Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Hair Isn't Flourishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Hair Isn't Flourishing
    Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:27pm
My hair isn’t growing AT ALL and I don’t know why. It hasn’t grown at all in over 3 months. I know I need to improve my diet and exercise, but my products and regime, if not completely right for me, are at least not that bad. Having overcome extreme – and I mean EXTREME breakage, plus dry, hard hair recently, I gave myself 7 months to see 2 and a half to 3 and half inches by the end of the year. However, I’ve now passed the half way line and there has been NO progress.

My hair specs:

- Natural (or at least I consider myself to be)

- Coily hair, 4b I think, I’m not sure (tiny spring curls, when my hair’s behaving itself)

- Naturally dry; hair strands – fine; hair density – low, but extremely sensitive to protein

- Damaged hairline, extreme damage to temples

- Scalp is v sensitive; lots of products cause itchiness and it has also been painful in the past

- Longest length is 10 and half inches but I'll check this wkend.

My hair’s not in great condition at the moment (apart from hairline), but it’s by no mean in bad condition.It's grown more before with much more neglect.

Please help or else I’ll be destined to spend the rest of my life looking like a cross between Krusty the Clown (temples) and Ralph Wiggum (hair density).

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 04 2013 at 3:53pm
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:29pm

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 04 2013 at 4:15pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 5:33pm

MY CURRENT REGIME & PRODUCTS (in brief: co-wash once a week, overnight oil prepoo, braids}

I wear my hair braided up in 6 – 8 plaits beneath a wig, so the night before wash day I smooth an  oil mix of EVOO, jojoba, grapeseed, sweet almond and crude avocado all over my hair and take out the plaits out.

I also finger detangle but I don’t comb at this point. I massage my scalp, hair and hairline with the same oils above, plus I add JO Pimento & Castor Oil to my scalp and hairline.

I then do 4 – 6 twists and baggy overnight and fingercomb or wide toothcomb with Aussie Moist. I baggy again without heat for 20 – 40 mins and then wash out. I towel dry for about 30 – 60 mins, moisturise with a mix of UBH Crème, UBH Spray and a tiny amount of oil and either braid it up again straight away, or twist and baggy, but then braid it later that day /night.

I also have shikakai powder and Amla Coconut Oil, but I need to do patch test before I use them, plus I’m not really sure how much to use and how to use them.

yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 1:01pm

Do you ever use shampoo? What about an ACTUAL deep conditioner?

I think you should kick start your healthy hair regimen on a clean slate:

1st- oil prepoo
2nd- clarify (or chelate) shampoo
3rd- shampoo with a moisturizing sulfate free shampoo
4th-- DEEP Condition

Aussie moist is not satisfying your hair's needs. From what I remember, it smells wonderful and has slip while rinsing, but it is also cone filled and I do not remember it actually nourishing my hair (I was natural for 3.5 years and my texture was a solid 4b/c.. with 4a in the nape area).

My advice to you is to purchase an actual deep conditioner.

I would also suggest finding a new moisturizer. I loved reading Cathy's book back in 2007 and went out and bought all of her products. The ONLY one I would advise on using is the protein conditioner, and that would be on a "as needed" biases vs weekly (as she suggests).. and of course followed by an ULTRA moisturizing conditioner.

A few product recommendations. The ones in black should work great with your natural hair:

Chelating shampoo- ORS creamy aloe

Moisturizing shampoo- Creme of Nature Argan shampoo

Cowash conditioner - Edens BodyWorks coconut shea cowash (transfer this product into a bottle vs the tub it comes in)

Moisturizing conditioner- I like KeraCare Humecto in the tub.. but I am no longer natural..and while natural I cannot remember what conditioner I really liked.

Protein conditioner- * Whatever works with your hair* I have a few faves in rotation

I hope this helps a little.

You should also post your question in the natural section (if you have not already) because if the same ladies from previous years are still posting there, they are natural hair gems. Thumbs Up

Good luck!!!!!! & feel free to post more questions!!!

Edited by yaya24 - Oct 04 2013 at 1:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 3:51pm
Well, I haven't shampooed for 2-3 months and I haven't used deep conditioner for longer than that. The reasons being are that my hair is very protein sensitive - I actually have Cathy's Deep conditioner but I stopped using it as I had extreme breakage with it a few years back I used it. Plus this and other protein products make my hard, dry & crispy.

Also, my scalp has become very sensitive and the shampoos I used, even the ones for sensitive scalp itched and burned.  Having said that Creme of Nature (I forget which one) was one of the best as it was less drying and caused much less irritation. I may try the Argan one and I'll definitely look into deep conditioning again (though I'm v wary, even JBCO caused my hair to go hard and crispy this summer).

Anyhoo, I definitely post in the natural section - thanks Yaya. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 8:38am
@ Yaya (or anyone else for that matter!):

1st- oil prepoo
2nd- clarify (or chelate) shampoo
3rd- shampoo with a moisturizing sulfate free shampoo
4th-- DEEP Condition

If I use this reggie^^^ would I be able to comb with the deep conditioner on my hair? I usually comb with a mixture of Aussie Moist & Evoo

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 2:01pm
Hey Ladybug! First, (Hugs) sorry you're going through! Now, I noticed you said u towel dry and your not using heat when you baggy and no dc'ing. I'm thinking that the towel is too rough on ya strands. R u using a regular towel or microfiber one? Could I suggest a tshirt instead ? Less damage bc it's softer which equals less breakage. I also suggest cutting down your drying time with the towel too. U don't want ya hair completely dry- just damp.

In regards to baggying with no heat, maybe body heat isn't enough for the product to actually penetrate ya strands. You may need to incorporate a hooded dryer or a towel and scarf over the baggy to produce more heat so the product can penetrate ya strands.

Now, since you're dealing with dryness and breakage, I think a dc would be beneficial. I know you said that you're protein sensitive. But, ya hair needs some form of protein to stop the breakage. Plus, there are different types of protein that may not give u the crunchies. Check out some products. If you see hydrolized wheat, silk amino acids, pretty much anything with hydrolized before it= protein. Since your sensitive, u need to make sure those ingredients aren't found at the top of the list. Top shelf= hard hair for you. Incorporating more protein rich foods would help too. Almonds, fish, eggs are some good sources of protein.

I would also suggest sealing in the moisture with an oil or butter or my fav some good ol grease! Ya hair is dry bc it's craving moisture. Ya hair is breaking bc ya need some protein. The oils you're using are great, but I think you need to get your moisture-protein balance in check first and thickness will come! HTH!
Barmaid1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barmaid1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 11:33pm
Pure Organic Unrefined  Coconut Oil is the answer all day long  as it is the only essential oil that penetrates the hair shaft for actual moisture. Most oils coat the hair shaft, coconut oil can actually penetrate. Water is the only substance on this planet that can penetrate your hair shaft at 100%, coconut oil has the power of 50% penetration. The only oil that has this ability at such a high percentage. I have a relaxer and this is what I do to maintain my healthy well growing hair. I get it relaxed EVERY 6 weeks and this is my hair regimen. I wash it every two weeks using a well moisturizing shampoo and coconut oil. I wash it gently without any combs or brushes using just the tips of my fingers. Then I rinse out the shampoo and coconut oil and apply a leave in conditioner along with some more coconut oil and sometimes I use castor or almond oil to coat it down. After that, I put on a plastic shower cap and tie a scarf over it and let it sit all night. I then rinse it all out the next day and brow-dry my hair WELL  with a rubbber tooth comb. Then I apply some more more coconut oil and style it. I wrap my hair WELL every night with a do rag and try to minimize the use of heat appliances as much as possible. Essential/Natural oils are the only thing that can truly moisturize ethnic hair and stop hair breakage. The main problem with black hair care is trouble finding products that keep the hair moisturized. These so called"ethnic hair products"  being sold in stores are NOT the answer because the are not real oils. They are just good smelling products full of chemicals that are killing our ends. A lot of this stuff claim to be enriched with some essential oils like olive oil, jojoba or coconut but the question is how much? I'm thinking probably no more than a table spoon and the rest of the ingredients are chemicals that are NO good to reach and/or maintain healthy black hair. Essential oils are the answer and Coconut Oil is #1 on the list. Lastly, if you are interested in trying all of the essential oils available to you try 
Nothing But the Oils by the Secret of Eden. It can be purchased online at www.secretsofeden.com/
and it is a bottle mixed with 20 essential oils. Good Luck!!!Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 5:48pm
Hi luvmybig...

I shoulda been more specific - I use an old t-shirt to dry my hair, I blot the excess water first then wrap it around my head so it dries a bit more.

Re using heat to DC - I think you're right. I was using a conditioning cap (I think that what it's called - it's a big, hooded, soft cap thing that you plug in), but it broke down earlier this year. I was hoping Santa would bring me one for Christmas, but I guess I'd better get my cheap self down to the hair & beauty store, lol.

I also used UBH deep conditioner, which contains Aloe Vera... And I only remembered what you said about not having the protein as a top shelf ingredient when I read your post again just now! But I made sure not to load my with the DC, plus used a Aussie Moist afterwards, and although my hair felt slightly harder than usual, it didn't have that dry, crunchy feeling.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Barmaid1980 Barmaid1980 wrote:

...These so called"ethnic hair products"  being sold in stores are NOT the answer because the are not real oils. They are just good smelling products full of chemicals that are killing our ends. A lot of this stuff claim to be enriched with some essential oils like olive oil, jojoba or coconut but the question is how much? I'm thinking probably no more than a table spoon and the rest of the ingredients are chemicals that are NO good to reach and/or maintain healthy black hair.

Barmaid1980 - ITA. It's so hard to find oils / products that don't contain chemicals (not that I'm knocking anyone who does use them. I just try to avoid them as my scalp is easily irritated plus lots of those products resulted in me losing my ends). I spend so long in shops reading ingredient lists that I'm sure the assistants think I'm up to no good LOL.

Re using coconut oil - I used Vatika Coconut Oil with Amla in an oil mix prepoo for the first time this wkend. Although, it's not organic I was still impressed with the result; my strands felt stronger when I wet my hair before I applied shampoo and I didn't get those small broken hairs I used to get when I shampooed. It's early days yet but I think this, or EVCO will become a staple.

Lastly, Nothing but the Oils by Secret Garden - I am looking into to adding new products so I will defo put this one on the list to research.

Thanks for your advice:)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>