Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My experience with Coconut Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Aerie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:47am
It sounds like too much protein for your hair, and lack of moisture. 

I've heard of a fair number of women who can't use coconut oil due to the protein. 
Sponsored Links

Belladva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:38pm
It definately was the coconut oil. My lesson in this, I can not use coconut oil as a sealer for my hair. Today was my wash day, so I switched my routine:

Deep conditioned overnight with Hairveda SITRINILLAH DEEP CONDITIONER mixed with Sunflower oil
Shampooed this morning, ACV rinse, Lustra silk hair mayonnaise (30 minutes under the steamer)
Miracle 7 deep conditioner and sealed with castor oil (l left this on my hair for 4 hours and then steamed for 30 minutes)
Giovanni leave in conditioner and sealed with sunflower oil.
Flat ironed my hair.

My hair feels amazing!!!! I can run my fingers over it and no breakage!!!!
Scarletphoenix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletphoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2012 at 7:47pm
Glad you solved your problem. I don't know why as a natural I am horrified of straightening my hair. However my hair loves coconut oil and the sheen it gives it is amazing! Id love to see pics of your hair! Im sure it gorgeous! 
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 6:09pm
my hair doesn't like coconut oil (unless it is rinsed out) either so i definitely understand.  

that being said, i STILL went out and purchased the sheamoisture curl enhancing smoothie b/c it was on crazy sale for $6.  le sigh.  let's see how this plays out.
EasterBell View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasterBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:28pm
I'm thinking protein overload
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:56pm
My hair dislikes coconut oil as a sealer, pre poo and definitely high on the ingredients list....coconut oil is not the miracle oil like some claim.
butterfly3582 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfly3582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 12:11pm
My hair tend to like coconut oil.  Although i go back and forth between that and olive oil.  However, as will all things it is not for everyone. 

From my research coconut oil does not contain protein.  The straw like feeling is usually because the tendency to use to much,  because coconut oil is not as thick as other oils.  Coconut milk does contain protein however.

Research also suggest that it holds on to protein..which is why some protein sensitive individuals may have issues with it.

Finally..coconut oil is one of the few oil that does actually penetrate the shaft.  While it is not a moisturizer per say..It can help the strand with strength and flexibility. 

solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:49pm
sounds like you used too many products before flat ironing.
Elegantmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elegantmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 12:32am
It sounds not good. Maybe something is wrong with coconut oil. Can change the other oil.
Napp View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Napp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 12:53pm
yeah ive had bad experiences with coconut oil too. it wasnt worth it at allThumbs Down
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic