BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Hair Isn't Flourishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lala71848 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lala71848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 5:22pm
IA with the previous posts. I was also experiencing.
the same thing where my hair won't grow. until i started to take hair skin and nails vitamins since then i have noticed alot of growth. Also biotin is great for hair growth but it might cause break outs, or facial hair. I use natures bounty Hair skin and nails that has 3000mg of biotin. I take 2daily instead of the three thats recommended. And I havent had any negatives so far only positive.

Edited by lala71848 - Oct 05 2013 at 5:24pm
Sponsored Links

krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

@ Krisviola: I haven't exercised recently and my diet has been rubbish for most of 2013 Embarrassed. However, I am addressing it And there are other things I could definitely need to change. Like, I currently sleep on cotton pillow cases, and I don't use a wig cap... Nor do I have enough silky scarfs. I'm gonna go out and get this stuff today. But I would've thought that those things would contribute to breakage, not lack of hair growth. When I comb, either using my fingers or a widetooth comb, with conditioner, I mainly lose long strands, they're rarely short or medium in length. My hair just doesn't seem to have grown in 3 months Confused. I'll need to give this much more thought.

@ Rell: I'm currently looking into growth aids. I already use supplements - Spirulina, Iron and Cod Liver Oil, but I'm going to consider aids more tailored towards hair growth.

@ Redbone: I'm already on it! And I usually drink mineral or tap water that's been boiled and cooled down. I only drink plain tap if there's nothing else available.

Thanks guys

Breakage=lack of growth.  Do you have hair color or some type of chemical in your hair that would easily let you know which end of your hair the slow growth rate is coming from?  As naturals, it's very difficult to tell if the hairs out of our scalps are growing if it's breaking off at the ends.  Women with relaxed hair have this part easy.  They can tell exactly how much hair is growing from month to month.

Take a photo of your hair today.  As a matter of fact, take a few.  At the beginning of November after you've taken some of the advice you received in this thread, compare your hair to the photos.

Buying a satin pillow case or a bonnet is a great place to start if you want to reduce your breakage.  I have to admit I haven't been doing that for the past few days.  But it's because my bonnets need to go into the washing machine before I put them back on my head. 
imfunsized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 10:37pm
Breakage equals a distribution in retention. It had nothing to do with hair growing from the scalp. She most likely is not properly moisturizing her hair especially her end where breakage occurs. You can take all the growth aids you want but of you are not properly moisturizing your hair you are not going to have length retention. It has nothing to do with growing but you practice good moisturizing techniques.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 11:16am
Keep ENDS moist and products off your scalp.
Stop towel drying, use an old t-shirt
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 11:17am
Also wear a satin cap between your hair and that wig. The scalp of that wig can cause unnecessary friction.
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

You said extreme breakage which means your hair is not being properly moisturized, I recommend deep conditioning maybe 2 times a week and maybe buying a better moisturizer.

I'm beginning to think I need more moisture, but my hair's scared to death of protein, so I tend to load it up with oil and moisturiser. However, I bought a chelating (sp) shampoo yesterday and did a DC this morning. My hair is a little hard now but that's to be expected. I'll have to see how it feels midweek. Thanks for your input :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

Have your vitamin levels checked, I'm anemic and that effects my hair growth.

Originally posted by lala71848 lala71848 wrote:

IA with the previous posts. I was also experiencing.
the same thing where my hair won't grow. until i started to take hair skin and nails vitamins since then i have noticed alot of growth. Also biotin is great for hair growth but it might cause break outs, or facial hair. I use natures bounty Hair skin and nails that has 3000mg of biotin. I take 2daily instead of the three thats recommended. And I havent had any negatives so far only positive.

I take daily supplements, including a liquid iron supplement (Spatone) and Sprirulina, which is high in iron. However, I'm cutting down on my intake of junk / processed food so this should help.

Thank you both :)

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 06 2013 at 6:10pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by krisviola1 krisviola1 wrote:

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

@ Krisviola: ... But I would've thought that those things would contribute to breakage, not lack of hair growth. ...

Breakage=lack of growth.  Do you have hair color or some type of chemical in your hair that would easily let you know which end of your hair the slow growth rate is coming from?  As naturals, it's very difficult to tell if the hairs out of our scalps are growing if it's breaking off at the ends.  Women with relaxed hair have this part easy.  They can tell exactly how much hair is growing from month to month.

Take a photo of your hair today.  As a matter of fact, take a few.  At the beginning of November after you've taken some of the advice you received in this thread, compare your hair to the photos.

Buying a satin pillow case or a bonnet is a great place to start if you want to reduce your breakage.  I have to admit I haven't been doing that for the past few days.  But it's because my bonnets need to go into the washing machine before I put them back on my head. 
To be honest I'm no longer sure if the hair I'm losing is breakage or normal shed hair. I assumed it was mainly shed hair because most of the breakage I experienced  previously (except once before) was hair that was a mixture of long, short & medium pieces. Plus there would be loads of hair in my hands after moisturising or in the bath after shampooing / rinsing. Now, there's rarely anything in the bath or in my hands. I just don't know.Confused. But although, I originally said I don't think my reggie is too bad, I am tweaking it to see if I can get better results.

Thanks again :)

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 06 2013 at 6:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

Breakage equals a distribution in retention. It had nothing to do with hair growing from the scalp. She most likely is not properly moisturizing her hair especially her end where breakage occurs. You can take all the growth aids you want but of you are not properly moisturizing your hair you are not going to have length retention. It has nothing to do with growing but you practice good moisturizing techniques.
I do moisturise regularly - I smooth the moisturiser from root to tip, then about half way down, and then the ends. I do this in sections a number of times depending on how ' 'unmoisturised' my hair feels.

Thanks again :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by bebe88 bebe88 wrote:

Keep ENDS moist and products off your scalp.
Stop towel drying, use an old t-shirt
@bebe: sorry I didn't actually mean a towel - I use soft cotton tops, which I press against my hair to absorb as much water as possible, then I wrap it around my head to dry it a little more.

Originally posted by bebe88 bebe88 wrote:

Also wear a satin cap between your hair and that wig. The scalp of that wig can cause unnecessary friction.
@bebe@ I'll definitely do this. I completely forgot to pick one up when I got my shampoos yesterday, but it's a No1 priority for tomorrow.@

@krisviola: that is my problem too, not having enough silky scarves / bonnets so they run out before I can wash them again. Also, re the pics, I did my hair this morning, but I'll try & take some next wkend when take out the braids again.

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 06 2013 at 6:50pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System