Extensions Plus

Forum LockedMSM and headaches?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Moodyma'am View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSM and headaches?
    Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 5:40am
Hi ladies!

I started on the MSM (750mg capsules) 3 weeks ago.  I initially started on 1500mg  taken first thing in the morning with my breakfast.  I'd heard that you need to up your water intake whilst on this supplement so I've been drinking approximately 80- 100oz of water a day (but if i'm honest, sometimes i forget and it may be less than that)

last week I upped my intake to 3000mg  & boy o boy have i been getting some KILLER Dead headaches.  My headache on Saturday night came on so fast, i couldnt even make it out the door.  took to my bed at 7pm!!. 

the headaches do eventually dissappear when i drink a LOT of water so I'm guessing its the MSM drying me out.

I know people say to up your intake of water on MSM but how much is everyone else drinking and do you religiously stick to that amount? 

the following website states that nausea, diarrhea and headaches as possible side-effects. http://www.medicinenet.com/methylsulfonylmethane_msm-oral/article.htm

if it turns out i'm drinking no where near enough water, I'll try it again .  otherwise, i'll have to stopCry

TIA
Sponsored Links

Sidney View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 7:29am
You also need to eat food whenever yuou take supplements. I only take 200mg per day, if it persists you can always start off with a smaller dose and increase. I never got headaches but it may have something to do with the detox.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 7:50am
thanks for replying SidneySmile

yeah, I always make sure take my supplements with food to avoid any stomach upsets and to make sure they absorb properly.  But hey, i never thought that it might be the detox itself causing headaches - thanks! toxins can cause headaches - right?

I reduced my dosage down to 1500mg yesterday cos thats the dosage i initially started on with no problems.  by about 7pm last night i started with another monster headache - so bad i had to take some superstrong painkillers (& i dont really like doing that)  i'm having a day off today.

That aside, i had yet another day where i wasnt taking as much water thru the day as usual (i'm a bit of a boom/bust with that).  And when i think about it, I had quite a few coffees during the day on saturday and not much water.

I'm hoping that if i keep up my water intake to an appropriate level the headaches willl stop (I want optimum hair growth for the winter growth challenge).  But I also want to reassure myself that headaches are a common side effect of MSM if u dont keep up with the water.

If it turns out I'm having an adverse reaction to MSM though, I'll stop.

Sidney View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 8:03am

Thats what was thinking. Here's an excerpt from an article that agrees with us:

Some people who dive into MSM wholeheartedly may experience a toxic headache as the body eliminates into the bloodstream old toxic matter that the cells have been retaining for years. I feel good taking two tablespoons a day, but considering the toxic headache I experienced for a day and a half, would suggest that beginners use a teaspoon twice a day until they clear out a reasonable amount of toxins. Remember, MSM doesn't cause headaches any more than fasting does, it is simply a agent that facilitates the release of accumulated poisons.

Sidney View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 8:07am
By the way, you're really pretty, you look like eva mendes...
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 9:02am
i've been taking MSM for 2 weeks now thanks to the advice of this forum. I haven't noticed any headaches but I have been going to the bathroom A LOT. I think it's safe to say that MSM is a diuretic, like caffeine. I'd bet if you weigh yourself that you've also lost a lot of water-weight to be experiencing dehydration symtoms so severe. I am terrible when it comes to water but I drink juice too. I'd say I drink about 48 oz. of water and about 16 oz. of juice/day.

Confusedterrible, i know.

I have been taking 1000 mg/day. But i'd like to start taking 2000/day in 2 seperate doses as recommended on the package. I know i definately need to double my water intake before I can up the dose. so far I have noticed: I pee alot, and that I don't need as much sleep, like i don't have as much of a problem getting up and staying up if need be. I don't feel hyper or caffinated though. I noticed dehydration when I first started (dry lips) but that's about it.

Edited by melikey - Oct 03 2006 at 9:10am
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 9:06am
oh, and one more thing my momma told me is the pee test.  in general, urine should be almost clear if your'e properly hydrated. Of course some vitamins can change the color of urine. But it's a good rule in general.
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 9:36am

Some people are getting results with taking their MSM in doses, like three times per day.  This method eliminates headaches for some.  MSM will change the color of urine, and you will pee a lot.  I have lost six pounds after starting MSM.

I started on the pills, then I started on the powder on Sunday.  I think that I am going back on the pills.  I am having chronic insomnia, I have been up all night Sleepy

Edited by Claudie - Oct 03 2006 at 9:38am

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Sidney Sidney wrote:

Thats what was thinking. Here's an excerpt from an article that agrees with us:

Some people who dive into MSM wholeheartedly may experience a toxic headache as the body eliminates into the bloodstream old toxic matter that the cells have been retaining for years. I feel good taking two tablespoons a day, but considering the toxic headache I experienced for a day and a half, would suggest that beginners use a teaspoon twice a day until they clear out a reasonable amount of toxins. Remember, MSM doesn't cause headaches any more than fasting does, it is simply a agent that facilitates the release of accumulated poisons.

Aah its all making sense now.  I doubled my dose after giving my body one week to get used to the new introduction of MSM.   I'll  try to have water on the hour every  to try & flush those toxins out & keep my body hydrated.  thanks for posting that article excerpt Sid.  You've put my mind at rest,  its a toxic headache!

and thank you so much for the compliment EmbarrassedBig smile.  thats me before i started transitioning so I dont look like that anymore.  I've got about 1.5inches of bushy new growth  now so i have to pull  it back  to make it lie down.  LOL 

melikey - thank you for replyingSmile.  I've noticed the slightly dry lips too &  i hadnt been having the usual frequent toilet visits with MSM onte days whe n i developed the headaches.     however i take MSM & multivits so its always a crazy colour!   talk about radioactive LOL!!  I'll double my intake of water, thats what i'll do

THANKS LADIES!Big smile

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 9:42am
wow!
The powder must REALLY be much more potent. I take the pill form and for example, I went to sleep at 4am and woke up at 9:30am on my own and I feel terrific!
I think I'll stick to the pills cause otherwise i'd be up all night too!LOL
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic