Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedMy hair is fried/edges bald!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
shahsosweet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair is fried/edges bald!
    Posted: May 07 2006 at 8:43pm
Hi Everyone!
My name is Shah and I am brand new to the forum and seeking advice.  In February I went to a really great salon and received a deep conditioning treatment, a short bob haircut and a Mizani Sensitive scalp realxer. My hair was bone straight and really healthyStar( I hadn't had a relaxer in 5 months). In April, I relaxed my hair at home with a Motions Mild deep moisturizing relaxer(premixed) and my hair was FRIED!It was coming out in huge clumps and hair was everywhere when I even just touched it gently.  I didn't know what to do with it being so short and brittle(brittle like someone lit a match to it!) so I glued a weave in my hair as a quick fixConfused. So now my  edges have completely fell out and I am sure when I take this weave out there will be no hair left except for the new growth fuzz that is left at the edgesCry. Was I not supposed to change relaxer brands? Also, what do I do now?! Any suggestions for regrowing my hair back healthy and/or styles i can do in the interim? HELP PLEASE!
Sponsored Links

jen2262 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 11:16pm
Welcome Shah,

WhoaaaShocked You did a serious job on your hair. I think maybe your first mistake was doing your relaxer by yourself. Have you ever did a self relaxer before? You probably severly overprocessed your hair and to make matters worst you then put glue in itUnhappy. I know you don't want to but sooner or later you are going to have to take out the weave and see what your hair is looking like under there. Its better to do it now, then to wait until all of your  hair is gone. Then you can take it from there. You have options so cheer upSmile: If there is some salvagable hair then you can try to regain a healthy appearance by doing serious conditioning treatments but in my opinion if its damaged that bad I would do a big chop and just nurse my hair back to health.
2bBsL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 1:21am
 i agree, if its really that bad...youll have to cut it all off i hope u dont have too but like jen said you gotta take the weave out and see whats going on under there...good luck and hang tuff!
Tasha123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:19am

I AGREE , BUT I THINK THE REASON IS THAT U SWITCH UP YOUR PERM...I REMEMBER A STYLIST ONCE TOLD ME TO ALWAYS STICK TO THE PERM THAT YOUR USE TO...BY SWITCHING YOUR JUST ASKING FOR PROBLEMS....

Edited by Tasha123 - May 08 2006 at 9:20am
Night_jasmine View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:27am
It is not the relaxer brand change, you may have left the relaxer in your hair too long.  A lot of people do that.  No more than 15 minutes should the relaxer be left in there.  What you should do is cut off your hair and start over.  NO BLOWDRYING, HOT CURLING, FLAT IRONING.  NO HEAT STYLING.  If  you want to relax your hair, dont relax it too often.  Every two months is enough.  Keep your scalp clean to allow your hair to grow fast.  And give yourself a year.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:31am
Thanks so much for the responsesThumbs Up!!! I am going to take the weave out tomorrow and see the full extent of the damage. I have been home relaxing since my first relaxer at 18 and it usually works pretty good. But this time the hair was coming out like pulled cotton. It literally feels like Brillo and thats only on the few sparse strands that I can still feel. I think a buzz cut might be in orderPinch. I am also investigating whether i should get a LF wig in the meantime cuz I can't walk around with a bald/shaved  head(did it before and my head is just to weird looking  lol) Do you think that would be more damaging? i just want to give my hair and scalp a break of about 6 months
jen2262 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 5:37pm
No problem Shah, it's time to a s s e s s  the damage my friend. I would say maybe you can go to the lacefront section and ask some of the ladies how they maintain their hair underneath, because you still need to keep this hair maintained.

PS. Nothing wrong with a buzz cut girlSmile, I've seen many girls rock it well. It even gives you the chance to decide if you want to go natural. And you get a chance to bring the focus to your face. Keep your eyebrows plucked, buy some fly earrings, and some nice make-up if you want and you should be good to go.

Okay this donkey thing is ridiculous.TongueI wonder what happens when I type "donkey".

Edited by jen2262 - May 08 2006 at 5:38pm
Martronekg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 6:43pm
Yep, sometimes all  you can do is start over and keep going. If you decide to ever relax your hair again it is best to go to a stylist and don't switch your perms no more than every 6 months. But if I could start over, I would probably go natural. It seems like people hair grow better that way.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:16pm
Yes, I think that natural is the way to goClap. Ever since I had my first relaxer at 18, my hair has never been quite that healthy again(there was another bald incident about 5 years ago involving blonde hair dye and relaxer the same day, I'm ashamed to say). I think that is a great idea. Even if I can't do it permanently, at least 6-12 months should be a good rest period.
lashon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:14am
I agree I think you should natural also.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic