Post Reply Post Reply
Hair ViVi

Author
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My brief review on Calmoseptine for acne
    Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 9:51am
Basically I had this huge acne that came to a head but I was scared to squeeze it because when I do attempt to squeeze it to drain the pus and blood, I wind up with a dark scar and reinfection (results in cystic acne).  One day I see my mom applying this cream on her skin and I asked her what happened.  She said that she burned her self while she was cooking.  I asked her what was she using and she mentioned she was using a sample of Calmoseptine that she got for free while at a conference.  I asked her can I take a look at it and I looked at the ingredients.  It contains similar ingredients to the diaper rash cream called Butt Paste.  But this Calmoseptine contains phenol, calamine, thymol, menthol and something else. 

When I applied it it has that typical phenol scent (if you grew up with Dettol you would recognize it) and I believe menthol.  The smell fades away in an hour or two.  The cream is very thick and off white in color so I applied it at night.  When I woke up, the acne has crusted with dried pus and shrunk down in size.  Now on my second day, more dried pus and the zit has shrunk down 80%.  Not trying to convince anyone to rush out and get this because it may not work for everyone since it contains irritating ingredients.  But I like it for the use.  Now I am using it in off label use because it is used in treating adults who are bed ridden and need to heal bedsores, rashes, hemorrhoids, diaper rashes on children, etc.  But I researched it and someone wrote a testimonial for treating adult acne that is rosacea related.

You can find this at Walgreens at the pharmacy counter but you don't need a script for it.  The average price is 7 US dollars for four ounces.  But the cream is very thick so a little goes a long way.
Sponsored Links

PurplePumps View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 9:54am
 Hm, I may have to try this.  I'm currently looking for a HG of acne products.  I've started a regimen of applying lemon juice after my toner and the mint julep mask before my moisturizer...it seems to be working a little bit.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by PurplePumps PurplePumps wrote:

Hm, I may have to try this.  I'm currently looking for a HG of acne products.  I've started a regimen of applying lemon juice after my toner and the mint julep mask before my moisturizer...it seems to be working a little bit.

If you do try it, just be careful in using this because lemon juice tends to make your skin very sensitive.  And test an inconspicuous area.  Just dab a bit on a pimple that has come to a head.  I have one pimple that is underneath my skin and has not come to a head.  I applied some of the cream there.  It hasn't shrunk much but it doesn't hurt as much.  I will keep applying the cream just in case it comes to a head.  I also read that you can use this cream on bug bites to dry it up.  Also keep the receipt in case you don't care for it.  In fact, ask the pharmacist if you can return it in case you have an allergic reaction.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 10:03am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

If you do try it, just be careful in using this because lemon juice tends to make your skin very sensitive.  And test an inconspicuous area.  Just dab a bit on a pimple that has come to a head.  I have one pimple that is underneath my skin and has not come to a head.  I applied some of the cream there.  It hasn't shrunk much but it doesn't hurt as much.  I will keep applying the cream just in case it comes to a head.  I also read that you can use this cream on bug bites to dry it up.  Also keep the receipt in case you don't care for it.  In fact, ask the pharmacist if you can return it in case you have an allergic reaction.

My mom has some Dettol sitting under her cabinet.  Is that supposed to work for acne too?

Proactiv really isn't hittin' like it used to when I first started using it...and I've noticed that if my face clears up, I get body acne in place of it.  Using proactiv for me is like choosing where you'd rather have your acne.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 10:12am

My mom has some Dettol sitting under her cabinet.  Is that supposed to work for acne too?

Proactiv really isn't hittin' like it used to when I first started using it...and I've noticed that if my face clears up, I get body acne in place of it.  Using proactiv for me is like choosing where you'd rather have your acne.

I think it does but it has been years since I used it.  I mean years.  If you decide to use the Dettol, first try it diluted and rinse your face with it, avoiding the eyes, nose, and mouth area.  I think some people use a q-tip and dip it in the Dettol and apply on active pimples.  But again it has been years since I used Dettol.

Personally I never had success with ProActiv because it was too harsh for my skin.  By then they reformulated their product so I don't know how the new product works.  But anyways just slowly introduct new products into your skin or else you will shock your skin into producing more acne as a response.  Meanwhile, drink more water and reduce your intake of processed sugars and flours. 
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 10:45am

I think it does but it has been years since I used it.  I mean years.  If you decide to use the Dettol, first try it diluted and rinse your face with it, avoiding the eyes, nose, and mouth area.  I think some people use a q-tip and dip it in the Dettol and apply on active pimples.  But again it has been years since I used Dettol.

Personally I never had success with ProActiv because it was too harsh for my skin.  By then they reformulated their product so I don't know how the new product works.  But anyways just slowly introduct new products into your skin or else you will shock your skin into producing more acne as a response.  Meanwhile, drink more water and reduce your intake of processed sugars and flours. 

Yeah, for me the new Proactiv doesn't work as well as the old Proactiv, but it still works...besides the side effects, that is.  I'm gonna see about that Dettol my mom has, thanks!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 5:19pm
NP
DarkBrown View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 5:19pm
great review
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 7:15pm
^Thank you :)
honeybee10 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2011 at 4:51pm
Calmoseptine is awesome. We used to use it on our pts for diaper area irritation and stage 1 bedsores. Its very expensive $70 for a tube, but it is a great product. I've never used it for acne. Interesting thought though...
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic