Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my hair soaks up everything...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
darkbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my hair soaks up everything...
    Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 6:11am
When I put my daily moisturizer on my hair, it is soaked up within hours. My hair soaks up everything, and always feels super dry. What is my problem? What are some products i need to do to fix this

Edited by darkbarbie - Dec 12 2012 at 6:12am
Sponsored Links

Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 6:18am
Sounds like you have porous hair. Your hair cuticles are basically raised upwards instead of laying flat on top of each other like fish scales. You need to close your hair cuticles in order to keep moisture in longer. 
Try rinsing with apple cider vinegar after you condition. 

Edited by Derri - Dec 12 2012 at 6:19am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 6:27am
thankyou for the help
902sexxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 902sexxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 12:48am
Acv really helps keep my hair moist.
Hollistics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Hollistics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 7:29am
I agree, the problem is probably that you have porous hair. Although product build up is another problem that can cause your hair to dry out and stop responding to products. If you use silicones, heavy oils and hair cremes/butters while avoiding sulfate shampoos - it could be bad news for your hair. Here are some ideas:

1) Do a monthly ACV rinse. I use silicones often but shampoo rarely so this is my main line of defense against build up and dry flaky scalp. 

2) Water is the basis of all moisture, if water isn't present - neither is moisture. For dry or porous hair you must be sure to seal on wash days. Sealing with oils and butters only locks in the moisture that's already present. (Or blocks out moisture if it is not already present.) 

3) On wash days, seal in layers while your hair is still wet. Start with a creamy water based leave-in, follow up with an oil like coconut oil or EVOO. You can follow that up with a heavy cream or butter, but only if your hair needs it. You don't want limp, weighed down hair. 

4) Instead of adding your daily moisture in the morning, try sealing at night. Mist a little water on the ends of your hair and rub oil on them. Cover with satin for sleeping. 

5) If you have some free time at home, try baggying your hair for an hour when it starts to feel too dry. This always works as a quick fix for dry strands. 

Hope this helps. For more info check out my blog www.Hollistics.com - It's all about growing healthy, beautiful, natural hair! 

Hollis

femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 8:07pm
hey OP, i baggy every night.  My hair was always "thirsty" .. Moving to an arid climate, just made things worst, and it died on the vine - several times.  Just dried up and blew away. Right off my head, and down the hall way..

Baggying has a huge help in my hair journey. I have no idea regarding your location, but someone else has suggested this method, as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 3:30pm
thankyou
RedAdmiral101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedAdmiral101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 3:35am
Aloe vera juice!!! The kind you drink)just using that as a spritz or adding some to your leave ins will help as well. Its acidic like ACV but you do not have to rinse it out. This has been my staple for almost 3 years.

http://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&refid=8&_rdr#!/nappturally.nessa?__user=100004352108547

http://nappturallynessa101.blogspot.com/
tonione03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonione03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Hollistics Hollistics wrote:

I agree, the problem is probably that you have porous hair. Although product build up is another problem that can cause your hair to dry out and stop responding to products. If you use silicones, heavy oils and hair cremes/butters while avoiding sulfate shampoos - it could be bad news for your hair. Here are some ideas:

1) Do a monthly ACV rinse. I use silicones often but shampoo rarely so this is my main line of defense against build up and dry flaky scalp. 

2) Water is the basis of all moisture, if water isn't present - neither is moisture. For dry or porous hair you must be sure to seal on wash days. Sealing with oils and butters only locks in the moisture that's already present. (Or blocks out moisture if it is not already present.) 

3) On wash days, seal in layers while your hair is still wet. Start with a creamy water based leave-in, follow up with an oil like coconut oil or EVOO. You can follow that up with a heavy cream or butter, but only if your hair needs it. You don't want limp, weighed down hair. 

4) Instead of adding your daily moisture in the morning, try sealing at night. Mist a little water on the ends of your hair and rub oil on them. Cover with satin for sleeping. 

5) If you have some free time at home, try baggying your hair for an hour when it starts to feel too dry. This always works as a quick fix for dry strands. 

Hope this helps. For more info check out my blog www.Hollistics.com - It's all about growing healthy, beautiful, natural hair! 

Hollis

I just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your blog for the last hour. I love it. Very easy to navigate, professional, good design, and fun to read. :)

Toni~
AriesBabe09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AriesBabe09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:00pm
Everything Hollistic said plus moisturizing and sealing....moisturizing and sealing with castor oil has saved my hair.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic