Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Afros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

My family hated my hair natural

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>

Bootiful Cream

Author
rissa86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rissa86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 2:29pm
Girl that just how it. but you know what? If you take care of it, your hair is going to grow so much! You will be amazed. Give it  time and they will be all over you trying to get hair tips :)
Sponsored Links

KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 10:26am
Lol. Families. Don't worry they'll wish they did the same once they see your journey progress. My mum questions everything I do, why I wash my hair every week, why i put vinegar on it, why i mix water with glycerin, why don't relax as much as she does, why I take garlic pills... blah blah blah. "Your hair will break!"......we'll see about that.
Creation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Creation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 5:30pm
Boogiepop.. I'm so sorry your going through all this.Cry  Alot of folks just don't seem to realize how much this society has affected our idea of beauty.  You know what is really crazy is my mom was rockin a mad fro when she was in high school. And now she says all that good hair.. bad hair mess.  It makes me pretty mad at times.  But I just hope you have some people who will support and encourage you.  Sometimes you just got to let people know what is not cool to say.  Know I don't know your age so I know what your situation might effect how you talk to them.  For example if your a teenage and you live under their roof well.. then you might just have to tell them how it makes you feel.  But if you are a grown woman well.. then sometime you just have to say you aren't going for that type of talk. and don't want to hear anymore negativity.  But there are a bunch of women going natural that will support and encourage you.  You aren't the only one.. we've all heard the "girl you need a perm mess"Shocked.  But sometime if your surrounded by a bunch of peeps who aren't supportive ... you just got to counter act that by looking for some cheerleaders in your corner!! 
Avoniee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avoniee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 7:40am
Originally posted by jineat jineat wrote:

Sometimes you have to do what's right for you and walk it alone without family.
If your hair is healthy natural and you get the length your hoping for, then I say
go for it.

Natural hair can be flat ironed with a silky smooth finish just like a relaxer. Natural hair
can grow as long as relaxed hair.
if not longer!
SoulSister87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoulSister87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 9:04pm
I can relate!!
I am biracial, and never really knew how to do my hair. My hair was always curlier and frizzier than my sisters' and because of that I was always picked on and had a low self esteem. Now I am 100% natural and I love my hair the way it is. I think its great that you did your own thing too. I'm proud of you! You're very inspiring! Natural is Beautiful :)
ydlwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydlwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2012 at 7:46pm
I just had to leave a positive comment on this matter. I decided to BC and go natural almost 5 years ago. My family adored it! I have two sisters who both had perms. The women in my family got so jealous, that my sister BC'ed like a year later, and my mother followed suit like a year after. So there's not always BAD feedback from our black community. I've found that even when I'm out clubbing, weaved up/permed sistas compliment me on my "boldness", and even on my FB I get compliments on my natural styles. Just food for thought!
Bobbi1283 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbi1283 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2012 at 5:39pm
I am going thru this right now Cry. After I got my BC my grandma and Aunts were like "Why would you allow them to do that to you hair?" and my little cousin kept calling me buckwheat. I came to work today and it was a BIG shock for people, most just stared but said nothing. I did expect this working in a hospital. It seems like all I can do is cry because I am not happy with myself right now. I haven't had a perm in 6 years but it was so heat damaged that I had to get it cut off and I am not sure what to do with my hair anymoreCry.
lovelybrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovelybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2012 at 5:49pm
Ahh! I went to my sister's for Easter. I announced that I was going natural and told them I was thinking about BCing. My dad said he likes my hair long and straight. And my sister said to transistion. I love the idea of doing a big chop - I can't keep my hands out of the kinky roots. I do think I will BC, but after a year because I want enough hair to be able to bun.

Just keep it moving and do what's best for you.
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2012 at 5:32pm
OP, you should wear a big PHAT natural afro whenever you are around them :)
indigobluez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indigobluez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 3:35pm
i know im late.but a few years back (around 2005) my mom gave me alot of hell when i decided to go all natural..

its now 2012 & SHE'S ROCKN A BIG OLE FRO! who would have thought!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic