Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedMy hair will not lay down!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
missmac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair will not lay down!!!
    Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 2:40pm
Sometimes I want to have my hair just pulled back in a pony tail but I can not get my hair to lay down.  I use gel and wrap a scarf around it for the night but it I need to put a head band an hour after I take off the scarf because it it's starts to frizz up. 

Are there any methods/products that I can use to help the hair to lay down?  I know the gel that I currently use is the main problem.  But I don't know what gel I should use that will not flake and get too hard. 

Help me Cry 
Sponsored Links

DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 3:32pm
I know if you use all natural aloe vera gel you won't have the flaking problem plus it won't dry out your hair because it doesnt' contain alcohol. Just make sure to read the ingredients before purchasing some aren't all natural.
emih19 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 3:45pm
have you tried using a moisturiser first then use your gel? try glycerin and water.
and what kind of gel are you using?
maybe you need to clarify your hair?(shampoo)
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 4:16pm
I have some unconventional ways of getting my hair to lay down. 

I don't like using gel alone, so I use gel and blue magic hair grease together and I get a good hold that doesn't flake and doesn't get brick hard. 

I have also been known to use cholesterol to get my hair to lay down.  It works like a charm.  I don't know how healthy (or unhealthy) using the cholesterol would be, but I haven't seen any adverse effects. 

If I'm using a gel like Fantasia with no alcohol, I like to dampen my hair first.  Fantasia + my hair when dry = a hot mess. 
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 4:23pm
I too use grease(Qhemet's) and water plus gel(IC"S Fantansia) to lay my hair down=waves. If you have thick hair, like I do, that instruction that says a quarter size amount is a JOKE. You gotta be hevay handed with the gel sometimes and brush it on down.
MissFallon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by MissCassC MissCassC wrote:

I have some unconventional ways of getting my hair to lay down. 

I don't like using gel alone, so I use gel and blue magic hair grease together and I get a good hold that doesn't flake and doesn't get brick hard. 

I have also been known to use cholesterol to get my hair to lay down.  It works like a charm.  I don't know how healthy (or unhealthy) using the cholesterol would be, but I haven't seen any adverse effects. 

If I'm using a gel like Fantasia with no alcohol, I like to dampen my hair first.  Fantasia + my hair when dry = a hot mess. 

lol...girl I thought I was the only one to use cholesterol. Good to know I'm not crazyLOL
talkalotgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2007 at 8:48pm
To get my hair to lay down, b/c I wear it pulled back all the time is to start after my wash

first (ETA DC), leave in conditioner and then gel

my new hair conditioning potions for hair are

either freshly washed or a little damp out of shower or wet my brush (many are against brushing, I haven't had any issues.  I have a natural boar brush and a 'vent' brush that has short bristles too.  the vent brush gets to my roots and smooths/detangles my hair without a lot of stress and the boar brush is just to smooth the outside before I scarf)

cheapie conditioner, raw shea butter and wgho

unrefined/raw shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil (which is a natural moisterizer which mimics natural sebum)

and the (highly controversal) clear protien gel

loose pony and hair pin the sides so they will dry smooth

scarf overnight and keep it moving

I wet my hair daily and haven't had an issue

my RL natural hair mentor told me today that she has been using the aloe vera gel from back to nature as a 'gel' to wear her hair out and says it's good for hold, just don't use too much, or it will flake.

Edited by talkalotgirl - Jul 27 2007 at 9:02pm
samanthajones67 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 12:05am
I have blown my hair on Cold - and this has helped to get it at least to the point of laying it down.....After that it is a mix of Shealoe, and glycerin.....and scarfing and keeping it tied down for a long time...
Napp View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 12:17am
i use elasta qp mango butter along with my gel and i am heavy handed with it. then i go over it waves with  flat toothed comb. it usually dont sprig up after that. but when i use fantasia ic i have to use a scarf to keep it down.  i dont lie using the scarf though because although th hair is flat it looks weird.thats the only way my baby hairs stay down
FrenchFries View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 3:21am
When I want to pull it back, I do it while my hair is still wet. Put a little more conditioner and Fantasia IC gel (in small sections to make sure all the hair on top is covered with it), firmly smooth down with my hands, and pull it back. After that I don't touch it until it dries...cause if I do, it'll frizz up.

Are you doing this on dry or wet/damp hair?
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic