I haven't had a relaxer in almost that long as well.  All the hair on my head right now is new growth.  No relaxer and not heat has touched my hair - hot comb, blow dryer, curling iron, nothing.  I have totally virgin hair.

I don't know what the salon used to press my hair.  But it was healthy and grew down my back.  I used oil after the fact to keep it silky and straight. But nobody wants to press hair like mine anymore. 

Anyway, I got a lot of good information and I'm glad I asked.  I've done a lot what some of the ladies on here have suggested.  Maybe I just haven't found the right type of oil or lotion for my hair yet.  I'll have to keep experimenting until I hit on something.  

I wonder if my hair needs to be clarified? Well I try that next perhaps.  Thanks for all your help.  I appreciate it.
Alexis303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 1:03am
I have had some of those same problems.  The one thing I have found that has worked wonderfully for me is Argan Oil.  I get the Moroccan Oil brand that comes in the blue and orange bottle, but I know there are tons of cheaper versions out now so I may try to switch to one of those.  It has done miracles for my hair.  It is one of the only things I have ever used that feels like it really absorbs well into my hair.  I spray it on my damp hair after it's been washed and I also use it now as a heat protectant when I flat iron.  It has worked very well for me.  I read something about how it absorbs really well because the molecules of Argan oil are very small.  I don't know if that is why it works well for me, but it definitely absorbs far better than almost anything I have used before.
Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilnicka4u2nv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 1:04am
Most oils don't penetrate...,in other word they arent meant to absorb, just seal 

Coconut and Olive Oil have penetrating properties...
Kiwistardust View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwistardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 1:43am
Olive oil is the truth. It works better than coconut oil for me. I have 4b hair that gets dry, so I now use olive oil to add moisture. Not too much, though, or I'd have squishy hair! It's already liquid, so I don't need to heat it up.

ETA: You don't need to press your hair to moisturize it. Have you tried shea butter? Also, if you're hair is as dry as you say it is, you may want to shampoo less, even if it is "moisturizing", to prevent even more dryness. That's just from my experience anyway.

Edited by Kiwistardust - Oct 17 2011 at 1:49am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>