FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

My Edges Will Never Grow Back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Edges Will Never Grow Back
    Posted: May 19 2016 at 2:22pm
I've spent years (nearly a decade) dealing with my edges. Trying different creams, techniques, etc. It would grow back somewhat then fall out all over again. Over and over. Year after year. I didn't want to accept the truth. I've gotten scalp injections, microneedling, yam/hormone lotions, and more. Nothing. Worked. 

I've decided to save my sanity and accept the reality. My edges are what they are. And I also stopped blaming my mom for the tight hairstyles. I had naturally thin edges. Any typical african and black hairstyle would have pulled my edges. Even when I started to "protect" my edges as an adult, it didn't matter. The slightest bit of tension caused my edges to lack luster. In order for me to have edges today, I would have needed to been a free afro type of girl most of my life. But my afro is a chronic TWA and that didn't make me feel beautiful. And even when I was confident with bald or twa hair styles, sometimes I wanted to switch it up.

What I'm doing now is I'm going to get microblade tattoo. Cheaper than scalp tattoos done for men (2,000$$+) which last 10 years, I'm doing what's done for eyebrows ($100+) and it lasts up to 1 year. I'm doing this just to see how I like the idea of tattoo. 

But eventually I'm just going to do a hair transplant ($7,000+).

I stopped using Toppik and other hair fibers because I figured there's no way those particles couldn't produce a health issue. And now there is scientific studies that prove that it can lead to lung cancer. 

Anyone else struggling with edges and ready to face the music? What do you do?
Sponsored Links

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2017 at 11:25pm
i wish i had seen this sooner. have you tried castor oil? there's a 1-inch in one week challenge that requires warm castor oil to be massaged on scalp. i think that's something you could try to do but daily. it doesn't even have to be warmed up. you could do it while you save money for the surgery. 
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2017 at 2:30pm
Good luck with it.
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2017 at 5:05pm
damn..

probably too late..

I have alopecia areata.. It started with traction alopecia from wearing tight hairstyles.  Then i gave up weaves/perms/braids. altogether.

My hair grew back.  A nice big full head of hair -4c..  and i thought all my hair troubles were over.. We wound moving, and i went through stress after stress over job hunting, dealing with these Mexicans over here and their silliness.  (They like "running people out" that aren't hispanic.)

Long story short..BOOM  all my hair fell out.  And it KEPT falling out every single year for 15 years.  It would grow back and every winter, 3/4 of all of my hair fell out in different patterns.. Mostly large oblong/oval patches. Sometimes, ALL of it just fell out..

I gave up on home remedies.. But i did find some products that seem to work.  This past winter,  i  had one patch of hair fall.. and some shedding in the "usual" areas. I retained 3/4 versus losing 1/4.

The Profectiv Hair line really helped, JBCO, and hair trigger growth oil..  

Profectiv is protein based.. so that might have been where my deficiencies were.

The Hair trigger is not meant to be used on your hair except as a pre-poo.  otherwise you use it only on your scalp.  the JBCO is a sealant after i moisturize with the Protectiv hair products.

I really wish you luck with that hair transplant.. It's risky.. but heck.. Nothing ventured. nothing gained..

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2017 at 7:16am
I agree with Femmemuscleisback and Sexy and Famous, that OIL and PROTEIN are the biggest part of the solution. I think that a penetrating oil like COCONUT  OIL which women in India use to grow hair down to the floor is perfect for this. It contains protein AND is absorbed into the hair, unlike castor oil, which simply coats the hair and sits on top.  Hearing from Femmemusceisback that her hair broke off every WINTER, is also very telling. The Winter is when fragile hair is DRYEST and will break and snap due to dryness unless it is nourished with  nourishing, moisture rich oil and protein. COCONUT OIL has ALL of that. You can add the castor oil to your scalp and over top of the coconut oil as a sealer if additional is needed. But the coconut oil will be key IMHO. Apply it frequently and find an appropriate protective style, like cornrows and a wig. Best wishes!

PS I need to add a testimony. My color treated hair never grew below neck length UNTIL I started using COCONUT OIL daily for 2 years straight in 2013. I used Monistat and  sulfur oil on the scalp also, but I feel that Coconut Oil on the HAIR was and continues to be a big part of length retention for me.

PSS PLEASE Forget all those strategies that have you using things that dry out the hair like Clay, a lot of  drying gels, excessive drying  shampooing etc. Drying clays, gels and excessive shampooing will leave you BALD HEADED! You need the main thing the women in India use in their hair to the floor .... COCONUT OIL! Monistat and sulfur oils like  Liquid Gold and Shapley's MTG  (applied to the scalp only) will also help. But they won't make a difference unless you RETAIN the hair by applying coconut oil to the HAIR regularly.

So in review... Monistat and Liquid Gold or Shapley's MTG to the scalp.  But most importantly, COCONUT OIL to the hair every other day at least. Keep the hair in a protective style like cornrows under a wig for up to two months and redo.  Use the above on the hair and scalp regularly throughout each week. Best wishes and keep us updated.

Note to self, buy a big tub of unrefined coconut oil and apply to hair daily.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 10 2017 at 7:49am
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2017 at 2:18pm
OH, another prize oil that you may actually prefer to coconut oil is RED PALM OIL sister!
RED PALM OIL is perhaps the MOST nourishing and moisturizing oil. And like coconut oil, it contains both protein and moisture by virtue of being from a protein rich food stuff

Another notable mention is mustard oil which can be bought from Indian markets. Many women in India massage their scalps with mustard oil and consider it a secret to hair growth. They use coconut oil on the hair itself most frequently.  Another treatment Indian women use is yogurt as a conditioner, but that's another issue. As I said above, many of them have hair that hangs down to touch the floor.... not falling out onto  the floor LOL

I make a concoction of mustard oil, coconut oil and red palm oil in fact. I like that one too. But COCONUT OIL and RED PALM OIL are two of the best IMHO. You may use the castor oil on the scalp. But you NEED these to keep the hair on your head and to keep it from snapping off and ending up on the floor or in the sink.
PS Emu oil is good too but expensive. If you want to start with and stick to just one, I would say COCONUT OIL or if your hair is really dry, RED PALM OIL. Use it daily.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 10 2017 at 2:34pm
Rosebud39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 8:52pm
This is very good information!! I made a mixture of coconut oil and sulfur to use on my scalp and my hair flourish ed!!
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Rosebud39 Rosebud39 wrote:

This is very good information!! I made a mixture of coconut oil and sulfur to use on my scalp and my hair flourish ed!!

how much it grew in a month?
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 4:30pm
Be careful and listen to ur hair with coconut oil. My hair does not like coconut oil but loves jbco and oddly vegetable oil. My hair had a set back at the beautician and was almost shoulder length, and is now back at bra strap length in 6 months. I use bentonite clay 4 times a year. I use flaxseed gel and eco styler on curly styles about 6 times a year. I straighten my hair about 8 times a year. My hair is very healthy and even. I'd say guvingbur hair a break and keeping up with a good moisture/protein balance is the best thing to do. I'm 4a. Don't manipulate ur hair all the time. Good luck.
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phattrabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 1:03pm
I don't know if the link I am trying to post will work, but if not YouTube: Natural Transplants African American and look at the girl Tonya's story. They have many other testimonials as well. I went to Dr. Huebner in Bethesda, MD and got this transplant done on 4/6. I paid $6000. 

I did PLENTY of research because I previously had gotten this done by a doctor who didn't know ish about African hair and only did the FUE procedure. I thought it would be better and less invasive, not knowing that the FUE is not generally good for curlier textured hair. Ended up getting a refund from that doc (thank GOD!) after he redid it and still nothing grew. Come to find out he was a previous family practice physician whose license was suspended for Medicaid Fraud and decided to randomly go into hair transplanting. SMFH. That was back in 2012, so there was not nearly as much info out there as there is now. 

I am just at the 3 month mark, just when hair is supposed to start growing and I am seeing new hairs already, although it sparse and thin (but that is to be expected) it starts thickening from 6 mos on and full results at 18 mos.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic