Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Products > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Topic ClosedMy daughter wants a perm......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
alabamakim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My daughter wants a perm......
    Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:24am
Gooood Morning..
Ladies  my 13yrs daughter wants a perm nowCry. For the past 13 yrs I've been grooming, nurturing and braiding her hair, just trying not to make those mistakes I made with my own. She use to look at my bald, patchy scalp an ask what happen to my hair. I told her that it was do to years of perms, chemicals, glues and weaves, that it damaged it to the point of no return. we were doing good with the cute stylish braids and the days she just wore her afro puff. Her hair looks kinda that Joan on Girlfriends, but not as long or as curly. Then I would say the perm issue came up around about middleschool. She started saying momma I want a permOuch. I was like why baby your hair is so thick and beautiful, then I said is someone calling you nappyhead or something at school. She said no, actually those girls love squeezing my afro puff they say it feels like cotton, I said you tell them to keep their germy hands out you head, what does their ponytails look like, she said ooh their look like eyelashesLOL. I can't  play with theirs.I said well that my be due to those permsConfused. But that still haven't detoured her. Now she'll be starting the 8th next week, and she has her heart set on getting a perm. Should I or Should I not help ladies..
Sponsored Links

Greetings View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:29am
NO!!!! DON'T PERM HER HAIR!!!!

Ok, ok...maybe that's selfish, but perms really can be damaging to hair as you know.

LOL @ her hair feeling like cotton. That hair will feel like STRAW after you add those chemicals. Well maybe not...if you take care of it.

Perhaps she just wants a change. Maybe she wants a different style/look, and she thinks a perm is the way to go. Have you ever pressed of flat ironed her hair at all? If she wants a straight look, take her to the hair salon for a wash and blow-dry. Be careful that this doesn't turn to a weekly thing though because heat can be damaging as well.

Actually, get her a lace wig. LOL!
innovativelace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:32am
maybe start with a texturizer first. It will loosen her curls but won't  make her hair super straight. That may be a good compromise. I remember when I was 14, I wanted a perm and my mom said no, I had my girlfriends put one in anyway thinking my mom wasn't going to find out. Lo and behold, I had scars and everything on my scalp, and got a real good whoopin.
mimi1218 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:43am
NO,don't do it wait till shes a little older take her to the salon an get it pressed.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:44am
Shes had a press, she siad it does't last long enough.Is a texturizer like a perm?
gainingmyfocus View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:45am
Take her to a salon and get her a good press and curl. They can press her out bone straight no matter how thick and tightly curled it is. She can wear it straight to school, but press and curls don't last long, and if she gets around water or humidity, back to afro puff. But I think a good press and curl will make both of you guys happy.
TransitAngst View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:47am
I agree with everyone who said to let her get it pressed. That way she can change it up without making a permanent change. When she's a few years older, maybe 16, then she can get a relaxer if she wants. Soon she'll realize that it's her hair.
ssauga babe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 8:53am
Originally posted by alabamakim alabamakim wrote:

Gooood Morning..
Ladies  my 13yrs daughter wants a perm nowCry. For the past 13 yrs I've been grooming, nurturing and braiding her hair, just trying not to make those mistakes I made with my own. She use to look at my bald, patchy scalp an ask what happen to my hair. I told her that it was do to years of perms, chemicals, glues and weaves, that it damaged it to the point of no return. we were doing good with the cute stylish braids and the days she just wore her afro puff. Her hair looks kinda that Joan on Girlfriends, but not as long or as curly. Then I would say the perm issue came up around about middleschool. She started saying momma I want a permOuch. I was like why baby your hair is so thick and beautiful, then I said is someone calling you nappyhead or something at school. She said no, actually those girls love squeezing my afro puff they say it feels like cotton, I said you tell them to keep their germy hands out you head, what does their ponytails look like, she said ooh their look like eyelashesLOL. I can't  play with theirs.I said well that my be due to those permsConfused. But that still haven't detoured her. Now she'll be starting the 8th next week, and she has her heart set on getting a perm. Should I or Should I not help ladies..

I so feel you...

My daughter is now 15 (geez where do the years go?) and she started giving me heck from Middle School about the perming thing.  I resisted for years even though I too was tempted as she has some thick and long hair and it was giving me carpal tunnel to comb it out.  So I caved for Snr High School and I regret it every day.

Truthfully, the perm isn't really the problem.  It's that she now tries to do so much to the hair.  She wore the ponytail thing until she lost much of the hair around the edges and at the back.  Then there was some slicked down bangs thing.  I don[t even understand the hairdos! Shocked We moved to a short cut recently so that she couldn't do the ponytail anymore but she abuses that hair badly still with a million clips and barrettesCry

She lost about 6 inches from ponytail abuse and the front from the damn bangsAngry!

So I am not in favour of the chemical processing for themCry  My mother warned me too...Embarrassed

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 9:02am
Do you all know it cost about $35-$45 to get a good press, Thats the same as a salon style. When I was growing up the press and curl lady use to be $7 and then she would throw in some shirley temples too...
divinetouch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 11:29am
I would suggest that you get her a testurizer so that it will loosen up the curls and tight puff!!! After she receive a testurizer that's when she can get a good press it should last longer!!! Give her a testurizer once a year!!!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>