FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy hair type chart, with pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
shabang_ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 12:52pm
I think I'm a huge mix of 3b2, 3b4, 3b7 & 3b9.
Teehee, but probably mostly 3b7.
Sponsored Links

morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:02pm
Good work AfroGerman girl! I really liked the old hair chart from Blended Beauty as well. It was the most useful I'd ever seen for my hairtype.

Some minor comments would be that many of the 3b's look like they should be 3c's. My hair resembles some of the 3b's according to your chart, but I really consider myself a 3c. But I do really understand that you had to work with the photos available to you.

morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:04pm
Another thought would be for someone to develop a chart that addresses both CURL SIZE and TEXTURE maybe with two columns of photos. Many people choose a photo that resembles their hair based on just the curl size or just the texture without realizing that just because your hair is coarse, less shiny, or frizzy like steel wool in texture you can still have loose curls - best exemplified in that last photo  of the chart.

And of course - someone also needs to develop a chart that addresses the diversity of 4 type hair. I've seen SO many lovely and different variations of 4 here on BHM.
AfroGerman_Girl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 5:03am
Thanks for the suggestions, morenae! Looking at your picture, your lovely curls actually look like 3b to me, not 3c! My daughter definitely has 3c hair (I had stacey from Blended Beauty define her hair type for me), and her curls are tighter and smaller than yours. In my opinion - at least looking at your pic - your curls are not small or tight enough to be 3c...you would definitely go in the 3b category, probably 3b7...just my opinion though!Embarrassed As for the diversity of type 4 hair, I totally agree with you! I think some type 4 members should chime in with pics etc. because I don't have much experience with this type of hair.
Kimiche View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by AfroGerman_Girl AfroGerman_Girl wrote:

Originally posted by sanja sanja wrote:

what's this hair type?

my hair looked mostly like that as a child.  i had very loose s-waves in the back (was it my nape?  i don't remember).  i know my hair type has changed over the years, but i'm still curious.

also -- you cannot type your hair when it's dry?

This hair in the picture you posted looks like a type 3b or 3c where the curls have been combed out. As a child, my mum used to comb my curls out too, so you couldn't see them. I can achieve this look by dry-combing my hair (which is bad for your hair!!). I'm not sure what you mean by not typing your hair when it's dry? Where did you read that?

As a child, my hair sorta looked like the hair in that pic too, but a little more coarse.  Boy I hated getting my hair combed, because it hurt.  Would that be classified as a 4 since it's a little more coarse?  I don't have any pics to show.  I have to get relaxers now, going natural just wouldn't work for me.
sanja View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Kimiche Kimiche wrote:

what's this hair type?

my hair looked mostly like that as a child.  i had very loose s-waves in the back (was it my nape?  i don't remember).  i know my hair type has changed over the years, but i'm still curious.

This hair in the picture you posted looks like a type 3b or 3c where the curls have been combed out. As a child, my mum used to comb my curls out too, so you couldn't see them. I can achieve this look by dry-combing my hair (which is bad for your hair!!). I'm not sure what you mean by not typing your hair when it's dry? Where did you read that?

As a child, my hair sorta looked like the hair in that pic too, but a little more coarse.  Boy I hated getting my hair combed, because it hurt.  Would that be classified as a 4 since it's a little more coarse?  I don't have any pics to show.  I have to get relaxers now, going natural just wouldn't work for me.

exactly!  it was coarse (it wasn't at first, but as i got a little older it started getting coarse) and i couldn't stand to have my hair combed.

i thought this was maybe 4b hair or something, but i don't know.
Kimiche View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 11:44pm

Good topic.

Edited by Kimiche - Aug 09 2007 at 11:48pm
Kimiche View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 11:53pm

Originally posted by Kimiche Kimiche wrote:

what's this hair type?

exactly!  it was coarse (it wasn't at first, but as i got a little older it started getting coarse) and i couldn't stand to have my hair combed.

i thought this was maybe 4b hair or something, but i don't know.

I think that I may be a 4.

morenae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 1:04pm
AfroGerman Girl -

3b? Naw...now here you go giving me an identity crisis...LOL!
AfroGerman_Girl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 1:17pm
LOL@ identity crisis!LOL
I also had a look at your other pictures, and it still looks like a 3b subtype to me...have you ever seen a picture of Stacey Canfield, the owner of Blended Beauty? She describes herself as a 3b7, and her hair is very similar to yours, although perhaps your curls couls be slightly tighter, but not much. You may be a 3b7 or 3b8 in this typing system, but definitely not a 3c, because my daughter is most definitely a 3c and has smaller and tighter curls.Wink
But in other hair charts you would be 3c...even Rachel True is described a s a 3c in a lot of systems, and I absolutely disagree with that!
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic